Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Lowballers

Default Re: Lowballers

you might have got a mars bar mate

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUuugAD_v4s check it out feedback is great sub to the channel if you like

Gets to me how people seem to run down "lowballers" so much on the forum, I agree with Beetlejuice that some are just start ups looking to get the first clients and the experiance to know what they are doing.
    I am in the start up period myself and regret some of the early prices I gave but they did get me in the game and gave me the experience I needed both in cutting and quoting. Rather than splash out $5000 that i did not have i used the crappy Bunnings Tools we had at home, and as I can better equipment is coming along. I have spent some time working for a retirement home as a casual labourer for a crappy $20ph but again it helped me learn the industry a bit better and experience jobs that i had not done before.
    Not everyone can afford the time or expense of going to do a business management course or to buy a fanchise to learn how to do the job. People are saying that the next wave are the Holden and Alcoa workers, well hell these folks have families that they need to feed and bills they need to pay just like the rest of us. Some of them will continue with low quote, **** machines and fade away but some will learn their way, buy better equipment learn how much they can charge and how much they need to make to actually make a living!
    Hell one day this lowballer scum might even find this forum and be able to come on and complain about all the people out there who don't charge enough!
    Just remember that the whole Indy group/forum had ads out there stating "Lawns from $4"

Darren I agree that some low ballers are start ups but being a start up doesnt mean you have to low ball. Many guys thinking about doing this work come on this forum to ask advice and get a feel of things before they start. The guys here are more than happy to give any help that is needed.

The low ballers we are all concerned with are those that are permanently under cutting the market. It drives down prices and does no one even the low ballers any good in the long run. The biggest problem people have in starting off in this business is not knowing exactly what their business expenses are and working out their prices accordingly to that. A lot go into their quotes thinking as a home owner on what they believe is a "fair" price. You have to ditch that thinking and start working with a business mind. Its not rocket science. You want to cover all your expenses and outlays and have enough income to make a comfortable profit at the end of the day.

Guys get into this game who were on $20 an hr and think that $30 per hr is great but they fail to take into account their total expenses and dont realise they are probably working for $15 per hr or less. Not having the best equipment doesnt mean you have to low ball. Sure you will stuff up a quote and make it too low. We have all done that but you very quickly learn from your mistakes and adjust your prices. Or at least you should.

If you dont and continue low balling after you know and understand what the general market price is out there and you know your running expenses you are only doing yourself a disservice and stuffing up the industry for everyone else.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    A lot go into their quotes thinking as a home owner on what they believe is a "fair" price. You have to ditch that thinking and start working with a business mind. Its not rocket science. You want to cover all your expenses and outlays and have enough income to make a comfortable profit at the end of the day.

I go to every job to quote a "fair" price, but the perspective is what is the fair price for me. If the customer doesnt think its a "fair" price for them, I dont do their job. Dont give your services away for nothing.

Exactly. You may not be the dearest lawnie out there but you dont want to be the cheapest to the extent you go broke. I have lost count of the quotes I have done where the home owner says their last guy just disappeared. You ask what they were getting it done for and it is half your quote. I tell them straight up he probably went broke or ditched you because he was losing money on the job.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by darrens View Post
    Gets to me how people seem to run down "lowballers" so much on the forum, I agree with Beetlejuice that some are just start ups looking to get the first clients and the experiance to know what they are doing.
    I am in the start up period myself and regret some of the early prices I gave but they did get me in the game and gave me the experience I needed both in cutting and quoting. Rather than splash out $5000 that i did not have i used the crappy Bunnings Tools we had at home, and as I can better equipment is coming along. I have spent some time working for a retirement home as a casual labourer for a crappy $20ph but again it helped me learn the industry a bit better and experience jobs that i had not done before.
    Not everyone can afford the time or expense of going to do a business management course or to buy a fanchise to learn how to do the job. People are saying that the next wave are the Holden and Alcoa workers, well hell these folks have families that they need to feed and bills they need to pay just like the rest of us. Some of them will continue with low quote, **** machines and fade away but some will learn their way, buy better equipment learn how much they can charge and how much they need to make to actually make a living!
    Hell one day this lowballer scum might even find this forum and be able to come on and complain about all the people out there who don't charge enough!
    Just remember that the whole Indy group/forum had ads out there stating "Lawns from $4"

+1 Can't argue too much with that!

More than agree that you have to look at it as a business and what dollars the business needs to improve and profit. but in saying that it does not stop when you are first starting trying to make sure that you are getting the clients so you are doing something and can see a future in what you are doing. So you give prices that are to low.
    I started at a bad time due to the circumstances I had to make a start after Xmas in the hot weather when the demand had slowed down so had some low start prices just to get some runs on the the board. To me the low prices were worth it because they helped me learn to quote and to mow professionally. Now with things on the improve I am quoting at more sustainable price, not as high as some not as low as others and if people don't like the price I am able to walk away, (it's still not easy). I know what my work is worth and what I need to make to make a dollar and the low start up prices will get an increase over spring when demand is high, of course i never quoted at $20 per hr so they only need to come up about $5 each to make them worthwhile so easy done.
    At the end of the day your work is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and I much rather that people are paying me at the upper end of what they are willing to pay! Just seemed to me that alot of people are really down on people who charge low, at the of the day anyone out there wants to make as much as they can whether they are weekend cash mowers or professionals (new or old). Some people don't know how to do that and they will either learn to or fade away.

Well to get any kind of income I must be a lowballer, effing hell at $50 bucks for a ferral lawn crappy joint the ctuns still want a lower price. Glad I'm not starting out with a mortgage and kids to raise.

If you need work then you'll need to quote low just to win the job then as time goes on they can increase the price.The more they get the more to increase the prices as time goes on.

If i undercut you the competitor so be it,i need the work and i'll quote it as i see fit to put food on my table and pay the bills
    So yes win the customer first is the main priority,better to have something that leads to more work for the future.

Darren I agree that some low ballers are start ups but being a start up doesnt mean you have to low ball. Many guys thinking about doing this work come on this forum to ask advice and get a feel of things before they start. The guys here are more than happy to give any help that is needed.

The low ballers we are all concerned with are those that are permanently under cutting the market. It drives down prices and does no one even the low ballers any good in the long run. The biggest problem people have in starting off in this business is not knowing exactly what their business expenses are and working out their prices accordingly to that. A lot go into their quotes thinking as a home owner on what they believe is a "fair" price. You have to ditch that thinking and start working with a business mind. Its not rocket science. You want to cover all your expenses and outlays and have enough income to make a comfortable profit at the end of the day.

Guys get into this game who were on $20 an hr and think that $30 per hr is great but they fail to take into account their total expenses and dont realise they are probably working for $15 per hr or less. Not having the best equipment doesnt mean you have to low ball. Sure you will stuff up a quote and make it too low. We have all done that but you very quickly learn from your mistakes and adjust your prices. Or at least you should.

If you dont and continue low balling after you know and understand what the general market price is out there and you know your running expenses you are only doing yourself a disservice and stuffing up the industry for everyone else.
    Spot on Bluey...
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    If you need work then you'll need to quote low just to win the job then as time goes on they can increase the price.The more they get the more to increase the prices as time goes on.

If i undercut you the competitor so be it,i need the work and i'll quote it as i see fit to put food on my table and pay the bills
    So yes win the customer first is the main priority,better to have something that leads to more work for the future.
    I Disagree beetle, I started out with 0 customers, did my homework, had a plan with the main focus on quality/service/market rates in my area and after 1 season of operation had built a thriving business so you dont have to quote low to get the work.
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by darrens View Post

A marketing ploy has nothing to do with what you actually charge. If someone wants to go into business, then they simply need to research how to run one properly. It is not smart and sustainable to go in trying to win every quote regardless of new or not. People going into this game need to know that a sound marketing knowledge base and program is the key to getting a constant stream of quotes, where you will find plenty of takers at whatever price you want.

Marketing is a numbers game. If you are not demanding the numbers then you are only scraping the barrel.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather.....not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car!!!

If a customer is asking for quotes all contractors will quote there asking price not knowing how many other quotes are being given and not knowing what the other quotes are.

So how does one know if they are the highest or lowest when submitting a price ?.
    Shouldn't the quote be what we think it's worth for the job being done

I don't understand what this whole conversation is all about,if some contractors want to charge $30 an hour and some want to charge $70 an hour it's there choice.

I agree that some low ballers are start ups but being a start up doesn't mean you have to low ball.
    +1,000

If your market yourself as a budget service, then budget clients will become your base.
    Instead, invest in uniforms, branding, signage - present yourself as a professional service that has invested in being there long-term, and set your price for the top 20% - then be sure to complete each and every job to a high standard that satisfies these. Even a satisfaction guarantee - your mow is free if you can't satisfy.
    You may well have fewer clients - but you will have the clients that you would rather have and keep, and will grow that base on referrals from same and high quality of work.

Don't confuse being busy with being profitable. This is something low-ballers do.

You really want to show-case your work? Consider a first mow for free to build a relationship - but I counsel against discounting as it devalues your work and can reinforce expectations of low prices...
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast