Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bananna plants

Default Re: Bananna plants

Blackberry seeds will remain viable in the ground for 6-7 yrs. When I was a kid they were rampant on the station we lived on. We used to pick them and sell them to blokes who used to come around and buy them. Used big old square kero drums made into a bucket over the shoulder. They got so bad on the station they had to use aerial spraying to get rid of them on some hills were you couldn't get in. If a fire goes over the site of an old bush you will have heaps of new ones next year.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Blackberry seeds will remain viable in the ground for 6-7 yrs. When I was a kid they were rampant on the station we lived on. We used to pick them and sell them to blokes who used to come around and buy them. Used big old square kero drums made into a bucket over the shoulder. They got so bad on the station they had to use aerial spraying to get rid of them on some hills were you couldn't get in. If a fire goes over the site of an old bush you will have heaps of new ones next year.
    Goats are very effective blackberry control agents in broadacre situations provided you can keep them under control and not become a feral problem.
    In small block situations, tethered goats can do a good job, but they have a habit of eating anything & everything -- especially the things you want!
    Amazing that they can handle the blackberry spines the way they do.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I bet you would have come across a few joe blakes Bluey?
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

Thanks Joe, I get the feeling what you don't know about weed spraying aint worth knowing. I have included a respray in the job so that info is really appreciated. I used Tree and Blackberry killer from bunnings, there was no mention of basal application from memory, there was a cut stump method but there were so many tiny stumps it would have took forever and I would have missed some for sure. I'll take the garlon next time so I'll have a few tricks up the sleeve. Surprised it only takes 24hrs for the plant to show effects. Bloody amazing that goats can digest those thorns, copped a few thorns in the palms of the hand and i reckon they have some poison in them judging by the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    . ..... I have included a respray in the job so that info is really appreciated. I used Tree and Blackberry killer from bunnings, there was no mention of basal application from memory, there was a cut stump method but there were so many tiny stumps it would have took forever and I would have missed some for sure. I'll take the garlon next time so I'll have a few tricks up the sleeve. Surprised it only takes 24hrs for the plant to show effects.

.... copped a few thorns in the palms of the hand and i reckon they have some poison in them judging by the pain.
    The active ingredient in Garlon 600 is triclopyr 600gm/litre.
    I think you will find Yates/bunnings Tree and Brush Killer will contain the same active ingredient - triclopyr (check label) but at a much lower concentration (50gm/litre).
    So Garlon 600 is 12x the concentration but NOT 12x the price!

The mix rate for Garlon is
    10mls Garlon to 600ml diesel. (1 : 60). See the Garlon label under 'basal bark / cut stump treatment).
    You should be able to scale the Bunnings stuff accordingly. ( 1:5 would be the rate)
    Starane is mixed similarly to Garlon --- see label for mix rates.
    When I say you can see effects in 24 hrs --- not dead obviously, but you will see all the growing tips drooping/curling in a very clearly identifiable way that is characteristic of these herbicides.

Yes, there is a 'poison' tip on the thorns and unless you dig themout they hurt like he'll and get inflamed and take ages to heal.

My favorite remedy is a 'medicine / remedy' called Bates Salve which a drop or so of yhe black stuff is used under a bandaid or the like.
    Unfortunately it was pulled from the market many years ago (70's) for 'safety reasons', but maybe understandably, as more recently I saw a wrapper from it and it said 'contains 30% lead oxide'!
    I still have a little of the 'treasure' my sister & I salvaged from my parents when they passed on 30 odd years ago.
    To me it's magic stuff and hasn't killed me yet .....

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by AJD Mowing View Post
    I bet you would have come across a few joe blakes Bluey?
    Yeah your right mate. One or two
    Cheers

Bluey

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

On that I will start a new thread. Feel free to contibute
    Cheers

Bluey

The mix rate for Garlon is
    10mls Garlon to 600ml diesel. (1 : 60). See the Garlon label under 'basal bark / cut stump treatment).
    You should be able to scale the Bunnings stuff accordingly. ( 1:5 would be the rate)
    Starane is mixed similarly to Garlon --- see label for mix rates.

Thanks Joe, i don't have Garlon, turns out I have Grazon extra (300g/L Triclopyr). But there is no instruction on the label for cut stump method or basal bark method. Yates Tree and blackberry killer 50g/L Triclopyr and can be mixed with Kero. No metion of mixing YTBK with diesel either.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    ...... i don't have Garlon, turns out I have Grazon extra (300g/L Triclopyr). But there is no instruction on the label for cut stump method or basal bark method. Yates Tree and blackberry killer 50g/L Triclopyr and can be mixed with Kero. No metion of mixing YTBK with diesel either.
    Look at the label for Grazon extra ...
    It contains the active ingredients Triclopyr, Picloram and Aminopyralid
    The instructions also explicitly state 'mix with water only'

Reason: more than likely some of the other compounds are not miscible/soluble in diesel or kero.

For practical purposes, would think that diesel or kero are interchangeable for this purposes as they are relatively similar chemically. The home use one would prob say kero because how many householders have access to small quantities of diesel.

Anyway, read and follow the label

Joe

Just thought I'd hijack my own thread!bought a cheap machette.cut through 6m banana trees like butter,cleaned up the roots with a mattock.great way to keep warm on these cool mornings..

Quote Originally Posted by seliment View Post
    Look at the label for Grazon extra ...
    It contains the active ingredients Triclopyr, Picloram and Aminopyralid
    The instructions also explicitly state 'mix with water only'

Reason: more than likely some of the other compounds are not miscible/soluble in diesel or kero.

For practical purposes, would think that diesel or kero are interchangeable for this purposes as they are relatively similar chemically. The home use one would prob say kero because how many householders have access to small quantities of diesel.

Anyway, read and follow the label

Joe

yeah, bit annoyed there is no mention of cut stump or basal bark method even using it straight. I suppose it's just designed to use in a spray. I really do need to find a good herbicide supplier.

I cut down a neglected banana tree today. Was probably 20-25 larger trunks(150-300mm diam) and a few small shoots. 1.1 ton went to the tip.

I cut it all off as short as possible and now the root ball is about 2m in diameter.

Wondering if the root ball would be easier to break up & remove if I left it for a month or 2 to dry out, or better to attack it now? Or will it die & break down itself in time?

Still have another one to do yet.

There was some disease going around a year or so ago and the DPI letter box dropped my area. There are banana farms around here.
    Anyway, if there was any sign of this disease we were to drill into the root ball and inject with Round Up to kill the plant.
    I guess what Im saying is you may be better off just poisoning the rootball rather than trying to dig it all up. Be a hell of a job I reckon!

Thanks Mick. I might give that a go. All of the water oozing out of the stumps put me off that idea, but should be ok in a few days. I did that with some cycads & it worked well.

Wasn't looking forward to digging them out

Mate, I haven't done it and not sure if it works but its worth a crack! Ive drilled and injected trees before and RU killed them so can see it working with the bananas.
    Besides, it was recommended in the leaflet!
    Id probably inject into asap while its still healthy. No point injecting into dry dead areas. Injet into any new shoots as well!
    Bugger digging it out!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12