Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Identifying runner type grasses

Very Helpful Member

Default Re: Identifying runner type grasses

If you had asked earlier this year I could have given you some, I took them to the op shop as I hadn't looked at them in years I either google or ask on the forum for anything
    the main runner grasses in Vic are buffalo(generally thicker dark green leaves and runners spreads above ground sold at Bunnings if you want a look ) Kikuyu lighter green thick leaves and runners which spreads underground and above ground both easily killed with glyphosate and Couch thin runners spreads above and underground
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Cheers for that. I think I can spot those 3 although I struggle between buffalo and kikuyu a bit.

You wouldn’t by chance remember any of the titles from the books you gave up for adoption would you?

No worries if you don’t have any further info!

I might check out what the tafes use for hort certs and read up a bit

Quote Originally Posted by 33293 View Post
    Cheers for that. I think I can spot those 3 although I struggle between buffalo and kikuyu a bit.

You wouldn’t by chance remember any of the titles from the books you gave up for adoption would you?

No worries if you don’t have any further info!

I might check out what the tafes use for hort certs and read up a bit
    Buffalo is usually darker green and has a rounded tip. Kikuyu grows faster, has a pointy tip and far more shoots off the runners, you'll see it grow up the insolation on power poles, it's way more likely to breach borders and take off while buffallo is usually a slow grower with the occasional season that goes off.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
    Buffalo is usually darker green and has a rounded tip. Kikuyu grows faster, has a pointy tip and far more shoots off the runners, you'll see it grow up the insolation on power poles, it's way more likely to breach borders and take off while buffallo is usually a slow grower with the occasional season that goes off.
    It's Zoysia I confuse, rarely see it but correct me if I'm wrong but it's kinda somewhere between buffallo and Kikuyu, darker green like bufallo but pointy tips like Kikuyu.

Is it just me or do many ppl think they have buffalo when it's really Kikuyu?

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    it's not just you most people have no idea what they have, around here most have weeds or Kikuyu and weeds and so many of them want it mown lower so all they will have is weeds anyway
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

Its amazing how many contractors don't know what type of grass they're cutting or spraying.

Quote Originally Posted by GardeningSolutions View Post
    Its amazing how many contractors don't know what type of grass they're cutting or spraying.
    Yep I said that years ago, But they still like to call themselves professionals

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    Yep I said that years ago, But they still like to call themselves professionals
    Yep, always going to attract cowboys

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
    This is a nice tip. There's plenty of this stuff around us.

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    it's not just you most people have no idea what they have, around here most have weeds or Kikuyu and weeds and so many of them want it mown lower so all they will have is weeds anyway
    yep kikuyu and weeds ... especially clover atm

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    Most people (home owners) around here will say they think they have couch but 9/10 of them have kikuyu. Ian is right they mostly have weeds and kikuyu naturally around here, and if low the ratio becomes 9/10 weeds.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123