Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: camper trailers

Default camper trailers

Has anyone got one or had any experience with camper trailers ?

Default Re: camper trailers

Just sold mine. It was a Mars soft floor camper, had it for 1 year (bought it brand new) and used it 6 times on and off road. The reason we sold it was because it took too long to set up and pack up. Also hated the fact that if the canvas was wet I had to set it up to dry at home. We have now just bought a caravan.
    Honda HRX217
    Rover Procut 50
    Stihl Kombi 130
    Stihl FS85r
    Stihl BG86

Quote Originally Posted by Geelong-Mowing View Post
    Just sold mine. It was a Mars soft floor camper, had it for 1 year (bought it brand new) and used it 6 times on and off road. The reason we sold it was because it took too long to set up and pack up. Also hated the fact that if the canvas was wet I had to set it up to dry at home. We have now just bought a caravan.
    We had a new Jayco Swan 12 yrs ago, whilst not quite a camper trailer in the strict sense. But traded it for a pop top van after 8 months owning it. All the same reasons as Geelong- Mowing said, especially the wet canvas part of the story.

One of my very good customers had the true off road type camper trailer/tent trailer and they are selling it for similar reasons, we were discussing it this arvo.
    Just our experiences, but one needs to start somewhere and crawl before ya walk.
    People in a say OzTrail 5 man tent would dream of a Camper Trailer and so on.
    Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    We had a new Jayco Swan 12 yrs ago, whilst not quite a camper trailer in the strict sense. But traded it for a pop top van after 8 months owning it. All the same reasons as Geelong- Mowing said, especially the wet canvas part of the story.

One of my very good customers had the true off road type camper trailer/tent trailer and they are selling it for similar reasons, we were discussing it this arvo.
    Just our experiences, but one needs to start somewhere and crawl before ya walk.
    People in a say OzTrail 5 man tent would dream of a Camper Trailer and so on.
    isn't that true We have a turbo tent and do a lot of camping and I have always dreamed of owing a camper trailer

We went camping recently with a few other families one had a off road camper trailer it was very nice on airbags, power, fridge freezer pull out kitchen ect.

set up it was awesome but a lot of work putting it up and down and they didn't end up putting up the annex.

Those pop tops are looking very appealing to me.

Dads see remote campsites with no other campers, mums see caravan parks with pools for kids and all the mod cons of home.
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

Quote Originally Posted by courty View Post
    Dads see remote campsites with no other campers, mums see caravan parks with pools for kids and all the mod cons of home.
    lol Took me ages to get the wife to come with me once the kids were born , first time all four us went no showers and pit toilets both kids got gastro followed closely by me then my wife was not pretty.

The next few years were spent at tallebudgerra or dicky beach starting to go a bit more remote now

Cool Re: camper trailers

Quote Originally Posted by Bgs View Post
    lol Took me ages to get the wife to come with me once the kids were born , first time all four us went no showers and pit toilets both kids got gastro followed closely by me then my wife was not pretty.

The next few years were spent at tallebudgerra or dicky beach starting to go a bit more remote now
    Haha I used to like remote but I'm happy now to be in a park wedged between a beach and a pub and a restaurant or two
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

Quote Originally Posted by courty View Post
    Haha I used to like remote but I'm happy now to be in a park wedged between a beach and a pub and a restaurant or two
    You nailed it, that's why we are going to the caravan park at Myrtleford Vic on Boxing Day. Across the bridge from C/Park are the yuppie licensed pizza joints and pubs/counter teas with cold beer and a very short walk back to the van for another beer.

When we had the canvas wind up Jayco Swan, we always stressed about the weather forecast for departure day. Also dew on the canvas on departure was another pain.
    Cheers Garry

My old man is keen on an off road type van/camper type thing. I dont know the terms for each. But sounds like the canvas can be an issue and look for ones that are easy to put up!

If I told him to look for a off road pop top, would that be the best way to go? Whats a rough price on these things? (I know, many variables) But just a basic idea on a middle of the road sort of thing!

Ji-normuss variables to consider as mentioned.

Talking new - Most are built in Melbourne, if the purchase choice is a Melb made product then it will be thousands cheaper in Melb due to freight.

I'm on my third van, starting firstly with a Jayco Swan wind up, then Jayco 16ft pop top and now the tandem pop top. The last two where purchased exactly one week after the dealer attending a major Industry Camping Show event. That's how one can get it at a much cheaper price IMO.

The first pop top the Seaford Dealer Melb had sold 60 vans at the show and the change over price from the 8 month old Jayco Swan to Pop Top was pure magic.
    The latest one ordered in Sept this yr, the country dealer sold 35 vans at the show and when we haggled the dealer under walk away pressure and disclosure of super low prices from the Jayco Mildura dealer. He offered us a $2,000 drop on the previous best price offered (but not straight away). We told him a price that needed to be meet. Also we got a further $1,000 of extra's fitted as we haggled during the inside the demo van talk with no trade in and cash in the pocket.
    They will deal and deal hard after a show as the profit and sales are already made at the show with all at the dealership happy sitting back drinking their coffee. Any further sales very immediately after the show in our case for the dealer are the icing on cake and a minimal profit margin deal can be easier to haggle. As it can make their sales number look better to mother factory and within their peer dealerships. We waited just before the end of a week after the show to insure that the full team was back on deck and their days off owing from show weekend had been had.

So when you walk into a display van and see the A4 plastic stand with a bulldust driveaway price inserted, we got that down by $4,000 and another $1,000 in freebies and our van was in the middle price range of van's.
    Cheers Garry

Yes we had a camper trailer, if you have shoulder problems then get a hard floor camper which has a windup top so you are not having to use those shoulders to set it up, well not as much. As othesr have said. heavy dew or rain and you have to go home and unpack again and let dry, caravan just pack up and go. Even pop tops really need to have the canvas dried if it was raining when you packed up. You will get mould on the canvas. We had that problem with out pop top.
    We are setup for remote camping, the other half enjoys it, only draw back is that you have to be really scroogey with your water, really short showers every 2nd day. About to buy a behind seat bladder which will allow us to carry a extra 150litres of water, just fill it up when we go back into suburbia then pump it back into your tanks when you get back to camp.
    Love the peace and quiet and the wildlife of remote camping.

My old man is 75 and this all needs to be easy as to set up. He's into gold prospecting, fossicking etc. It will just be him and his friend. Im actually hoping its just a pipe dream but mum just died and he now has a lot of free time. Im all for him getting away but it really needs to be quick and easy to do. This canvas stuff is a bit of a concern, maybe solid's the way to go???? I think he mentioned he wants low profile or something. I assume thats like a pop top. Theres a lot more to this than I thought!

Personally, give me a resort with a bar and a surf break out the front and Im happy! Went to Bali 10 or so yrs ago. Kuta reef right out front, house band that I got to know well (even jammed with them) and surfed Kuta reef at 3' to 4' on my own for 3hrs.
    Best holiday ever! haaa

It REALLY comes down to $$$$$.
    They vary so much from cheap trailer tents to the Taj mahal.
    If you can get to a large caravan/camping show, most major mobs display their gear there.
    You'll get a much better idea of price, quality & value at these shows.
    Mate has a Kimberly camper which is at the top end.
    Hard floor gas struts & winch means its only a minute or two to put up/take down.
    In its basic form its inhabitable in no time but, then the work begins.
    Its the awnings/annexes that take all the time & yes, you still have the canvas issues.
    Its magnif off road & can be dragged over all the high country mountain tracks but, you pay for this.
    Mick, you can go to cross overs with exceptional off road ability which will alleviate the canvas but, $$$$$$$
    4wd/camping is my hobby & although I like pubs/restuarants, I prefer it to be as remote as poss.
    The other stuff which I can handle too is referred to as Glamping, very easy to take but usually involves more $ & crowds.
    Back to your original Q, what do you really want to know?
    Cheers Fred.

Wow now you guys have stuffed me up. Maybe you can give me an idea of what I should do, if I tell you what I want it for, I don't have heaps of room to store it, and I only mow lawns for a living so money is tight. The deal is my 2 young blokes are growing fast and I want to have a bit of fun before Im totally stuffed body wise.You may know or not know the Nelson Bay area, well its 45 mins from my hut, we love going there for a surf on the weekend and maybe a fish on Stockton beach if we have time, I have been doing that all my life. My oldies had a onsite van up there when I was younger great place to go with a new girlfriend if you get my drift.
    Anyway I was thinking we should start going away Friday arvo and come home on Sunday arvo, Its to expensive to stay in a motel and the cabins in the caravan parks are even dearer. So my plan was something I can hook up and go, easy or fast to set up , and pack up. Tents are a pain, so I thought a trailer might be the go, but I know nothing about them, maybe a small pop top could be the go, I need it big enough for the 4 of us...??????

Mark
    I'm sure there would be someone hiring them in Newcastle , try before you buy mate.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast