Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Where do I start looking for tenders?

Default Where do I start looking for tenders?

Ok, I understand that submitting a tender I'd an involved process. But where do I look to find where company's / organisations place there expressions of interest? Papers , government gazettes, where do I start looking?
    Thanks,
    Dave.

Default Re: Where do I start looking for tenders?

local councils for starters....

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Register with something like this. This is in SA but pretty sure most states would have something similar https://www.tenders.sa.gov.au/tenders/index.do
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Thanks you. I appreciate the help.

Www.tenders.nsw.gov.au if memory serves me right
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

https://tenders.nsw.gov.au/
    http://www.dec.nsw.gov.au/about-us/s...g-for-business
    http://www.urbangrowthnsw.com.au/etender/
    https://www.dha.gov.au/partnering/tenders

They are a few of the free ones to get you started. I don't mean to discourage but having only just started in the business you are a long long way off tendering for government work. The amount of work and infrastructure that you need to have in place is huge. You may be able to pick up some subcontract work but still there is a fair bit needed to work with bigger companies.

Please feel free to contact me via a personal message and I would be happy to walk you through the tendering process, what's involved, what requirements you need to meet and what to expect. We have done this many times now, some applications were successful some weren't.

Ludrock, forget about tenders until you know a lot more about the business. I see in another post your just starting etc and dont have your costs etc down yet! That basic info is imperative before you even start thinking about Tendering!
    Small steps buddy!

Ooops, just read Brodies post! I'll second what he said!

I looked into tenders, then walked away. I have been in the business now for about 2yrs and I still dont believe I have what it takes to go down that track. You need to do so much for so little in the end, and tenders dont last for ever either.

Stick with residential or commercial properties, get references from as many clients as possible and work your portfolio. Take before and after pictures of all your jobs (for security reasons as well) and get a consistent work flow coming.

If you dont have any qualifications eg. Horticulture, White Card, Blue Card, Landscaping or similar look into that as well. Helps with tenders when you start looking in to them.
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

Thanks everyone. I have quickly realised that before and after photos are essential, as is a photo portfolio.
    Dave.

Government tenders of any sort, local councils, government departments etc I'll never touch. I've looked into them in the past and they are only interested in price it seems, cheapest always wins. Last tender I looked at was for 8 hours a week gardening work for Lane Cove council at various places. The winner was $30 an hour, absolute joke.

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by m287j View Post
    Government tenders of any sort, local councils, government departments etc I'll never touch. I've looked into them in the past and they are only interested in price it seems, cheapest always wins. Last tender I looked at was for 8 hours a week gardening work for Lane Cove council at various places. The winner was $30 an hour, absolute joke.
    That is a joke. How does anyone or company make money with that rate. Maybe a company with govt assisted employees but then they need an on site supervisor.

Quote Originally Posted by m287j View Post

Devils advocate for a minute.
    It would be possible for a medium to large business to make money on this one. It's a scale of numbers excercise but for a contract the requires 8 hours a week that's 2 labourers for 4 hours, that's contract done and back to regular work. These tenders are also usually on a man hour rate so that's a $60 job, $22.50 per labourer and you just made $15.

I know it's not a big margin and doesn't account for any equipment but the point is that you can make money with these contracts. Important to note that these days tenders often require prior experience so larger organisation will sometimes use a smaller contract to get experience and reputation.

Brodie is right...comes down to volume for the big boys. I used to have a bit to do with citywide and that's how we operated. Enough work at small margin is an easy way to make big dollars. But you are competing with companies like citywide with hundreds of employees and millions of dollars worth of plant etc. Also alot of contracts you will need to pay a security deposit which alone can be 5-6 figures that they can take from every time you fall short on contract delivery etc.
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by brodie View Post
    Devils advocate for a minute.
    It would be possible for a medium to large business to make money on this one. It's a scale of numbers excercise but for a contract the requires 8 hours a week that's 2 labourers for 4 hours, that's contract done and back to regular work. These tenders are also usually on a man hour rate so that's a $60 job, $22.50 per labourer and you just made $15.

I know it's not a big margin and doesn't account for any equipment but the point is that you can make money with these contracts. Important to note that these days tenders often require prior experience so larger organisation will sometimes use a smaller contract to get experience and reputation.
    $30 an hour is good money if the company doesn't turn up and collects the money regardless. That's a $30 profit per hour. Maybe even $5 kickback to the geezer who does the tenders and bobs your uncle. Purely hypothetical of course.