Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lawnies Taking Holidays July.

Default Re: Lawnies Taking Holidays July.

Just reading some of the comments, a word of warning from someone who didnt listen to the advise I am about to give.

TAKE A BREAK.

Before my tree change (becoming a lawny), I was in a much higher paid corporate position, working umpteen hours a week, not seeing the kids, etc, etc. Until eventually it had serious impacts on my health, life and marriage (although getting rid of her was the best thing ever)

Did my tree change, and almost started going down the same track, until some personal issues with close friends and family, and I saw the light and slowed down, and decided that a few extra dollars werent worth the health issues, etc, etc.

I am now at the point where I have a nice round, just bring on new clients as properties sell, so basically just replacement clients, will pick up the odd one off job to fill in gaps in the diary. Or if I am sick of a PITA find a replacement and dump the PITA, or even dump the PITA first.

I will happily tell a new potential client, that I am to busy if it means I am going to again work ridiculous hours ,

What am I saying, Dont take on the extra client just for the dollars or becuase they rang you and you have to, or because you dont want the Jims guy down the road grabbing them. Take your breaks. work what you consider reasonable hours, dont bust a gut. Your health and wellbeing is worth more to you and your family than a couple of extra dollars.

Ok lecture over, shoot me.

If I have a good summer I try to get the funds together and head off to Tokyo for 3 weeks of summer with the inlaws. Great people! Great food! Great beer up there. Haven't been for a couple of years. Maybe next year.

Jason Forrest
    Fair Dinkum Lawn & Garden Care
    Servicing St Clair, Erskine Park, Colyton, South St Marys
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by bb1 View Post
    Just reading some of the comments, a word of warning from someone who didnt listen to the advise I am about to give.

TAKE A BREAK.

Before my tree change (becoming a lawny), I was in a much higher paid corporate position, working umpteen hours a week, not seeing the kids, etc, etc. Until eventually it had serious impacts on my health, life and marriage (although getting rid of her was the best thing ever)

Did my tree change, and almost started going down the same track, until some personal issues with close friends and family, and I saw the light and slowed down, and decided that a few extra dollars werent worth the health issues, etc, etc.

I am now at the point where I have a nice round, just bring on new clients as properties sell, so basically just replacement clients, will pick up the odd one off job to fill in gaps in the diary. Or if I am sick of a PITA find a replacement and dump the PITA, or even dump the PITA first.

I will happily tell a new potential client, that I am to busy if it means I am going to again work ridiculous hours ,

What am I saying, Dont take on the extra client just for the dollars or becuase they rang you and you have to, or because you dont want the Jims guy down the road grabbing them. Take your breaks. work what you consider reasonable hours, dont bust a gut. Your health and wellbeing is worth more to you and your family than a couple of extra dollars.

100% agree with you there mate. I was in a pretty bad way mentally and physically in my prior employment due to long hours and crap pay. I'll never walk that road again!

Jason Forrest
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by imoww View Post
    My wife just got back from the hunter.... They even went to the winter wonderland (snow for the kids)
    We are going Tuesday next week.

Quote Originally Posted by bb1 View Post

TAKE A BREAK.

Well said
    100% agree

Quote Originally Posted by imoww View Post
    My wife just got back from the hunter.... They even went to the winter wonderland (snow for the kids)
    that's one of the plans, that and the chocolate festival ..gotta keep the little one occupied ...then when he is asleep, daddy is off to the brewery were staying at lol
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by m287j View Post
    We are going Tuesday next week.
    see you on the road, im heading home Wednesday lol
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

I'm heading on holiday sometime late next week for about a week.
    Flying to Gold Coast, staying for a few days then road tripping with a lady friend (maybe the future Mrs Moey ) back to Melbourne.
    Main issue is finding someone to look after the dog and the chooks for a week

We've had a consistent winter, picked up 3 big sites leading into winter which has been good.
    Took today off to sort things out, eg bearing buddies on the trailer, send paperwork off, then off to the tip shortly.
    As has been mentioned before working 7 days a week realistically is unnecessary, if you sit back and actually work out how much money you're making working like a dog versus working smartly and getting rid of undesirable (read unprofitable) clients then you'd be surprised.
    Don't work for the sake of working.

18 years ago I was in the similar work situation as BB1. Thankfully I did something about it before the health, marriage and kids were damaged.

EVERYONE needs a break/holiday. (even if you love being a mowie) Otherwise you learn to hate the job you once loved.

I've always shuffled clients/jobs around to make a week off on every school holidays, and 2x weeks off over the winter Hol's for our family annual holiday. Favourite destinations are Fraser Island, Straddie, Mt Hotham (Dinner Plain), Raymond Island and Stockton. Although we've done a lot of other places - including a 6 week odyssey up the Center from Victor Harbour to Darwin with everything between, Tassie (Autumn), Flinders ranges, Gold coast theme parks, etc, we also do a fair bit of wild bush camping.

The thing life teaches us is "It's about the journey, not the destination".

Those of us with the run of elderly domestic clients know the wisdom - how many of those clients ever wish they'd spent more time at work ? - NONE !.
    They all cling to family, grandkids, and memories of the great things they did/experienced. Their greatest asset isn't the money in the bank or the $2m property - it's their health and lifestyle !

Life has no guarantees - you could be dead next week, so get your priorities right.

There is always work for a worker - winter has buckets of work for gardening, pruning, retaining walls, tree lopping and property maintenance. If there are non urgent jobs your clients want done - put them in the back of the book for winter, and schedule your holidays instead of cutting grass that doesn't really need cutting.

Stop and smell the roses , pick one for your wife , and teach the kids to eat the petals.
    "Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
    If someone says "Can't" , take the "T" off the end and brew it.
    Sip on a mugfull, relax, and take a look at what you've got left to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfa Brayne View Post
    18 years ago I was in the similar work situation as BB1. Thankfully I did something about it before the health, marriage and kids were damaged.

EVERYONE needs a break/holiday. (even if you love being a mowie) Otherwise you learn to hate the job you once loved.

I've always shuffled clients/jobs around to make a week off on every school holidays, and 2x weeks off over the winter Hol's for our family annual holiday. Favourite destinations are Fraser Island, Straddie, Mt Hotham (Dinner Plain), Raymond Island and Stockton. Although we've done a lot of other places - including a 6 week odyssey up the Center from Victor Harbour to Darwin with everything between, Tassie (Autumn), Flinders ranges, Gold coast theme parks, etc, we also do a fair bit of wild bush camping.

The thing life teaches us is "It's about the journey, not the destination".

Those of us with the run of elderly domestic clients know the wisdom - how many of those clients ever wish they'd spent more time at work ? - NONE !.
    They all cling to family, grandkids, and memories of the great things they did/experienced. Their greatest asset isn't the money in the bank or the $2m property - it's their health and lifestyle !

Life has no guarantees - you could be dead next week, so get your priorities right.

There is always work for a worker - winter has buckets of work for gardening, pruning, retaining walls, tree lopping and property maintenance. If there are non urgent jobs your clients want done - put them in the back of the book for winter, and schedule your holidays instead of cutting grass that doesn't really need cutting.

Stop and smell the roses , pick one for your wife , and teach the kids to eat the petals.
    Where's the "like" button
    Well said ARFA! Couldn't agree more!

Jason Forrest
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Arfa Brayne View Post

When I was a Snr Mgr for Coles and my wife worked for Coles and still does. I would always ring or drop into the Florist near her store and organise a mega bunch of flower delivered to her work place. At random within the year for no reason but to give her a surprise and enjoy the chatter that's created amongst her work colleges.
    Last year I thought, bugger I've stopped doing that since I left being 4yrs at the time. So I personally visited the Florist to arrange a big bunch with Red Roses scattered within. The Florist owner looked at me with the "do I know you look" and remembered me and a magnificent bunch of flower got delivered to my wife at work again. (they love it being delivered to their work place).
    Then Florist owner engaged me to look after their large property. Karma of the good kind.

Edit; must that time again!!
    Cheers Garry

Been a busy winter, no holidays this year. Oh well at least the money is good. Can't get out fishing either ......bay's been too rough. Buggar!!!

Brrrrr its cold and windy again! Roll on next tues.havin a week in kakadu!

It's been a bloody good winter hey!
    Putting work on hold for a week to head up to the sunny gold coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Steve View Post
    Been a busy winter, no holidays this year. Oh well at least the money is good. Can't get out fishing either ......bay's been too rough. Buggar!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12