Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Maintenance Schedules

Default Maintenance Schedules

Hi guys,

Just looking to see what others equipment maintenance schedules are like on your machines?

As I'm still only part time, I typically change oil, check filters etc monthly and blades bi-monthly. Do you think this is a enough to keep the machines running long term?

Default Re: Maintenance Schedules

Manufacturers usually recommend oil, filter services etc on an hours used (or periodic basis based on 'typical' use -- whatever that may mean).
    Some equipment comes with an hour meter as standard - easy.
    If it does not have one, why not fit one either permanently or temporarily to get a proper measure of your useage.
    They can be obtained evilBay and the like for under $15 or so, are small, lightweight, self powered, simple connection (just wrap a wire around sparkplug lead) and offer additional functions such as rev counter and warning of set maintenance interval being reached). Will work with 2 or 4 stroke motors.
    Just mount with some doubled sided tape for a temporary fit.

Eg.
    http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/181606214693

Worth considering.

Joe

x2 on Joes comments ...my mowers and anything else big enough (ie pressure washer) all have hour meters on them ...also good if they fark out prior to warranty for proof as long as your service records reflect lol only my ZTR gets any SPECIAL attention above and beyond the norm, once a year it gets a complete work over top to bottom just prior to spring
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by tradam View Post
    Hi guys,

Just looking to see what others equipment maintenance schedules are like on your machines?

As I'm still only part time, I typically change oil, check filters etc monthly and blades bi-monthly. Do you think this is a enough to keep the machines running long term?

That's what I do, with the blades I'll just check em every now and then especially if the cut aint great. With filters, it depends on the machine, the cox ride on needs the filter tapped cleaned every day in dusty conditions. I tend to get to know the machine if that makes sense. An hour meter on the ride on would be handy for me rather than guessing.

Hi guys,

Not a big believer in hour meters - they don't compensate for variations in operating conditions. (plus the electric ones are pre destined to fail)

I go by the blades, = when you change the blades it's time for an oil change. Clean the filter and give it a look over for problems at the same time.
    Mostly you will feel or hear when a bit of gear isn't "right", chuggy and black smoke = clogged filter. Not catching properly or vibrating = blades shot.
    Hard to start = plug or fuel problems, or if the cord pulls too easy it could be the motor is worn out/low compression.

Getting to know your gear will save you big $$$

Farmer's logic = "if it aint broke - don't fix it"
    "Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
    If someone says "Can't" , take the "T" off the end and brew it.
    Sip on a mugfull, relax, and take a look at what you've got left to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfa Brayne View Post
    Not a big believer in hour meters - they don't compensate for variations in operating conditions. (plus the electric ones are pre destined to fail)

I go by the blades, = when you change the blades it's time for an oil change. Clean the filter and give it a look over for problems at the same time.
    Mostly you will feel or hear when a bit of gear isn't "right", chuggy and black smoke = clogged filter. Not catching properly or vibrating = blades shot.
    Hard to start = plug or fuel problems, or if the cord pulls too easy it could be the motor is worn out/low compression.

Getting to know your gear will save you big $$$

Farmer's logic = "if it aint broke - don't fix it"

With that method I'd be changing the oil every week.

We change blades on the zero's every day for a sharp set
    Push mowers get changed weekly for a sharp set ( we don't use them a lot)
    Oil change monthly for everything
    Oil filters every two months
    Air filters cleaned weekly replaced every two months
    Fuel filters very 6 months

Hour meters on everything

Hi guys,

sounds fine for a part time operation.

Use good oil "Nulon Semi Synthetic 10W-30 Hi-Tech Fast Flowing Engine Oil" it comes on special at AutoBarn 50% I stock up for the year.

I put 2 stroke oil in the fuel for my 4 stroke machines "Echo Power Blend @ 100:1" in my 4 stroke machines, the Honda's and the Rideon. the older Honda runs noticeably smoother with the oil in the fuel.

Anyone know the procedure to check the valve clearance on the Sthil magnum backpack blower? I'd take it to a dealer but I just don't want the downtime, is it possible to do it yourself, any special tools? It's been over2 years since I have had the maching and it's never been checked. The other thing I'd like to know what is the best way to clean the dirt out of a the bottom of the fuel tank of a hand held machine? Also what other maintenance is required for a Rover pro cut 50 other than air filter, oil change,blades plugs etc. is there anything else to clean, lube, check that is not in the owner manual.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    Anyone know the procedure to check the valve clearance on the Sthil magnum backpack blower? I'd take it to a dealer but I just don't want the downtime, is it possible to do it yourself, any special tools? It's been over2 years since I have had the machine and it's never been checked. The other thing I'd like to know what is the best way to clean the dirt out of a the bottom of the fuel tank of a hand held machine? Also what other maintenance is required for a Rover pro cut 50 other than air filter, oil change,blades plugs etc. is there anything else to clean, lube, check that is not in the owner manual.

Here is the method
    Credit to (Posted by Lakeside 52 on arborsite.com website in /br600-ipl-service-manual thread)

The process is very simple.... and whether you do it at exactly 100 hours is of no concern. Most I see have may time that hours and have never been adjusted. Run synthetic mix and you may never need to (well......).
    Remove the 4 back screws, and the three recoil screws. Pull off back and recoil.
    Remove the single screw that holds the valve cover on. Rotate the flywheel to TDC on the compression stroke. Insert feeler and adjust the nut on the top of each rocker arm until you can feel friction. Reassemble.
    If you have carboned valves from running crappy mix, you need to de-carbon (actually, de-calcify...) with edta solution first, and with great care.... However...100 hours it's not an issue..
    You will need the stihl feel gauge - about 50 cents, but it has a specific tiny end that fits into the tappet area.

Here is the official Stihl method
    BR600 Valve adjust_1.jpgBR600 Valve adjust_2.jpg

PM me re the full BR600 mtce manual

Joe

you can cut a standard 4 thou feeler guage to shape if you dont want to buy the stihl one, always replace the valve cover gasket as a leak here will mess up the fuel ratios and make it run rough.

John
    South Coast Mowing & Gardening Services
    www.southcoastmowing.com

I clean the crap out of my fuel tanks this way. Empty fuel tank. Remove fuel line/s. Flush with water till clean. Flush with methylated spirits. Leave to dry if you want. Re install fuel line/s and away you go!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info on valve adjustment procedure and cleaning fuel tanks. In answer to my own question about rover pro cut servicing I had a look at the owner manual and it is quite detailed and everything I need is in there. The extra things needed are lubricate drive pawls, lubricate drive chain, check and adjust drive chain and drive belt. Clean around drive belt. Also adjust drive cable. Bit more maintenance than Honda HRU217 which doesn't need any of this.