Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New start, new industry!

Default New start, new industry!

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would introduce myself, my name is Ben and I am just in the process of the final planning of setting up my new company: . I recently finished up at my last job and so am pushing this to be my full time position and business to help support my future. I had experience working in the industry about 10 years ago, working part time for someone whilst going through uni. I come from a background in sales and so was hoping to be able to use my combined skills to make a successful lawn mowing and property care here up in Brisbane.

I have to say I have been really impressed by all the knowledge on this site and the deals that Dean offers and was quite happy to join as a member last week.

I have some questions I would like to ask about which equipment I should buy to start up with but think maybe this should be in the private forum...

My first simple one should I start off with a self propelled or push mower? Any brands or products you would recommend? Commercial gear of course.

Any advice you can give me as a starter that you wish you had known?

Appreciate your help and look forward to getting to know you all and learning from your wealth of experience.

Cheers,

Ben
    Last edited by administrator; 18-06-2014 at 12:17 PM.

Default Re: New start, new industry!

Hi there Benno. Welcome aboard.
    Honda self propelled or Rover are good.(both are commercial quality) You dont want to push mowers all day. the Rover is a hell of allot cheaper than the Honda. you can always get a bagain off ebay or gumtree to start out. dont get one thats been bashed around.
    There are allot of different views around. so what ever is in your budget i reckon.
    get a good quality straight shaft whipper snipper. and most of all make sure its light to hold all day long.
    blower can be as cheap as the pope blower from big W.
    if you're a shorts wearer, get the shin guards off Dean. you will need them.
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Hi Benno,

Firstly start by buying what you can afford.

Honda make a good motor, rover make a good mower!

Rover are good for the price and replacement parts are cheap compared with the Honda. Be careful buying second hand with anything but a basic mower as stuff like self propelled etc is very hard to identify a problem on the fly. When a rover is $600-700 why buy second hand anyway!

In regards to other equipment, go and try. Feel the weight and if possible try a few different units as they are all different in little ways. Stihl and Shindaiwa are mentioned a lot.
    Build up a reputation with a store you like and when you need a service or part they will go out of their way to help you when you need it most! Also bargin a little on price, all places have a "contractor" price, especially if you buy most of your equipment from them.
    Independent and i know it

Hi Ben,

Drop me a private message if you want to catch up as I am just round the corner from you, I may be able to help you out with a few things and my back ground is the same.

Sharpie.

Thanks for your input guys.

In regards to shorts, I've done enough whipper snipping to know for me it's worth wearing the long pants for, even if it is hotter it's no fun getting my legs shredded. I was thinking of visiting a work wear uniform store and getting a high vis long sleeve shirt with the cotton cool-breeze type material and cool-breeze type pants as well, it gets pretty damn hot up here in Brisbane. I am hoping to get them embroided with company details for minimum cost to help provide that professional look.

I heard from Dean it is a better idea to buy my mower new if I can afford it, so now I think I will check out the Rovers, I am going on my pricing rounds to the commercial mowing places tomorrow. It's nice to hear the self propelled are the way to go as this matches my thinking. For the whipper snipper and hedger I was thinking of getting something like the Shindi, and yes the lighter the better. As my back up I already have my home gear, whilst not great, it is a Ryobi Expand-IT capable whipper snipper which I was thinking of getting the hedger and brush cutter attachment, perhaps even the pruner attachment as it gives me a cheap way of having back up gear from the one power unit, which so far in my own experience I have found the power head to be very reliable. Good option you think?

http://www.ryobi.com.au/Products/Accessories/ExpandIt

Vehicle wise, I am going to sell my current car and get something like a Falcon BA ute with canopy, which should cost me pretty much nothing on the changeover which is a plus? Good option you think? The ones I am looking at have LPG fuel so am hoping to save a few dollars in running costs. However I am a little concerned how the LPG will hold up in the heat of Brissy summers, has anyone ever had any experience with LPG vehicles in the heat?

Sharpie I really appreciate the offer and have sent you a PM.

Gday Ben and welcome. I'm in Toowoomba and while we don't generally get the humidity in Summer we still get within couple of degrees of Brissy temps. Re uniform I wear a navy Bisley shirt with the mesh armpits and also dark olive green (when they're new) King Gee trousers which looks pretty smart if I do say so myself. I have my business name embroidered over my left pocket and in vinyl lettering across my back. Can't say I ever had someone say they called me because they saw my name on my clothes but it looks professional. Unless you want to wash every night get several sets and at least half a dozen pairs of good quality socks. Mightn't seem like a big deal but it's good to put on a dry pair of socks during the day when you need to. ;-)

Good luck with it all. You sound like your head's screwed on right!

http://www.bisleyworkwear.com.au/Coo...t-Long-Sleeve/

http://www.kinggee.com.au/workcool-drill-pant-65.html

You cam allways get the high vis shirts dirt cheap at a $2 shop... we did this in the beginning. And got the logos printed on the back.
    now wear the high vis, king gee or bisley
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Quote Originally Posted by Benno View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I thought I would introduce myself, my name is Ben and I am just in the process of the final planning of setting up my new company: . I recently finished up at my last job and so am pushing this to be my full time position and business to help support my future. I had experience working in the industry about 10 years ago, working part time for someone whilst going through uni. I come from a background in sales and so was hoping to be able to use my combined skills to make a successful lawn mowing and property care here up in Brisbane.

I have to say I have been really impressed by all the knowledge on this site and the deals that Dean offers and was quite happy to join as a member last week.

I have some questions I would like to ask about which equipment I should buy to start up with but think maybe this should be in the private forum...

My first simple one should I start off with a self propelled or push mower? Any brands or products you would recommend? Commercial gear of course.

Any advice you can give me as a starter that you wish you had known?

Appreciate your help and look forward to getting to know you all and learning from your wealth of experience.

Cheers,

Ben
    Are you buying a established round ?
    Because that's the only way your going to make any money,building a round to some sort of income say $400 a week can take months to several months.Just depends how much competition there's around you.
    Last edited by administrator; 14-07-2014 at 11:12 AM.

No I am starting out fresh.. I thought about buying an established round but there wasn't anything nearby or that I thought was good value. I don't want to be travelling 20km just to start my rounds for the day. I was thinking along the lines of using the money I would to buy a round as my salary for the time it takes me to get going.

Most guys have a income and mow part time in building a round to a sizable amount of income before giving up there full time job.Can be a long slow process.You think you need a income..buy a round.

I was made redundant and got a nice payout but didn't have a choice...

While you got money to buy a small round in getting started and buy some used equipment to get started and build on the round and have some advertising somewhere so people can find you.

If a round is available 20ks away buy it and build a round near home at the same time then sell off what you don't want later.

There will be two periods in the year when nothing is growing for months and no money will be made,are you able to survive during these times and living off 2 minute noodles.

We have had others on here saying they just can't survive and pull out during droughts which was very noticeable around 4-5 years ago.Think ahead as your main priority is customers first as a priority.

After reading the last few posts I would get advertising ASAP! once you have all the equipment so you can start.

At least get a basic website going and update gumtree constantly. Also make up some flyers (use the info dean has provided) 1/3 A4 work and can be quite cheap to make up at home without spending a lot. Drop a few thousand while your not working. Pretty much get your name out there as soon as possible and spread the word!

This is where your sales skills will help, as having success in this business relies a lot in having really good people skills.
    Independent and i know it

this ^^

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by SM MOWING View Post
    After reading the last few posts I would get advertising ASAP! once you have all the equipment so you can start.

At least get a basic website going and update gumtree constantly. Also make up some flyers (use the info dean has provided) 1/3 A4 work and can be quite cheap to make up at home without spending a lot. Drop a few thousand while your not working. Pretty much get your name out there as soon as possible and spread the word!

This is where your sales skills will help, as having success in this business relies a lot in having really good people skills.
    Also make up some flyers

Best time to put out flyers is on rubbish day because you can put it in the rubbish bin for them,that's where 99% of them end up.

Realistically you need to advertise in every way possible and all the time.

If you incorporate..
    The web
    Flyers
    Local paper
    Shopping centre notice boards
    Vehicle signage

It takes a bit of everything and it must be done all the time to having your next customer finding you.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast