Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: What is the best way to approach businesses to get work?

Default What is the best way to approach businesses to get work?

What is the best way to approach businesses to get work?

I would like get work gardening and mowing in age care homes , service station , child care centres and just wanted to know what would be the best way to go about this .

Regards Graeme Lipsys
    South Australia

Default Re: What is the best way to approach businesses to get work?

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme L View Post
    What is the best way to approach businesses to get work?

I would like get work gardening and mowing in age care homes , service station , child care centres and just wanted to know what would be the best way to go about this .

Regards Graeme Lipsys
    South Australia
    Servo's, ask to see the manager and give your spiel, from my experience they aren't loyal or willing to pay a good price, but maybe South Australia is different to my area. Sometimes Servo's are linked so if you get one you might snag two or three more, but i think there is better payers in different sectors myself but see how you go.

Aged care centres, you will need to speak to the maintenance managers but again from my experience with these places they aren't exactly flushed with cash but again South Aus maybe different to here.

Child care centres can be good, plenty of money in the privately run ones, speak to the manager of the centre, most of there websites will have the managers name somewhere, so start there.

Some body corporate and owners corporations also deal with the type of jobs you are after so they could also be worth a try.

Personally i'm happy with any customer as long as they pay, i don't limit myself to just commercial work, do a good job and provide a great service and the jobs will come to you.

I find Retirement/Nursing homes and childcare centres to be quite tight with money. I personally wouldn't target them.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilG View Post
    I find Retirement/Nursing homes and childcare centres to be quite tight with money. I personally wouldn't target them.
    Childcare centres are ok Phil as long as they are privately run. They charge $115 a day per kid so they are doing ok , i agree on the retirement homes. Times the $115 by around 100 kids per day and well you get the point they are doing just fine. You just need to find the non tight ones!

If you want to target the aged care or child care sectors make sure you already have a Police Check and a working with children check prior to approaching them.
    Approaching them without this will make you look silly and unprofessional.

I have and still do work in the aged care sector, good paying and they have been loyal to me for over 6 years now. In the past 12 months I have entered the child care sector as well, great payers and money doesn't seem to be an issue.

Be prepared to work out of hours and weekends in the child care sector.

Be careful how many of these you take on. They can become quite a drain on your time and you can lose them as quick as you get them. If that happens you lose a large slice of your work. I personally prefer smaller jobs but more of them. Easy to absorb a loss
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Be careful how many of these you take on. They can become quite a drain on your time and you can lose them as quick as you get them. If that happens you lose a large slice of your work. I personally prefer smaller jobs but more of them. Easy to absorb a loss
    Too true. I've had troublesome small jobs being smartazz's before and essentially they were worth $10wk gross. $6wk after expenses so not too concerned if the job was no more.

This industry is getting so cut-throat you'd think we'd be putting certain topics in the closed section.... Come on guys

Very true Paul . Good point
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quoting a aged care facility tomorrow ha funny world.