Thread: Lowballers

Default Re: Lowballers

Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    Head 1956
    That's the way to do it
    Ya don't have to be big to be successful
    And can enjoy it more than those who work there asses off 6-7 days a week

My offsider spotted a big mowing set up and said "that's a big company"
    I said he may be big but is he successful and does he in joy it..
    6 months later bump into him at the tip he has his house up for sale as he is going under and I would say he is not enjoying that ..
    x2 on that. Sometimes you need to be careful what you wish for.

Did a quote today for a regular lawn and garden maintenance job. I gave my normal rate and the customer looked really shocked at my price, he said the last guy did the lawn and gardens for less than my lawn quote ($50) lol I laughed and asked where he was now? He just stopped coming was the reply.. I took him over to my trailer showed him all my tools, gave him a run down on my expenses, worked out how long the work would take to do, and basically after that he realized I was giving him a fair price. We did the job and he was very happy. He then said the same guy was doing the next door neighbors lawn/garden and had stopped coming there as well, so he took us over and introduced me, he went over what I had told him and his neighbor said can you do my lawn/garden? Yes but we dont have time for garden today just lawn. So we did his lawn. He then said he has 2 sons one of them lives 3 doors down can we do his lol Yes so we did his sons. He is going to get back to me on his second son after he talks to him.. You gotta love Lowballers sometimes
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

lol....nice one

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJD Mowing View Post
    Did a quote today for a regular lawn and garden maintenance job. I gave my normal rate and the customer looked really shocked at my price, he said the last guy did the lawn and gardens for less than my lawn quote ($50) lol I laughed and asked where he was now? He just stopped coming was the reply.. I took him over to my trailer showed him all my tools, gave him a run down on my expenses, worked out how long the work would take to do, and basically after that he realized I was giving him a fair price. We did the job and he was very happy. He then said the same guy was doing the next door neighbors lawn/garden and had stopped coming there as well, so he took us over and introduced me, he went over what I had told him and his neighbor said can you do my lawn/garden? Yes but we dont have time for garden today just lawn. So we did his lawn. He then said he has 2 sons one of them lives 3 doors down can we do his lol Yes so we did his sons. He is going to get back to me on his second son after he talks to him.. You gotta love Lowballers sometimes
    It comes down to communication doesn't it. Mind you sometimes there's a bloody good reason why a contractor walks away.

Had a call recently where the potential client was unhappy with the current lawnies service. During the call I work out that I know the Lawnie and the figured the customer to be had work as they were nit picking. So to cut it short and test the water I told him my minimum price to which he got aggressive and rude so I asked how much he was paying. $11 a cut. Believe that? Haven't cut one that price since 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by GardeningSolutions View Post
    Had a call recently where the potential client was unhappy with the current lawnies service. During the call I work out that I know the Lawnie and the figured the customer to be had work as they were nit picking. So to cut it short and test the water I told him my minimum price to which he got aggressive and rude so I asked how much he was paying. $11 a cut. Believe that? Haven't cut one that price since 2004.
    $11 a cut. Your kidding me. I have never been that low. My minimum is $25 and thats going up. I wasnt doing lawn in 1970 but I reckon that would be low for back then even.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    $11 a cut. Your kidding me. I have never been that low. My minimum is $25 and thats going up. I wasnt doing lawn in 1970 but I reckon that would be low for back then even.
    Yep. Had a $10 x 4wkly job, 6m2 with a round I took over back in 2004. That wank cracked the ****s when I said the minimum was $15 then. Told him to go purchase a mower, brushcutter, blower and do it himself on the $180yr he would've spent.

Yep, I got a call on Saturday from a lady with 1200sqm block with trees all around it, wire mesh fencing etc. kept wanting to know my minimum houly rate, When I told her that it started at $60/hr depending on what the length of the grass and edges were etc, she told me it has been 3 weeks since last mow and the old regular never turned up when he was supposed to. She tried to tell me he used to cut and trim with a push mower for $40 and then have the nerve to tell me I had to better it for her. Walk away I did.
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

Dunno if its just me but I have noticed a huge amount of what appear to be garden maintenance start ups in the last week or two. It's a bit of a concern the way the economy is going. I don't blame people for having a go but hopefully not too many.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    Dunno if its just me but I have noticed a huge amount of what appear to be garden maintenance start ups in the last week or two. It's a bit of a concern the way the economy is going. I don't blame people for having a go but hopefully not too many.
    yep noticing that around here as well
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    whats your expenses % compared to his ?
    My expenses are down compared to his - city prices for fuel, lots more word of mouth promotion because of volume, city prices on buying equipment.

I didn't quote you.

Quote Originally Posted by Stump View Post
    Like I said in your quote of me I did not mention volume v population
    Of course if the work is not there, it's not there.
    ??? I never quoted you.

clients like that have to be reminded its now 2015.... no longer the 1970s...

Quote Originally Posted by GardeningSolutions View Post
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Quote Originally Posted by kakegc View Post
    Work volume v's population is extremely important. Our cousin is a born & bred local guy, with more connections than most. His father is a farmer & he is the captain of the local footy team. His family have been in the area for generations & going by the people at his wedding, he is a very popular guy. However, his "hourly rate" will never get near to what I am pulling in from complete strangers in the city. Country people are different to city people with stuff like gardening. If he asks for the $$$ that I ask for, there will be a son/grandson/neighbor/friend who says "don't pay that, I'll do it for you"

Just for the record, I was born & bred in a small town. No way on earth would I ever consider working in one though, after working in a city.
    ??..........................
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather.....not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car!!!

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617