Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Teenage Suicide

Default Teenage Suicide

A couple of weeks ago my 17 year old nephew took his own life at my parents' place. My 83 year old dad woke up on Sunday morning and found him hanging there in his backyard. Taking the phone call from my little sister, his mum, was the absolute worst moment in my life. I personally still can't believe it.

The reason I am bringing this up here is just to give all the parents of teenagers a heads up about what is going on. Aaron was a decent kid and loved by many people. Only since his death has it come to my attention how popular he was. But he had been troubled for the last couple of years. I still don't know the complete details but the crux of the matter is that he had been a victim of bullying for a very long time. I was aware that he'd been bullied at times. But had no idea of the extent to which it had effected him on the inside.

I remember being bullied myself at various times growing up. It was hell. But at least when I was at home with my family I felt safe. The problem now is that these kids are hounded by the bastards 24/7 on social media. Half the time by people half way around the country, even the world, that they have never met. The amount of information the kids share about themselves to the world is bloody scary. And they don't realise that when they type a message or a status update that it can be taken any number of ways depending on the mental state of the reader.

Another problem is that the old methods we were taught of standing up to them and giving the head bully a black eye doesn't cut it anymore. They carry weapons now. The schools don't want to deal with it. And the police can't do much without names. The kids are just too bloody afraid to talk to any authorities because the pricks seem to just be there wherever they turn. Then there's the threats to hurt other friends, girlfriends and family members.

I don't know what the answer is. But I suppose as parents we can start by teaching our kids not to make themselves targets. And I truly believe that the big difference now is the internet and social media. Kids are just not emotionally equipped to deal with it especially when you throw in puberty, general teenage angst some physical bullying. And as parents we should not encourage it at all.

And if you have teens who seem withdrawn and don't want to get out of bed or leave the house, talk to them and keep a close eye on them. Even if they tell you they are ok, they may not be.

Jason Forrest
    Fair Dinkum Lawn & Garden Care
    Servicing St Clair, Erskine Park, Colyton, South St Marys
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

Default Re: Teenage Suicide

A very good heads up post mate and i really am so sorry for your family loss.....As a father and grand father our children are the most important thing in our lives so its so important to become involved in their life,even though sometimes they maybe dont want too...theres no answer to this problem because every day it happens , we can only watch them as closely as possible and to continually reassure them things are safe at home and with family...love them plenty but sometimes in many cases thats not enough and when depression is noted we have to seek professional help....thats not a weakness its common bloody sense """

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    A very good heads up post mate and i really am so sorry for your family loss.....As a father and grand father our children are the most important thing in our lives so its so important to become involved in their life,even though sometimes they maybe dont want too...theres no answer to this problem because every day it happens , we can only watch them as closely as possible and to continually reassure them things are safe at home and with family...love them plenty but sometimes in many cases thats not enough and when depression is noted we have to seek professional help....thats not a weakness its common bloody sense """
    It's bloody hard losin someone so young. I very nearly lost the plot in that first week after it happened. It was only my 3 little ones (aged 1, 3 and 4) and my wife that held me together. Being the middle of winter with very little money and very little work didn't make it any easier.

I'm back on my feet now. There's still that **** feeling of loss that never goes away. But ya just have to keep goin don't ya. Keepin busy and staying close to my family is how I deal with hard stuff like this.

Jason Forrest
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

Thats so sad, not sure what the answer is,, like you say its a different ball game now, the social media can be good for the so called popular kids but can be the opposite for others.. Although you and your family will never forget this time does have a way of easing the pain a bit.
    All the best mate to you and all concerned.
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

Not good when anyone takes their own life. Sorry for your loss.
    Now it looks like Robin Williams has taken his as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    Not good when anyone takes their own life. Sorry for your loss.
    Now it looks like Robin Williams has taken his as well.
    Yeah no good at all. Just heard today that the young nephew of one of my favorite clients took his own life last week as well. WTF is goin on with these kids?

Jason Forrest
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

My nephews two best mates have done the same thing in the last 12 months. It really pisses me off when people do this, its such a waste ,young kids with their whole life ahead of them. And they don't realize what it does to the ones left behind.

I don't understand it at all.

Jason Forrest
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

Sorry for your loss mate. That's an awful thing to have to go through.
    All the best to your family.

It's so hard just trying to understand it and the pain one goes through thinking what could i have done to stop this and having virtually no signs in picking up what was about to happen.

Scares me just thinking about the whole thing and my own kids (5 adults now)

Jason,

So sorry to hear the tragic circumstances that have unfolded within your family and relations.
    Your post is a powerful read and hits home in content and re the electronic 24/7 social web something that we never had to experience once home in our day.

I can relate to the bullying and isolation, loss of friends, withdrawal to leave ones bedroom and social media attacks. This I saw over many years to my youngest daughter across her teens and including out of her teens.
    Keep a very close eye on the situation as best as one kinda can and asked the other daughter who was 2yrs older for much needed assistance to give never ending feedback re if things were tracking Ok. I was so glad when my youngest daughter meet a nice young man a few years ago. Her boyfriend who is very confident is now starting a degree, he supported her and managed her moods with amazing calmness.

In my past career within management that many here on the forum know which occupation it was.
    I saw many troubled young employees and found that some came to me as there chosen person to seek help in their expression of trust within their own way. Not being a counsellor, I had to elevate to HR to seek guidance. It was hard some times to even realise that I was the one chosen to hear or decipher their cries of help.
    Sadly one of my young female staff member of indian/hindi background was living the female Australian freedom way of life against her parents cultural beliefs. She attempted self harm for attention amongst her family/friends. Took time of work and was accepted back at a later date and suicided not long after.
    I attended the funeral as her boss and behalf of the company. The funeral was full of young people, an experience I will never forget.

Jason, thanks for sharing your personal and families hardship during a tough time as it just may help another parent to awaken or wise up to the brutal evil of bullying.
    Cheers Garry