Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: What to do

Default What to do

I have been told by 3 different doctors in the last few weeks, to give the game away. Easier said than done, the last one to tell me was more on the mark and sympathetic of my situation, he said my body wont last another 20 years mowing, and that it is time to either move on or employ people to do the work. He said its time to really start to make decisions and be sorted out within 2 years max.Its a bit hard to swallow when this is all I know, I have been in the turf maintenance industry since I was 15 years old, so there is nothing to fall back on. Even though this work has all its problems and faults I still love what I do and would probably do it all again, maybe a little different. Only last week I had cut a lawn early one morning, the sun was out, and you could smell the freshly cut grass, and I thought to myself I really love this, but it is just about over.
    I am depressed and worried about what to do, any advice on growing to a larger business??? I would need at least 2 employees ,its a big decision I don't know what to do.I have had an offsider before but that was casual, this would be a whole different ball game.
    I have thought about setting up a business just spraying and fertilizing lawns, but Im not sure if I would get enough work to keep me going.Any thoughts guys

Default Re: What to do

what part of your body are they talking about ?

Any doctor could say that to any hard worker, your body wont last another 20 years, get your self good heath insurance and do what you love, you have obviously seen the hard working people when they are old, they may have pain but they walk rings around the ones 20 years younger that do bugger all. may need one employee to cover you when your get body things fixed or some INDIES if you have any in the area.

Stop moving and you will loose more and faster.

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    I have been told by 3 different doctors in the last few weeks, to give the game away. Easier said than done, the last one to tell me was more on the mark and sympathetic of my situation, he said my body wont last another 20 years mowing, and that it is time to either move on or employ people to do the work. He said its time to really start to make decisions and be sorted out within 2 years max.Its a bit hard to swallow when this is all I know, I have been in the turf maintenance industry since I was 15 years old, so there is nothing to fall back on. Even though this work has all its problems and faults I still love what I do and would probably do it all again, maybe a little different. Only last week I had cut a lawn early one morning, the sun was out, and you could smell the freshly cut grass, and I thought to myself I really love this, but it is just about over.
    I am depressed and worried about what to do, any advice on growing to a larger business??? I would need at least 2 employees ,its a big decision I don't know what to do.I have had an offsider before but that was casual, this would be a whole different ball game.
    I have thought about setting up a business just spraying and fertilizing lawns, but Im not sure if I would get enough work to keep me going.Any thoughts guys
    Sorry to hear that Nlalm.. What about doing commercial work with a ride on?

I have a bulging disk from Bricklaying for so many years doing the job, I was also sick of how regulated the industry was so made the move to mowing and haven't had a problem since with the disk. I had a torn Achilles when I started mowing and the doctor advised me not to do it as it may get worse but all the walking has fixed it.
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

Hi NLALM

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, There's a guy around here that just does liquid fertilising, I see him a fair bit and a couple of guys I play golf with, swear by him and reckon it's the bees knees and he's always getting repeat business as a result. their website is below:
    http://coochie.com.au/
    Maybe you could start a indy liquid fertiliser business?

Sorry to hear also Nlalm...
    If you were to employ , it would cost heaps . You could always hire a subcontractor/s on a contract? A hell of allot better off financially.
    You work out a percentage for an income. But you would have to have allot of business to make anything.
    My advise would be to speak to your accountant on options...

Nice one Scotty. Coochie fert guys are everywhere these days. Its great stuff. I have a few clients who use them. Their lawns just keep growing.
    Looks like a winner for Nlalm if he enters the coochie franchise....
    Quote Originally Posted by LGGF View Post
    Hi NLALM

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, There's a guy around here that just does liquid fertilising, I see him a fair bit and a couple of guys I play golf with, swear by him and reckon it's the bees knees and he's always getting repeat business as a result. their website is below:
    http://coochie.com.au/
    Maybe you could start a indy liquid fertiliser business?
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Thanks guys, I will send coochie an inquiry . I have thought of them before I am sure that would be a goer around here, but I think it was about 75k to get into a few years ago.Which is to much for me, I think I could set myself up with good gear for about 5k then add a good website.But if it failed I would be in trouble.

Coochie fert guys ??? Grrrr. Hopeless.

Quote Originally Posted by m287j View Post
    Coochie fert guys ??? Grrrr. Hopeless.
    Matt you cant stop there tell us the story

Big consideration is "what is stuffed?"
    How old are you in years, and also physically?
    What are you interested in outside of mowing lawns?

For example -
    My back is like a corkscrew, so about 10 years ago I had to drop the tree lopping part of my business. 5 years ago it got to the point where I couldn't use the hedge trimmer without putting myself off work, so I quit all gardening jobs.
    Past year or so it's the whippy that messes me up, so that's on the way out too.
    Now I just mow lawns, and have a few family work as offsiders when it's busy.
    I've run employees before and while they help with the work, you couldn't say they are profitable.

My wife and I are starting a new business making lightweight hiking equipment - simply because the stuff you can buy is crap (sounds familiar ?) and I'm a Scout leader with 4x sons.
    "Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
    If someone says "Can't" , take the "T" off the end and brew it.
    Sip on a mugfull, relax, and take a look at what you've got left to work with.

If you are nearing 70 You have vast experience.
    You have seen years of plenty of rain and desicating drought.
    There are plenty of beautiful people out there who need help.
    Modify your approach.
    Be thoughtful.
    Try this, buy this book and take it to one of your customers, and just talk about it,
    Australian Magpie by Gisela T. Kaplan Paperback Book Free Shipping.
    Then get one on roses, fruit tree pruning, dahlia lifting, whatever.
    You will become the gentle speciallist.
    You will get more cups of tea and respect than you ever had.
    Just pick a topic and try to enthuse someone.
    Every one loves green things and you are the speciallist.