Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: hows the weather

  1. #3946
    Senior Member geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Clyde
    Posts
    3,340

    Default Re: hows the weather

    long range in melbourne
    • August to October rainfall is likely to be below average for most of southern mainland Australia. probably a light growing season so for those just mowing could be up the creek ......with no water....one positive it get rid of the volume cheap arse priced lawn mower people....we have seen this before over the journey and to survive you must cover all bases to drought proof yourself...thats in my humble opinion of course ...

  2. #3947
    Member Redeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Shoalhaven ,NSW
    Posts
    5,117

    Default Re: hows the weather

    yep, you need to be flexible - l'm not looking forward to this summer, reckon it could be a stinker




    http://www.curraronglawnsngarden.com/

    http://curraronggardening.com/

    "All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

  3. #3948
    Senior Member steveo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Can Bearer
    Posts
    1,505

    Default Re: hows the weather

    A question to those who survived that last big 10 year drought. If you knew there was a 10 year drought coming, would you sell up and bail out or ride it out.

  4. #3949
    Very Helpful Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    melb.sth. east
    Posts
    4,581

    Default Re: hows the weather

    ride it out like i did last time but i do think if it comes that most of the people around me should just close up and get a job
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

  5. #3950
    Junior Member ludrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Newcastle area
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: hows the weather

    Was just thinking the same thing. Not looking forward to a stinker.

  6. #3951
    Senior Member Chris B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,115

    Default Re: hows the weather

    Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    If your running honda's, try extra rear wheels, 2 or 3 wheels on each side, just get longer axle wheel bolts.

    Ive used 2 wheels on each side before when single wheels just bogged and it worked, 3 would be even better.
    would love to see a pic of that setup if you have one?

  7. #3952

    Default Re: hows the weather

    Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    long range in melbourne
    • August to October rainfall is likely to be below average for most of southern mainland Australia. probably a light growing season so for those just mowing could be up the creek ......with no water....one positive it get rid of the volume cheap arse priced lawn mower people....we have seen this before over the journey and to survive you must cover all bases to drought proof yourself...thats in my humble opinion of course ...
    Light growing season is just fine for me!!!
    http://www.southeastmowing.com.au
    Mob: 0423 091 182


    http://www.southeast-mowing.com.au
    Mob: 0411 040 026


    www.facebook.com/SouthEastMowing

    http://www.secmelbourne.com.au


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Learn from yesterday, Live for today, Hope for tomorrow.

    If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving!

  8. #3953
    Senior Member Scooby Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,444

    Default Re: hows the weather

    Sorry if it offends some but me i can't wait for the next drought. Will send all the volume players to the wall. The big businesses currently killing the market with their cheaper than cheap rates wont survive, the low ballers wont survive, the ones that pretend that they are doing the right thing but still lowballing everyone wont survive. Can't wait. We'll soon see who the decent professional contractors are and who has been appealing to the lowest common denominator. Bring it on.

  9. #3954
    Senior Member steveo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Can Bearer
    Posts
    1,505

    Default Re: hows the weather

    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Steve View Post
    Sorry if it offends some but me i can't wait for the next drought. Will send all the volume players to the wall. The big businesses currently killing the market with their cheaper than cheap rates wont survive, the low ballers wont survive, the ones that pretend that they are doing the right thing but still lowballing everyone wont survive. Can't wait. We'll soon see who the decent professional contractors are and who has been appealing to the lowest common denominator. Bring it on.
    Whilst one dry spring by no means does not make a drought this dry start to the spring has a fairly ominous feel about it. The ground is so dry already and lawn growth has not got under way. Only thing to mow is weeds that somehow manage to find moisture. Its been windy, with cold minimums and no rain and its about to warm up so not looking real good.

  10. #3955
    Senior Member BeetleJuice's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    1,504

    Default Re: hows the weather

    Usually here in SA all boot owner operators in Dec-Jan dry dusty conditions the work has dropped off and so do they.Customers calling them with no reply to messages or phone pick up then start looking for a replacement,same cycle every year.

  11. #3956
    Senior Member Scooby Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,444

    Default Re: hows the weather

    Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    Whilst one dry spring by no means does not make a drought this dry start to the spring has a fairly ominous feel about it. The ground is so dry already and lawn growth has not got under way. Only thing to mow is weeds that somehow manage to find moisture. Its been windy, with cold minimums and no rain and its about to warm up so not looking real good.
    All good down here in Melbourne unfortunately, plays right into the hands of the volume operators. Cheap cheap cheap, go go go.

  12. #3957
    Member brett73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Capel Sound(Rosebud West) Vic
    Posts
    358

    Default Re: hows the weather

    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Steve View Post
    All good down here in Melbourne unfortunately, plays right into the hands of the volume operators. Cheap cheap cheap, go go go.
    Yep they are certainly out and about and it's going to be a bumper crop over the next cpl of weeks, it's about to kick off in a big way down here.

  13. #3958
    Senior Member simo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ballina Far north nsw (Paradise)
    Posts
    991

    Default Re: hows the weather

    Come to Ballina Steve
    Been in the business going on 20 yrs less than 25mm in the last 3 months warm weather to boot 38c yesterday no rain on the horizon
    I'm just about to redraw on the mortgage
    I've done all the pushing for odd jobs
    Most of The lawns on my run have not been mowed for 6-10 weeks
    This financial yr has been a loss so far
    Drought sucks 2nd yr for us in this part of oz for spring/ summer (winter was good )
    No offence I know we're your coming from but Beer bob survives on centre link handouts then pop up again when it rains
    Drought is good for nobody
    Greg
    ....Nothing like a good wipper....

  14. #3959
    Senior Member Scooby Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,444

    Default Re: hows the weather

    Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    Come to Ballina Steve
    Been in the business going on 20 yrs less than 25mm in the last 3 months warm weather to boot 38c yesterday no rain on the horizon
    I'm just about to redraw on the mortgage
    I've done all the pushing for odd jobs
    Most of The lawns on my run have not been mowed for 6-10 weeks
    This financial yr has been a loss so far
    Drought sucks 2nd yr for us in this part of oz for spring/ summer (winter was good )
    No offence I know we're your coming from but Beer bob survives on centre link handouts then pop up again when it rains
    Drought is good for nobody
    Greg
    Been through plenty of droughts Greg, been in the biz going on 26 years and my Dad started it in 1970 so we've felt the sting of a drought or two or more like six or seven. We had a 13 year dry spell here in metro Melbourne not that long ago and while it hurt and stung financially and it gets to you emotionally too, the positive out of it was that the volume players went bust and it culls half of your competition. So while it may be stinging atm you may find some positives in a bad situation. Hang in there, if you want some tips on how to survive it ring me cheers Craig.

  15. #3960
    Senior Member simo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ballina Far north nsw (Paradise)
    Posts
    991

    Default Re: hows the weather

    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Steve View Post
    Been through plenty of droughts Greg, been in the biz going on 26 years and my Dad started it in 1970 so we've felt the sting of a drought or two or more like six or seven. We had a 13 year dry spell here in metro Melbourne not that long ago and while it hurt and stung financially and it gets to you emotionally too, the positive out of it was that the volume players went bust and it culls half of your competition. So while it may be stinging atm you may find some positives in a bad situation. Hang in there, if you want some tips on how to survive it ring me cheers Craig.
    Cheers mate
    All good the rains will come some day
    Your right about it hurting emotionally too
    Hard to get going knowing your just going to get knocked back on most jobs for the day ..
    Motto atm is just do it 😃
    ....Nothing like a good wipper....

Page 264 of 265 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142434445464748495051525354555657585960616263646566676869707172737475767778798081828384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158159160161162163164165166167168169170171172173174175176177178179180181182183184185186187188189190191192193194195196197198199200201202203204205206207208209210211212213214215216217218219220221222223224225226227228229230231232233234235236237238239240241242243244245246247248249250251252253254255256257258259260261262263264265 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •