Default Re: Lowballers

Quote Originally Posted by AJD Mowing View Post
    I would go for the one without the big line waiting to get in like sheep
    Yep. Me too. I agree
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Yep. Me too. I agree
    Same here. There are some people who don't mind paying a bit more for convenience and better service. A long line doesn't not necessarily mean it's good. It could be a sign of incompetence rather than popularity

Jason Forrest
    Fair Dinkum Lawn & Garden Care
    Servicing St Clair, Erskine Park, Colyton, South St Marys
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by fairdinkum View Post
    Same here. There are some people who don't mind paying a bit more for convenience and better service. A long line doesn't not necessarily mean it's good. It could be a sign of incompetence rather than popularity
    Who's to say the same amount of people have not been in and out of the one without the long queue while all those people waited next door?

Jason Forrest
    Fair Dinkum Lawn & Garden Care
    Servicing St Clair, Erskine Park, Colyton, South St Marys
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by AJD Mowing View Post
    Now as for lowballers as you call them..why is so hard for people not understanding why they do that surprises me

People that are lowballers dont focus on what they consider as an after expense profit they focus more on getting the work through cheap ridiculous rates without giving any logical thought on their price structure. You see them pop up in summer then gone in winter. People that focus on an after expense profit are not lowballers
    But you can't regulate the industry,new people coming in with no previous experience being in business not knowing what going rates is just don't know.
    Plus trying to get something rolling in just getting there first half a dozen customers.

If people reach a point of having their own business and servicing customers they should, 1. Know how to do the job and 2. know basic business practice. If they dont know how to do the job maybe work for someone for a while. If they know nothing about business then do a coarse to learn first. People that blindly rush in using cheap prices as a hook for gaining customers without allowing for business expenses do so at their own peril.
    If they have done a business management coarse they will learn the basic rules of business. If they planned on building a lawn mowing run from scratch then they would know that unless they buy an existing run there are a lot of things to plan for and they will need money until they have built the customer base.

It is easy to work out what the going rate in your area is in the planning stage. What I did was get 4 reputable contractors quote on my lawn, it averaged out at $50. The lawn area is 333m2 so that worked out at 15 cents per M2 so thats what I charged when I started. I now charge 20 cents per M2 as I have allowed a percentage for inflation every year. Also the guys that came and quoted I gave the job of mowing to the cheapest guy for 3 mows then I started.

I would rather have customers that are after good quality work and good service and leave the customers that just want a cheap price to the lowballers. A lot of the time those customers get sick of not getting a good job with good service and are happy to pay for it. How many times do you get customers ring up for a quote because their Larry Lowballer has stopped coming? They then are shocked at your price as it is more expensive than they have been paying but in the end they turn into a regular customer that would rather pay a bit extra for quality and service.
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

If they did this or if they did that..but they don't

Who would take up a lawn round and do a business course ?? for lawn mowing.Really.
    Next batch coming thru the ranks is Ford Holdens and Toyota employees ,we already had Mitsubishi do that here a number of years ago where there's a round shortage for sale.

Sure some will do a course and still fail,realisticlly need a UNI degree to cut grass..NO

We ain't going to change this on social media site,people will do what they think is best for them be it right or wrong

starting any business without doing a "small business management" course is a recipe for disaster - sooner or later you'll come unstuck due to bad practice/decisions. Those of us that have lasted quite a few years (over 20 for me) are here because of knowing how to set up and run a business viably....end of sermon

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    starting any business without doing a "small business management" course is a recipe for disaster - sooner or later you'll come unstuck due to bad practice/decisions. Those of us that have lasted quite a few years (over 20 for me) are here because of knowing how to set up and run a business viably....end of sermon
    Exactly, and if guys who have been in the industry less than a few years listened to what guys with real experience say, things would click a bit quicker.Long term contractors don't stress about advertising, they do a good job and get most work from word of mouth, they know what times are slow , and when things will pick up, they don't really care what mower jim , dick or harry run, they know what works for them, they are aware of the competition but not worried about it, they know what a job is worth and also when to walk away from jobs. If you are chasing work all the time and losing jobs all the time , you are doing something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    If they did this or if they did that..but they don't

Who would take up a lawn round and do a business course ?? for lawn mowing.Really.
    Next batch coming thru the ranks is Ford Holdens and Toyota employees ,we already had Mitsubishi do that here a number of years ago where there's a round shortage for sale.

Sure some will do a course and still fail,realisticlly need a UNI degree to cut grass..NO

We ain't going to change this on social media site,people will do what they think is best for them be it right or wrong
    Who would take up a lawn round and do a business course ??
    I would say anyone that has worked as an employee and is now moving into their own business and knows nothing about what is involved in creating and running a successful business, including things like accounting, marketing, planning, reporting etc.

realisticlly need a UNI degree to cut grass..NO
    No dont need to go to uni but if they have never mowed a lawn or done edging and plan on doing it as a profession then they will need to learn some skills first, they also need to know what is the best equipment to purchase to give them self a good chance of success.
    They could get a job with a contractor for a summer, or what I did was buy a franchise (VIP) and not only learned the correct methods on how to do things with the right equipment but also the business structure to implement for this industry, I now use what I learned in my own business. Anyone who ventures out into their own business with no knowledge of what skills are involved or any business knowledge are either brave or stupid. Just my opinion

I'm thinking one day you might agree on something i say..but on the other hand maybe not

It would be a boring place if everyone agreed on everything. Hey I agree with this
    Next batch coming thru the ranks is Ford Holdens and Toyota employees

oi, there will be none of that. no agreements thanks guys ...
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

Sorry Dad

much better, you wouldn't have liked what would have had to happen Dean ...then again, maybe you would :\
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

You wernt going to make me dress up like an Alter boy again were you dad? I thought you were passed that

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast