Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many Mowers?

Default Re: How many Mowers?

My gears:
    - 2x Honda HRX217 HYA
    - Dr trimmer (wheel trimmer, 6.5, B&S 190cc, 4.4mm cord)
    - Husqvarna ZR ride on mower
    - Shindi M230 & M2510 with hedge trimmer, 2x line trimmer, pole saw, rotary scissor
    - Stihl BG86 (vacuum kit) & Shindi EB508RT (Echo PB500)

Will get Shindi 2200DH trimmer & Husqvarna HU725AWD/BBC in July (sell my honda Hrx217) and might be Wright 48" stand on next year

* Two 21 inch Victa Turfmasters with the Honda engines, rotated and repaired like PaulG mentioned

* One 22 inch Victa Mulchmaster/Utility with the Honda Donk - would be lost without it whilst convincing more and more customers to mulch on appropriate lawns.

* One 18 inch Masport Commercial Pushie with the Honda engine for small units.

* One Husky 42inch 26hp rear catcher, never use the catcher - always mulch with this one.

* Also one back up 18inch orange Husqvarna push mower with Briggs/S engine - Masport Clone (inherited this Mower and it's great at mulching too)

The above fleet keeps me chugging along like "Casey Jones", the younger set may have to Google it
    Cheers Garry

1 Push mower
    2 Ride ons (42inch and 54inch)

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

I've got a 217 honda which if I ever fix will be for rough stuff
    a rover pro 22" s/p good for bigger lawns but I need to clean the carbie
    a honda 196 old model that is being stored at my mower shop ever since I bought my limited edition 19" masport pushy. Was only mean't to be there til the masport needed some work but I've used the masport on every lawn since I've bought it and nothing has ever gone wrong with it in nearly 12 months.

How do you find the Mulchmaster Garry? Has it proven to be reliable and what sort of a job does it really do as a mulcher?
    Cheers FF

I got a couple of rovers. Woof Woof
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

So many mowers when you only need one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omO_NlizEPU

Quote Originally Posted by fastfreddy View Post
    How do you find the Mulchmaster Garry? Has it proven to be reliable and what sort of a job does it really do as a mulcher?
    Cheers FF
    I could not run my business without it and use it daily.

NO Mower is perfect and some my prefer more power in heavier high growth periods when your struggling to get back to the customer and you don't get back for 3 to 4weeks on crappy weed type lawns.
    Genuine Victa blades with the high angle lift are no good as it holds the grass up too long and can stall it in heavy going conditions when your mulching on rougher large backyard which you would never pick up.
    Non gen blades with a lower raked angle of the blades work better and as they wear off and the blade flattens out its still great. I run mine at a bewdtiful 3450 rpm as I have a WiFi type Tachometer to randomly check it. It will be under performing at 3000RPM and be S/house.

Mulching good lawns with frequent visits, the Mulchmaster is a gem and many of my good customers have been surprised how good the lawns come up mulched and have allowed me to continue mulching. Thicked mowed areas where the grass is feed steriods still get the blower to spread any evidence of mulching.

The SP gears are excellent and go with twice as much traction and pull compared to the Victa Sp Turfmaster and I have not done any repairs to the mower or gears in the 3.5 years so far. I sometimes air gun clean under the plastic hood that protects the gear pulleys where the cables go in to remove blow out crap.

The black plastic side utility exit needs some shaving with the angle grinder to outer underside, otherwise the extension digs into the ground and causes the mower to wack you in the stomach with the handle on rougher ground. Plus it needs to be shaved off a little to allow grass to exit when the mulch plug is not used. I have hardly used it with the mulching plug out.
    But don't shave too much off to ensure safety is met, I can always send some close up photos of mine.

The air filter needs to be keep reasonably clean later in the life of the filter to ensure clean running otherwise it runs like the choke is slightly on. But I have never bought a new air filter yet, just clean and clean the original filter. I have even washed the air filter dried and re used. It's only a mower not my expensive Yamaha outboard motor.

It's built sturdy to last and I have not spent a cent on it yet except for fuel/oil and blades.
    Would I buy it again, bloody oath I would.
    Cheers Garry

Thanks Garry. Redeye also swears by his Mulchmaster. He runs the B+S 850 while you have the 190? Honda. Is it S/P.
    What's your take on the Turfmaster? Clearly, you have had issues with the catcher and vari-mulch mechanism. What are its strengths (if any). Any other dramas? Would you purchase again?
    Thanks in advance,
    FF

FF, will jot some thing down about the Turfmaster soon.
    Had more time yesterday late arvo after finishing working to post. Had one PC screen with the Indy forum on it. Another with Youtube and the 3rd screen having Flightrader24, tracking two Planes 2 hrs apart bringing my family back from Perth to Melb.
    Cheers Garry

Rover Sp 22"
    chonda 216 21" as a back up
    and i also carry Big Bob with me
    and the Toro grandstand 36"

M.E.Y. 36" Cylinder Mower
    Toro Recycler 22" Personal Pace High Wheel Smart Stow
    Victa Corvette 19"
    Victa 18" - very light mower, used for carrying up stairs etc

I resurrected a couple over the winter and the line-up of small mowers is pretty embarrassing now, considering I originally never intended doing much residential work.

The Mulchmaster & Rover ProCut 950 are the main mowers.
    The Rover 560 just won't die.
    Had a mate straighten the shaft of the HRX and it's a goer now, but seldom gets used.
    Put a new lower shaft seal in the Honda 214. Occasionally mow my own house yard with it.
    18" Greenfield push mower seldom gets used.

IMG_20180831_101231rs.jpg

Looks like they're waiting for the start of a race.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12