Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dad's Daughter Flying to London/Scottland,

Default Dad's Daughter Flying to London/Scottland,

My 21 yr old daughter is going to London/Scotland with a female high school friend in early spring for a month or so and is getting her passport together at the moment.
    She has a considerable amount of coin saved and will have quite bit upon return too, so coming home broke is not an issue provided the trip is routine for her. Have two daughters, one lives in her own home a few streets away and the one mentioned lives at home still.

But the o'l fatherly worry nerves have hit a little and maybe I've been watching tooo many TV shows like the current one on telly and maybe read too many newspapers online.
    Told her tonight to get me the preliminary necessary paperwork for myself to get a passport. Just encase I had to fly over and rescue her or bring her home with no notice.
    This is the same daughter who flew over to Perth 3 wks ago.

Got to stop web searching airline stuff like on the spot ticket prices like I have been doing tonight.

Always hard for parents not to worry I guess.
    Cheers Garry

Default Re: Dad's Daughter Flying to London/Scottland,

been there mate mine are now in there 30s...when they were doing the oversees stuff my wife got the passport for that very reason,fortunately in my previous employment i traveled the world a bit and had the pass...but to no avail we didn't need it , they got through it ok,have to trust their instinct and all willl Gaz ...today the method of contacts is so much than say 10 years ago when we relied on that phone call..with things like twitter and facebook you are virtually there with her .....
    Mate you are lucky my daughter and hubby went to the uk for three weeks and left 2 little boys 18months and 3 with grandma nad grandpa..longest 3 weeks ever

cheers mate sit back wait for the tales when she gets home

Didn't really think about the facebook stuff and the English family members my wife originally from Bristol communicates with on facebook . My daughter is actually meeting her friend over there and going solo on plane flights to and from.
    I'm comfortable knowing she is going to what we consider safer countries, but being a daughter and very attractive, well you know what I mean.

A haunt that triggers the worry nerve is that we lost a friend who was one of the last identified at the Sari Club, yep, different setting - different place - not forgotten. But l guess you can't wrap them up in cotton wool as adults.
    Cheers Garry

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

I'm hearing you Gaz . Mate at the end of the day we just have to let them go eventually but that doesn't make it any easier . Think of it this way ... you have brought them up well and hopefully what they have learn't from you has made them weary and head smart. I still feel for you though mate as any good parent would.

Yep thanks for the support/understanding,
    Both my daughters don't drink or do the drug scene, hence one having her own home with her partner at 22yr (now 23) and doing Uni and the other having huge savings in her accounts for her age.

I was hoping the overseas talkings were just the usual dreaming stuff, but she is going. She is understanding with my immediate response for me to get a passport, plus my wife has one that would need updating though.
    But I feel she is a little immature to big wide world and the real world in general. At least its for a short term and the reasons behind that is to not loose her current job.
    Not going with her long time boyfriend as he is looked into studying for a degree.

She also has Canada on her wish list for later.
    Cheers Garry

When my boys are old enough to take off overseas they won't even notice mum n dad a few rows back...will they?

Jason Forrest
    Fair Dinkum Lawn & Garden Care
    Servicing St Clair, Erskine Park, Colyton, South St Marys
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

Gaz, all will be good.
    My daughter is 26 now & has travelled & lived/worked extensively in Britain, North America, Europe, Japan with no probs.
    Scariest thing is she now lives in Sydney
    My son now 23 on the other hand still lives at home with us
    Obviously its natural to be concerned but, don't go tearing your hair out over something you have virtually no control over.
    Cheers Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by fairdinkum View Post
    When my boys are old enough to take off overseas they won't even notice mum n dad a few rows back...will they?
    Sh*t that was funny, I actually laughed and snorted at the same time whilst reading it.
    Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post
    Gaz, all will be good.
    My daughter is 26 now & has travelled & lived/worked extensively in Britain, North America, Europe, Japan with no probs.
    Scariest thing is she now lives in Sydney
    My son now 23 on the other hand still lives at home with us
    Obviously its natural to be concerned but, don't go tearing your hair out over something you have virtually no control over.
    Cheers Fred.
    Thanks Fred for the calming sedative advice, but I have got my head around webjet.com which I had never heard prior to Wednesday.
    Cheers Garry

hehe. As long as they aren't goin to some cold drizzly old country. Don't think the red hawaii shirts would cut it.

Jason Forrest
    Fair Dinkum Lawn & Garden Care
    Servicing St Clair, Erskine Park, Colyton, South St Marys
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

Horrible as the details of the MH 17 become clearer throughout the day.
    My daughter is booking the KLM via Kuala Lumpur to Amsterdam, with a short visit to Paris prior to moving on to London
    Todays events have woke her up a little to the world's problems.
    Have my Passport interview booked for 10.00am this Monday.
    Cheers Garry

Check out flightradar.com millions of live stream location and good to just suss out, interesting I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    Horrible as the details of the MH 17 become clearer throughout the day.
    My daughter is booking the KLM via Kuala Lumpur to Amsterdam, with a short visit to Paris prior to moving on to London
    Todays events have woke her up a little to the world's problems.
    Have my Passport interview booked for 10.00am this Monday.
    Don't be suprised if (afaik) KLM and Malasian Airlines codeshare .... that is even though you might have bought a KLM ticket you may well be on a plane that us badged/operated by Malaysian (MH).
    MH are a good operator ... its unfortunate that they have had 2 bad incidents this year ....
    At times it is quite intuitive to see where the actual flight routes track... .. often quite differently to what one might intuitively expect.

Anyway dont worry too much ... flying is still far safer than travelling on our roads or footpaths .....

Joe
    (having just come back from 2 months in Europe)

Well daughters passport arrived today and with the world as it is and the tensions in Europe / Malaysia.
    She has asked me to be with her at a flight travel agency like Hello World on Friday . Previously she was booking online with webjet.
    Have strongly encouraged to her fly Emirates, Edihad, Qatar doing a day time stop over in Dubai and bugger the additional cost, which she now agrees with.
    Not encouraged her to fly Qantas due to Australia sticking its head into European matters (and rightly so). But the indifferent peoples of the world don't like Australia for getting tough.

Went to a Malaysian doctor clients house today to mow there lawns and she happened to be home and had a 1.5hr talk (we get on well as I look after her medical business)with her about the issues developing in her home land re the Malaysian Airlines and Europe tensions. Guess what I didn't even mow her lawns due to the time loss and will return next week for a full day full garden job. They just tell me to make all there plants happy and have them smiling.
    Very good clients to have. they even asked today for a extended day extra service for their clinic gardens and carpark.
    Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    Have strongly encouraged to her fly Emirates, Edihad, Qatar doing a day time stop over in Dubai and bugger the additional cost, which she now agrees with.
    Not encouraged her to fly Qantas due to Australia sticking its head into European matters (and rightly so). But the indifferent peoples of the world don't like Australia for getting tough.
    Having just returned from Europe flying with Emirates and having a stopover fir 3 days in Dubai....

1. Be aware that Qantas and Emirates codeshare, so buying a ticket from either may not guarantee that you are on a plane that is operated/badged by the ticket issuer.
    The flight paths we took were more over Black Sea, but from reading media, it it surprising where each of the (major) airlines have had their flight corridors recently.
    Basically, the Ukraine(ish) region is on/near the 'great circle' path to most of the (northern) European cities from SE Asia & Middle East.

2. If you get the option of flights that use the A380 rather than 777 or 747 ... Take it as the A380 has much more legroom, seat width and is quieter and produces less 'jetlag' as. A in runs at a higher pressure.

3. Dubai at this time of year is HOT (42C+ daytime, 30c night), but is well worth a stop for several days. In any case the place come alive as sun sets with shopping malls open till after 1am.
    Not expensive - we stayed in good (Ibis) hotel for about $100 per night incl breakfast. Near to the 'old' part of Dubai.
    Very interesting place, especially when you compare the 'new' high-rise and malls with the old ( souk / bazaar type markets). Very safe place as far as personal safety for anyone goes & good public transport and taxi system.

Joe.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast