Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dad's Daughter Flying to London/Scottland,

Default Re: Dad's Daughter Flying to London/Scottland,

Quote Originally Posted by seliment View Post
    Having just returned from Europe flying with Emirates and having a stopover fir 3 days in Dubai....

1. Be aware that Qantas and Emirates codeshare, so buying a ticket from either may not guarantee that you are on a plane that is operated/badged by the ticket issuer.
    The flight paths we took were more over Black Sea, but from reading media, it it surprising where each of the (major) airlines have had their flight corridors recently.
    Basically, the Ukraine(ish) region is on/near the 'great circle' path to most of the (northern) European cities from SE Asia & Middle East.

2. If you get the option of flights that use the A380 rather than 777 or 747 ... Take it as the A380 has much more legroom, seat width and is quieter and produces less 'jetlag' as. A in runs at a higher pressure.

3. Dubai at this time of year is HOT (42C+ daytime, 30c night), but is well worth a stop for several days. In any case the place come alive as sun sets with shopping malls open till after 1am.
    Not expensive - we stayed in good (Ibis) hotel for about $100 per night incl breakfast. Near to the 'old' part of Dubai.
    Very interesting place, especially when you compare the 'new' high-rise and malls with the old ( souk / bazaar type markets). Very safe place as far as personal safety for anyone goes & good public transport and taxi system.

Joe.
    Joe, thanks for the info, temps in Dubia no different to where I live in Jan. But she is reading up female etiquette rules that apply.
    Will take onboard the A380 advice. Daughter and oldies much happier with carriers mentioned and there are flights in the days most desired connecting from Perth. Just wants her stop over connections in Dubai arriving during the day, not night. Should have my passport in two more weeks based on the time it took my daughter to get it, good to have, as my wife and I are planning for a cruise next year.

Thanks again.
    Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    .......But she is reading up female etiquette rules that apply.....

Just wants her stop over connections in Dubai arriving during the day, not night......

Thanks again.
    If you have a late afternoon /evening depart from Mel, you arrive in Dubai in morning daylight -- about 6-7am.

Its a pretty free and easlygoing life in Dubai -- what many ppl are unaware of is that expatriates & foreign workers far outnumber the local Emirati.
    Good for foreigners to dress 'modestly' (ie sensibly -- avoid shorts, minidresses & lots of bare skin) and alcohol is not widely avail outside of the hotels. Water (& coffee etc) tends to be the drink of choice.
    We were spoiled as wife has a niece (from Germany) who has set up a branch of her personal training business in Dubai and they were able to take us to or point out some of the interesting things.
    If you want to go up the Burj Khalifa -- tallest building in world -it is best to prepurchase the tickets on internet (has its own website) as it is very popular and almost impossible to buy tickets on walkup or next (few) day basis, especially if you wish to visit at a particular time of day.

Something I have found very interesting...
    The leader (Prime Minister) of Dubai is Sheihk Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum and his brother is president of UAE.
    He is smart and has written a couple of books (avail in English) that are best sellers but not widely known about in the west.
    I am currently reading his book "My Vision" .... It is excellent and gives some real insight into the his ways of thinking, of a government leader who has real vision for the future and is really a tutorial in motivation & good management principles that can be applied to any business (as that is what he sees Dubai as & a centre of excellence).
    The book is not that available in paper form, but I obtained my copy as an eBook from amazon.
    I can highly recommend reading it.

Joe

There goes our little girl with blue neck pillow late today.

Talk about being organised, full itemised spread sheeted itinerary, sub packaged self prepared information sheets in 12 groups for multi day stop overs in all towns and countries.
    Travel, rail, bus, small Europe air flights, accommodation, canal cruises, everything pre booked and pre payed.
    Everything of importance scanned and filed in her travel e-mail address and my self having copies.

Hope she has a great time and the Gopro records her travel for all at home to see.

Told her to have a great time and when she returns some of her holiday will be reimbursed by mum and dad, so you need to return home safely to collect.

Finally if you need dad to fly over if things don't pan out as planned, I'll be there ASAP and forget about costs.

London, London Bath, Brighton, Kendal, Edinburgh, Dublin, Dinglle, Killarney, Dublin, Zurich, Amsterdam, Paris, London, Dubai and briefly Singapore. A couple of concerts, canal cruises and harry potter studios, etc, etc.

Tullamarine Airport

Thanks guys for all the support.
    Cheers Garry

Humm another double post
    Cheers Garry

SHAME ON EMIRATES AIRLINES

We finally have a good outcome for our daughter's lost luggage at 10.00pm London time, some 3.5days after arriving in London after Emirates destroyed her initial holiday/adventure and for hundreds and hundred of other international travellers. Hundreds of Emirates travellers doing plane transfers at Dubai have had their luggage go missing many destinations all over Europe.
    Whilst she had a small secondary bag, her full intineray and everything else (personal stuff) was in her main backpack along with all prepaid and print movement tickets for all details through Europe.
    She has had major problems in securing internet time.
    We have had a frightened crying daughter in the first day and second and highly disappointed and frustrate daughter. Now she is learning to take no SH*T and demand.

Today was the day that she had to decide to give up on the bag and fumble her way to Scotland and beyond and maybe pay for things twice as she in her state of run down, disappointment and not thinking straight at times can't remember all the things that were prepaid and pre printed when she was home and had prepacked in the missing luggage .
    Has spend 3 days wearing the same smelly clothes, chewed up lots of money in phone credits getting nowhere with emirates personally, along with family doing the same.
    The cost in international calls from our mobile and home phones from my house and my other daughter will be $$$$$

Our calls of assistance have led me and my other daughter to be awake all night ringing, emailing, ringing over several nights since my daughter landed at Heathrow and today is Sunday.
    We contacted talk back radio in London, London Police just see if they could give a better local number to ring, every number that Emirates might answer, lodged complaints, ask for elevation to superiors. Screen dumped the written complaints on social media of other peoples postings and our own grilling posting to Emirates on forwarded Neil Mitchell program producers ready for Monday's program. Was prepared to go live on air and tried to go live on air in London.
    Emirate exposed my daughter to possible assault after guaranteing her safety at 1.00am in the morning in London and failed her.
    We are also contacting the Flight Centre Agencey tomorrow to bring them in the loop.

I know it's only the luggage, but when your backpacking with a action packed tight movement schedule across many countries both sides of the channel, including the Swiss alps. That back pack is your world and one chooses the best airline we, really I did that being Emirates their to find there accountability or even anyone to respond to calls in day all recorded scanned luggage.

The controlled anger we had toward Emirates, but never and not rude to anyone, just more demanding last night approaching into day 4.
    I would have payed up to $4,000 to put a beer coaster sized in the Herald Sun for Monday in the first 12 pages advert of Emirates lack of help or any customer communication channel for stranded passengers.

* They told my Daughter after arriving in London to return the next day at night to give time to find the luggage. That as the night got longer, they promised to take her home to the Hostel for safety being a 21 yr old solo female traveller in distress as it moved on past midnight to 1.00am and deserted her behind her back and shut the Emirates office. Resulting in her travelling back to hostel on public transport solo at 1.00 to 2.00am by herself from Emirate Heathrow, she was staying in a hostel near Abbey Road recording Studio's.

NOT HAPPY EMIRATES, NEILL MITCHELL PROGRAM has everything to read as the problem is with their customer assist that can't assist, it's just a merry go round that results in them telling you to ring this and that international that doesn't actually answer.
    Big thanks to Emirate Aussie number that went to India and was disgusted with the 1.00am -2.00am situation that put my daughter at risk and promise to help in his spare time and meal breaks. Who ever you are thanks buddy.

Sorry big read and maybe some grammar errors, but Emirates need a kick up arse. As I'm sick of speaking to a crying daughter between midnight and 3.00am in London and last night when I spoke to her I said their is no more I can do apart from this Monday with go to air with Neil Mitchell. Just cut your loses and try to move on even if you stumble to places and pay twice. I would give her money if needed, but I've ready promised her several grand when she gets home. That promise was given before she left, the condition was to collect, you must come safely to get it.

OH, Happy Father's Day people, My biggest Father's day thanks was a text from my daughters thanking me for the relentless help, better than a present. I feel like sheding a tear as I type this, yep I am actually shedding some tears as I sign off.

Sometimes in life you have to think and behave like a ferret.
    Cheers Garry

double post 1111144
    Cheers Garry

thats totally f**ked Garry, how could they lose a plane load of luggage for christs sake?!?

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Terrible to hear Gaz, I hear the pack maybe gone but if she has access to email, she should be able to retrace & regain most of her itinerary receipts etc.
    Fingers crossed, the pack may turn up at some stage in the future.
    Insurance should cover most of it (except sentimental).
    At least you've been able to keep in contact.
    Things will only get better from here.
    Cheers Fred.

Thanks,

Got to go for to the local for a counter lunch with misses and other daughter, so in a hurry.

We got the luggage just before we had given up all hope and for my daughter to leave London without it. Think a great emirates man from the Aussie call centre working from an India call centre I owe a Slab or two of Crown Lager too. Plus my daughter musting the courage of Brain Taylor when he was a footballer to get a priority result above the hundreds of other passengers that have lost luggage.
    Cheers Garry

Used to be a cabbie, and the stories I have heard from passengers telling of lost luggage would blow you away. They used to give the lost luggage deliveries to the cabs years ago here in Cairns (now a contractor), and the amount of late luggage coming off one flight would sometimes be 7 cabs with multiple drops per cab and that's domestic!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could imagine if you were flying to Europe and your luggage went to the US, how long it would take to get it back to the right person. It's been happening for at least 20 years, so one would think they would have sorted a better system by now, but obviously not. Oh, and not one carrier seemed to be any worse than the others.

Ok, a couple of beers over lunch at the pub for ol man's day and a much needed nap this arvo. Bugger!! another big read and the last on the matter.

Towards the end of this crap with Emirates at Heathrow when our daughter was mustering anger and speaking up. The Emirates counter staff told her they were dealing with 700 lost baggage customers and under pressure during the past five days dealing with it. My daughter by this time was mad and demanding (great), remember London is on high alert.
    She was given behind the scenes access after being told to remove and dispose of various items she was carrying to gain access to restricted lost luggage at the Emirates terminal. None of the luggage was hers. Can't believe that access was obtained - amazing.
    So the baggage must have been with the contractor citybagsluggage.com.uk Remembering she a scanned reference No.
    But Emirates were saying the luggage was delivered to her hostel when she had not told them were she was going to stay upon the discovery of missing luggage at Heathrow. As she was jet lagged and the details were in her bag and she needed internet access to get her scanned files to be able to do so. She could not get access to the internet at the time. She had stayed at the airport for hours after her 11.00am London time landing and when she left she left them her phone details and would return the next morning.

Days later tracking the scanned luggage suggested it was both at the hostel and at the contractor luggage London warehouse. My daughter asked for the address to facility to try and visit it personally. They refused and told her the hold facility is off limits to the public. My daughter via google obtained it and was going to visit it today in frustration.
    She obtained her luggage very late night early morning melb time, being the arvo London.
    We know our local involved as described above along with my travelling daughters persistence all help to get an outcome before she was heading to Scotland in the next few days.
    I told my other daughter who live close to me who was a major player in assisting that any social media we uploaded had to have a stand out attention grabbing heading message. To stand out from the bucket load of other people in the same situation.
    Leading into the disgust of our story with Emirates in there handling of luggage along the dangerous position my daughter was in at 1.00- 2.00am in the morning of that night.
    Our message was very powerful believe me and told the truth and concerns. Emirates pulled the posting off there site and my daughter in Australia reposted it immediately.
    A few hours later we had a successful outcome, not sure what measures delivered the outcome, but we had told Emirates that we were prepared to go to talk back media in Melbourne live on Monday. I also rang 3AW to try and get attention to this story whilst ringing high ranking London talkback radio stations willing to go live just to get help of some kind no matter how small. Sounds crazy, but we were getting nowhere on the merry go round like the other travellers.

Now that I googled the subject of lost luggage on Emirates, well Dubai when planes connection transfers its very very common occurrence.

Guess they got her there London safely, but she could have been assaulted when they asked her to return at night for the luggage and as time draw out into the am morning and how she got home after they promised to provided a secure ride.

You know what, I have never lost a package of the many I or this family have ordered on e-bay.

If you read this long winded story, one may learn something from it.

Just need to re check those contracts on Hilux and caravan I ordered to see what I ordered with the brain in a spin over the past days. lol,
    Cheers Garry

Ok one more thing, just got of the phone to my daughter and her backpack bag has everything smashed inside and her shampoos and stuff spread through out all of her belongs contaminating most off her belongings. All hard objects plastic objects like cameras etc smashed. Like as if the bag has been driven over or heavily squashed and thrown. I googled earlier the same story happening to other people in the dozens with Emirates.

Also she had everything within the back pack in itemised in sealed plastic bags. The inner plastic bags had burst with the rough bag handling methods deployed by Emirates.

She paid extra to fly Emirates with the way the world is.
    Cheers Garry

Gaz I have never been on a plane, and after reading of your daughters misfortune I am in no hurry. I hope that is the last of her bad luck on this trip, and from now on it just gets better

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    Gaz I have never been on a plane, and after reading of your daughters misfortune I am in no hurry. I hope that is the last of her bad luck on this trip, and from now on it just gets better
    No hurry myself too,

She is a quietly spoken well mannered 21 yr old girl and is quite shaken by the way Emirate Heathrow luggage terminal staff treated her with total rudeness and total lack of respect given to her verbally. This after they finished their personal calls to mates whilst she waited. She was a paying customer with lost baggage. She said if I had been present, I would have decked one Emirates bloke in particular and been arrested for it.
    To speak with her she has a shaken deflated voice tonite. She wants my other daughter and me to provide to the local "The Flight Centre" shop staff here in Wodonga the story just to let them know and assist with the travel insurance they organised for her.
    Mentioned to her how our Golden Retriever is popping into her room to find her, it did not cheer her up.
    Sharing it all for future travellers, plus to get it off my chest, but hey my girl is only one of thousands it happens too as Troppo has seen in his past life as a cabbie.

Sheeish and I said I would not post on the matter anymore. Not seen the footy, did my team Richmond win. "lol"
    Cheers Garry

mate hope she enjoys the rest of the adventure and meets a prince charming lol and tigers sheeze..what a thrashing poor bastards,,

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast