Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from Lower Blue Mountains

Default Hi from Lower Blue Mountains

Hi folks, finally got onboard, just a little about me.
    Was working in IT for what was a great company then they expanded and things seemed to go downhill, more and more expectations without pay rises, xmas bonuses got trimmed over the last few years too, had a big chat with the missus and decided it was time to leave, was going to resign after jul 2015 but things just got too much so I resigned xmas eve and havent looked back, having the grandson over helped me decide, it was either resign or have a nervous breakdown or maybe worse, didnt want to not be there for the him.
    Anyway called the boss and told him thats it, decided to just try my hand at lawnmowing for a while and see how it goes, good hard honest work with little pressure!
    So far its only been 1 month but have got a few jobs, no repeats yet but a few have said they will call me again!
    So I am working from about Lawson to Blacktown!

Default Re: Hi from Lower Blue Mountains

Welcome aboard...

that is a big area you are covering there!!!

from one grandpa to another good luck mate,,,,the older you get the better life is especially doing this job ...you have picked a good one ,its good to go to work and enjoy the day...onya granpa

Quote Originally Posted by gm2005 View Post
    Hi folks, finally got onboard, just a little about me.
    Was working in IT for what was a great company then they expanded and things seemed to go downhill, more and more expectations without pay rises, xmas bonuses got trimmed over the last few years too, had a big chat with the missus and decided it was time to leave, was going to resign after jul 2015 but things just got too much so I resigned xmas eve and havent looked back, having the grandson over helped me decide, it was either resign or have a nervous breakdown or maybe worse, didnt want to not be there for the him.
    Anyway called the boss and told him thats it, decided to just try my hand at lawnmowing for a while and see how it goes, good hard honest work with little pressure!
    So far its only been 1 month but have got a few jobs, no repeats yet but a few have said they will call me again!
    So I am working from about Lawson to Blacktown!
    welcome mate, you'll have to work on your post count it's pretty low.

Yes, got to get the posts up, anyway did a quote yesterday up winmalee, fairly avg yard but with some retaining walls and stuff, quoted $80 and got the job, they want me back as a regular so dropped to $70 (they did ask about discount for regs), job took about 2.5 hours with a few drink breaks.
    Anyway got another quote from a previous customer passing on a bus card, had a look and was shocked, only an avg size block maybe 600 sqm, but so overgrown, the back yard was up to my hips, and they wanted some bush that had popped up while they were away, removed, the bush looks a bit like privet or something, it would be an all day job and I know I will be buggered afterwards, anyway quoted her $500 yes thats right, advised her to try calling a franchise anyway as I am really not equipped for such a large job, but if they accept my $500 quote then I guess I will grit my teeth and do it.
    Been getting an avg of 3 jobs a week but mostly large jobs with lots of overgrowth with all the rain then sun we are having!

When i get the larger jobs sometimes I'll go back again rather than do it in one day. If you can factor the two visits in it at least gives you that option.

Most people call lawnies because their lawns are so feral, they cant be bothered doing it themselves, or they are overwelmed migrants etc. Its very rare that someone just calls you up to start maintaining a well kept lawn. Most of those ready made customers come from referrals from existing clients. You will soon develop a second sense regarding owners of ferals and potential good regular clients.
    Always leave them with a short, clear map in their mind regarding what happens with the "other" regular clients that you look after in their area. You will know then and there if they are interested. Often they will not be, but will still call on a semi-regular basis. These types get charged out to the millisecond for all future work, and need to wait until all regs are well and truly looked after, because most will call during your busiest times, when good regs like to be treated as number 1.

Bad payers will always be bad payers
    crappy clients will always remain that way
    Keep your list revolving and moving prices upward and PITA'S downwards. That way you can never say that your client list is full, but you can say your business is always improving.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather.....not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stump View Post
    Most people call lawnies because their lawns are so feral, they cant be bothered doing it themselves, or they are overwelmed migrants etc. Its very rare that someone just calls you up to start maintaining a well kept lawn. Most of those ready made customers come from referrals from existing clients. You will soon develop a second sense regarding owners of ferals and potential good regular clients.
    Always leave them with a short, clear map in their mind regarding what happens with the "other" regular clients that you look after in their area. You will know then and there if they are interested. Often they will not be, but will still call on a semi-regular basis. These types get charged out to the millisecond for all future work, and need to wait until all regs are well and truly looked after, because most will call during your busiest times, when good regs like to be treated as number 1.

Keep your list revolving and moving prices upward and PITA'S downwards. That way you can never say that your client list is full, but you can say your business is always improving.

Spot on advice there Stump. With ferals always over quote it and make sure if you get it that it will be a well paying job. And take the time to walk through it thoroughly. I give them two prices. Full clean up with everything done properly and bargain basement slash and drop. You will be surprised how many settle for the latter. That works for you too as its quicker and less work. But still charge high because everyone else with an ounce of sense does.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

And in most cases I get the money before I start, write the docket out, cut lawn, trim edges, owners bin, catch front lawn, mow and drop rear lawn, check for busted downpipes and other damage, note the damage, get them to sign the docket, get the cash and do the job, no arguments and price reductions at the end.

If they don't like the terms then leave the job. Feral lawns are mongrels to do, the occupier just wants it hacked down, no fancy edging or trimming weeds in the garden, that's why I know they think your going to whipper the garden beds and can get cheesed off if you don't. And if they stand around watching you do the job insist they get inside in case of flying debris. I'm semi retired now and the first job was a feral that took me 3 hrs for 70 bucks, I did a great job, 12 months later they want it done again, quoted $130, never heard back. (eff'n good!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Stump View Post

well said, wise words indeed.

Very wise words from the experienced guys, thanks for the info, did 2 jobs this morning, 1 just the back lawn not all that overgrown 1 hour for $50 no problem, the other was just the front sort of nature strip area, $150 as it was very overgrown, no problems there either except half way through I decided to swap the wippy head for a tri blade slasher head and couldnt find the nut, thought I had left it at home, when I got home I found it in my tool box on the back seat after all, dont you hate it when that happens!

Your doin ok for a new lawnie, ok how are you marketing yourself?
    Very wise words from the experienced guys, thanks for the info, did 2 jobs this morning, 1 just the back lawn not all that overgrown 1 hour for $50 no problem, the other was just the front sort of nature strip area, $150 as it was very overgrown, no problems there either except half way through I decided to swap the wippy head for a tri blade slasher head and couldnt find the nut, thought I had left it at home, when I got home I found it in my tool box on the back seat after all, dont you hate it when that happens!

good to see your doing well, as for slashing down grass try some Diamond Edge Trimmer Line 2.7mm, great for slashing grass and lasts http://www.indmowing.com.au/catalog/...roducts_id=581

I run Diamond Edge 2.4mm on one sniper for everyday edges etc {highly recomended} and the 2.7 on another sniper for slashing or working fast through Kikuyu edges

I'm doing ok, getting a few jobs a week through the local papers only, but gumtree seems to be the go, its free and I reckon I got almost as much work through that as the paid adverts

Heres a before and after shot of a job I did last sat morning, charged her $150 (I didnt take pics of the rest of it), its a sort of nature strip area that people walk along and the lady wanted it cleaned up due to a few snake sightings in the area, about half way into the job I decided to swap the wipper head for a tri blade head, but couldnt find the bolt, thought I left it at home, when I got home I found it in the ute, anyway finished the job off this morning just as it was starting to rain!

woodfard_after.jpgwoodford_before.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast