Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belt Grip, Effective or Not ??

Default Belt Grip, Effective or Not ??

Any one used a product like this from say "Supercheap" for $18.49 or similar.
    Has it been a waste of half a slab's worth of money or reasonably effective.

Just thinking of using on tha Victa Turmaster SP belt to give it more traction and less belt slippage.

Thanks in advance.
    Cheers Garry

Default Re: Belt Grip, Effective or Not ??

Never used it but I suppose it's just like everything else. Some brands work better than others and not necessarily the more expensive ones.

Quote Originally Posted by troppo View Post
    Never used it but I suppose it's just like everything else. Some brands work better than others and not necessarily the more expensive ones.
    Guess so,

Just getting slip on the pulley between the engine and blade deck plate. Even if I put a new belt on, it still slips under load and nothing to do with spring adjustment. But the gen victa belt looks dodgy. I might buy this product or just go to wholesale belt joint in town and match up for a better one. As the gen belt has a deep serrated worm type grooving on the inside that s seems stupid as the pulleys are just normal V type.

But if anyone has used the spray stuff mentioned, I would love to hear how it performs in general. Others reading this may take something away with any feedback.
    Cheers Garry

Any idea why it slips?
    Belt tension/stretch? Belt wear? Drive pulleys worn?
    Or Not good design (eg poor fit between belt and pulley profiles).
    If you can get one that right size, often a 'cogged belt' will work better than a standard section belt as they can flex better when running on small diam pulleys.
    Have not used the CRC stuff, but longtime ago used similar 'black sticky stuff' on flat (leather) drive belts running on flat pulleys on (fairly) antique farm machinery to good effect. Eg a long open belt between tractor pto belt pulley and a big circular saw bench --- wouldn't want to see an OH&S inspector anywhere on this side of horizon these days!

Joe

From the sounds of that I would go the non genuine belt (probably much cheaper too) or ask a local mechanic if they use anything like it and try a bit before buying.

I remember my Uncle using that stuff!!! Also remember the grandparents milking machine in the dairy - open belts running everywhere.

We used this in the waste water treatment plants (semi retired now), its good, the old days you could buy 'resin' the stuff tennis players and weight lifters use on their hands for grip, but slipping is worn pullleys and stretched belts, the fibre in the belts become fatigued and look ok but start to stretch with use, maybe they're chinese junk these days.

You shouldn't need to use anything on a "v" belt, if the belt is shiny on the sides or it fits all the way into the pulley the belt or the pulleys are worn. the bottom of the belt should never touch the pulley.
    Belt grip, powder and rosin are used to get flat belts moving until they build up enough friction.
    Belts with the notched inside are used when you have a jocky wheel on the outside of the belt to give it more flex, the notched part of the belt shouldn't contact the pulley. if it does that's another sign of wear.

It may help gaz but it is sticky crap so may attract to much dirt and crap. I used to use it on my back lapping machine as the belt used to slip a bit. Ive got a funny story about this stuff, I have a triton brand ,disc and belt sander, its a great machine but the belt used to slip, so I pulled it apart and gave it a good spray of the crc belt grip, then before putting it back together I switched it on.This is the funny bit that stuff is highly flammable , big flash, puff of smoke, I stumbled up to the house told my wife to make me a cuppa as I checked out my newly burnt off eye brows, tell ya made the old jam tart skip a few beats... one flash the eye brows were ash...

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    It may help gaz but it is sticky crap so may attract to much dirt and crap. I used to use it on my back lapping machine as the belt used to slip a bit. Ive got a funny story about this stuff, I have a triton brand ,disc and belt sander, its a great machine but the belt used to slip, so I pulled it apart and gave it a good spray of the crc belt grip, then before putting it back together I switched it on.This is the funny bit that stuff is highly flammable , big flash, puff of smoke, I stumbled up to the house told my wife to make me a cuppa as I checked out my newly burnt off eye brows, tell ya made the old jam tart skip a few beats... one flash the eye brows were ash...
    You always give me a good laugh Mark
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

Lol...made me chuckle into me red
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Funny peoples, that was funny and I'm only on the Pepsi Max as I'm still typing up some invoices. Past experience tells me when I have a beer the invoices and e-mail outs have too many minor errors.

Thanks for all the feedback, will buy a can and have a go. The gen Victa belt has very large teeth groves on the inside with normal pulleys. This slipage problem happens early in the life of using the Turfmaster.
    Think I should take my spare new belt to the local belt joint, originally had two spares. Amazing place this old time belt joint, they must supply all the farms and saw mills as the last time I very intrigued.
    Certainly remember the days of belts everywhere crossing over each other with no guards in the machinery sheds driving grinding wheels and saws.
    Cheers Garry

It works gang.
    Use it on the slasher
    A workers car that squeeled like a mofo
    And the Cox

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..............

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joeymoey View Post
    It works gang.
    Use it on the slasher
    A workers car that squeeled like a mofo
    And the Cox
    HaHaHa we still talking about the same thing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast