Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: No ABN

Default No ABN

I see a lot of people advertising on free gumtree with no ABN
    It has a spot to place the ABN in a section at time of filling in details for the add.

Makes you wonder if the ATO looks at gumtree businesses

Default Re: No ABN

They might, but logic suggests cost per hour X penalty fees is lowball tax gain, best to go after the big money shonks.

I read on a post that the ATO and work cover inspectors are going to focus their search on non registered , non insured businesses, Not just no ABN.
    They are aiming on the old school guys been mowing lawns for years and years... without any regos.
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Randomly clicking on Indy members websites,out of 10 random sites only 1 site displayed a ABN.
    Which was ah&g at the bottom on the opening page,no one else's could i see.Most unusual.

You would think being registered with a ABN it would be something not to leave out,i know with yellow pages (sensis) they wanted it from me and it's displayed on my opening page

However you don't have to have insurance if you don't want to, unless its compulsory, something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by imoww View Post
    I read on a post that the ATO and work cover inspectors are going to focus their search on non registered , non insured businesses, Not just no ABN.
    They are aiming on the old school guys been mowing lawns for years and years... without any regos.

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    Randomly clicking on Indy members websites,out of 10 random sites only 1 site displayed a ABN.
    Which was ah&g at the bottom on the opening page,no one else's could i see.Most unusual.

You would think being registered with a ABN it would be something not to leave out,i know with yellow pages (sensis) they wanted it from me and it's displayed on my opening page

It's up to the individual if they wish to advertise their ABN. As long as they have one, it's not hard to search for. I don't have my ABN on my advertising, but will openly give it to anyone that asks for it.

Very easy to.trace a business name or operator name to an ABN on the asic website. I am sure they are clever enough to add it up.
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

Let's get some facts right for this discussion.

If you look at the ATO website, then it clearly states that having an ABN is *not* mandatory if you are carrying on a business. Depending on circumstances, you may well need an ABN to satisfy necessary pre-requisites in meeting your obligations.
    Eg. If you operate under a business name, then you are required to register it and you will have an ABN as a consequence.
    They suggest it "may be good business practice" to have an ABN, but no compulsion.
    Quoting from the ATO website re registering for GST
    "You must register for GST if you run a business or enterprise and your GST turnover is $75,000 or more ($150,000 or more for non-profit organisations)."
    If it's under the 75K turnover, you may register.
    Of course to register, a pre-requisite is an ABN

So really if you run what the ATO call a 'micro business' which is the scale of business that many sole trader-part timers will fit into, an ABN and GST rego is not mandatory.
    If you are not reliant on your business ops for your 'sole bread and butter income', it's more than likely a 'micro business' in the eyes of the ATO.
    Even though we might like to consider ourselves as a 'small business', the ATO /govt is looking at turnovers of $1M or more to be in their view a 'small business' and SME's are bigger again.

Now even if you operate a 'micro business', that does not exempt you from ATO income tax obligations or public liability, safe working practices etc, but that is another matter.

Joe

Not sure if this helps but for us We only do commercial work no private, we don't get work unless we have abn and Registered for gst not a real big problem either way to be honest but there is paperwork and the fee for abn number business name cheers

If you look at the ATO website, then it clearly states that having an ABN is *not* mandatory if you are carrying on a business. Depending on circumstances, you may well need an ABN to satisfy necessary pre-requisites in meeting your obligations.
    Eg. If you operate under a business name, then you are required to register it and you will have an ABN as a consequence.
    They suggest it "may be good business practice" to have an ABN, but no compulsion.
    Quoting from the ATO website re registering for GST
    "You must register for GST if you run a business or enterprise and your GST turnover is $75,000 or more ($150,000 or more for non-profit organisations)."
    If it's under the 75K turnover, you may register.
    Of course to register, a pre-requisite is an ABN

So really if you run what the ATO call a 'micro business' which is the scale of business that many sole trader-part timers will fit into, an ABN and GST rego is not mandatory.
    If you are not reliant on your business ops for your 'sole bread and butter income', it's more than likely a 'micro business' in the eyes of the ATO.
    Even though we might like to consider ourselves as a 'small business', the ATO /govt is looking at turnovers of $1M or more to be in their view a 'small business' and SME's are bigger again.

Now even if you operate a 'micro business', that does not exempt you from ATO income tax obligations or public liability, safe working practices etc, but that is another matter.

Joe[/QUOTE]