Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Public Relations (PR) Strategies

Hybrid View

Default Public Relations (PR) Strategies

Hi all,

Its becoming more and more relevant these days that we need to find new and interesting ways to market our business and brands. Over the recent weeks I have been working with many different people in relation to the way we are going to be moving froward with marketing as a business. We have found that there is a common message coming through from all the people we are talking to, that message is PR.

We are being asked what PR strategies we do now, what strategies can we put in place and how we are going to keep a constant PR message in the public eye.

So my question to everyone is this;

1. Do you have a PR stratergy?
    2. Do you think having a PR stratergy is important?
    3. If you have a stratergy what sort of things are you doing?

I know the last may be contentious as its not always a topic that people want to share but I encourage you to share even if its only the basics. We are all here to learn and where better than an industry forum.

Default Re: Public Relations (PR) Strategies

Simple, do a good job and do as you say you do and the PR takes care of itself.
    Why over complicate things, keep it simple stupid KISS.

Good reviews is one thing and does form part of a PR strategy but what makes you stand out from the hundreds of other guys mowing lawns. How do people know that you have good customer reviews, or that your are a trusted professional. How does the general public know that you have years of industry experience and your not just some guy with a mower.

Ive seen tradies Place some info on their truck signs. i.e. 10 years exp.
    and as a review " We used Mick to bring our lawn back to life!" Bill & Marg....
    Or have "Servicing the Highlands schools for 10 years"
    Also Yellow pages free listing is linked to your personal mini web page which has reviews.
    Depending on the key market customers... Internet is 90% for me. so websites and word of mouth is key

Quote Originally Posted by brodie View Post
    Good reviews is one thing and does form part of a PR strategy but what makes you stand out from the hundreds of other guys mowing lawns. How do people know that you have good customer reviews, or that your are a trusted professional. How does the general public know that you have years of industry experience and your not just some guy with a mower.
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

I recently received a letter to join the local Chamber of Commerce... I'm contemplating joining to get my name out there to other local businesses... also think it could help with connections for more jobs etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tradam View Post
    I recently received a letter to join the local Chamber of Commerce... I'm contemplating joining to get my name out there to other local businesses... also think it could help with connections for more jobs etc.
    I signed up for a trial with our local COC (pun intended) and the only thing it got me was endless emails and phone calls from every marketing business in town looking to 'help' me. At a massive cost of course.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    I signed up for a trial with our local COC (pun intended) and the only thing it got me was endless emails and phone calls from every marketing business in town looking to 'help' me. At a massive cost of course.
    x2. WTF is the point of most of those sort of people. I went to see a small business advisory type mob when I was thinking of starting up. His advice was, it'll never work, it'll take you years to form the required business contacts etc etc. I started up anyway and never looked back. The rest of the time they just send you emails on seminars or courses which are totally irrelavant. They are obviously getting paid from the taxpayer purse.

woops wrong thread, where is that grumpy thread. Too much posting makes me grumpy.

I have PR strategies in place:
    Same applies to any industry-
    I believe Presentation i.e. uniforms, signage, safety PPE, equipment and being tidy looking. is a must- as we learned in our marketing, ( Placing yourself in the customers seat - what would you be looking for in a lawn/ gardener contractor)
    Not a good look to see a lawn mowing guy turn up in an old dump, mowing your lawn with a smoke hanging out his mouth and the mower blowing smoke everywhere.
    People skills is a must in any business. getting back to calls / emails and text messages. Im amazed at who many people say thank you for getting back to them.
    Managing a professional communication with clients and if so, your staff.
    I client always likes to see what they asked for has been done completed.

Then of course , the mowing and clean up.
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ