Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Dual cab 4x4 ute review by A to Z Gardening Services.

Default Dual cab 4x4 ute review by A to Z Gardening Services.

Hi everyone, as you may or may not be aware i've been looking at 4wd dual cab utes as an upgrade for the next work vehicle. Work is primary lawn and garden maintenance , towing a trailer weighing in around 1000kg 5 to 6 days a week. I needed the dual cab to carry extra staff when needed and also for family duties when required. I had a 2010 VE commodore ute which as you'll see from the review below just wasn't up to the task at hand.

I will put the reviews of each model i tested into a different post feel free to ad your opinion and experiences with any of the models mentioned.

All utes were dual cab diesel 4x4's, most were either mid spec or high spec models.

Your needs and wants may be different to mine and as such you will need to form your own decision before making any purchase.

Default Re: Dual cab 4x4 ute review by A to Z Gardening Services.

Ford Ranger XLT

Pro's- to my eyes the best looker of the bunch, brilliant ride and handling, powerful engine with a useful spread of torque across a wide range of rpm's, towing capacity, 5 star safety.

Con's- expensive, not as fuel efficient as some others, reliability question marks- transmission and turbo problems is what i'm hearing from those in the trade, the tub at the back is high for someone like myself who is hobbit sized, that raises some issues (foot stool anyone), big to park.

This is the one i would have went for if not for the question marks over it's reliability. It's a great ute to drive, it really is and the engine has plenty of power. I'd be interested if anyone is running one of these and can keep us informed as to whether they have had a good run or not.

Toyota Hilux SR5

Pro's- reliability, durability, unbreakable reputation, resale, looks, spacious interior, infotainment system, 5 star safety rating

Con's- diesel noise at idle, driving dynamics a step behind Ranger and Amarok, slow off the mark compared to Ranger and BT50, big to park, small glovebox, smallest towing capacity but having said that i do know someone who is an engineer who says that Toyota under quoted the towing figure in the name of durabilty, was towing 3 tonne during testing according to my source, tub too high for someone hobbit height.
    It's the one i went for in the end. Unbreakable reputation was more important in the end than the power and handling of the Ranger.

Colorado LTZ

Pro's- infotainment system is a ripper, lot's of standard gear for the money, roomy, 5 star safety

Con's- poor interior quality, lacking refinement, ride and handling average, big to park, tub too high for some which makes getting stuff in and out a pain.

Not one i spent much time on to be honest. After what i was served up with the VE, the General wasn't high on my list. A customer has 3 in his work fleet so i should be able to get good feedback on reliability etc.

Mazda BT50 XTR

Pro's- powerful torque filled engine, handling, value for money, roomy, 5 star safety, huge tow rating.

Con's- fidgety firm ride, some turbo lag from standstill, ugly front end (you can fix the looks with a bullbar and some nice wheels, see mazda's adventure pack for an example), big to park.

I was keen on these too until i test drove a couple. The first was stuck in 2nd gear (auto) and the second was shunting into gear. Did some research and found auto trans issues are not uncommon. Turbo issues too!!!

Triton GLX-R

The new model wasn't out so this is for the old model which i'm told will sell along side the new one at least till the end of the year.

Pro's- reliability (having said that check issues on cracked chassis if towing something heavy), price, price, price, roomy interior, 5 year warranty

Con's- old and it feels it, boat like steering and driving dynamics, lacks refinement, noisy diesel, turbo lag, poor safety rating compared to others.

This one is tempting as they are cheap, in some cases as much as $10,000 cheaper depending on which of the opposition you are comparing it to. In the end even though my Nephew was selling them at the time and i could have got a bargain some of the con's mentioned above were just too much for me. The new model might right some of the issues that this one has.

Amarok Highline

Pro's- refined, car like ride, almost class leading driving dynamics (just behind the Ranger), 8 speed auto, nice looking, 5 star safety.

Con's- reliability problems, long wait for parts if something does go wrong, big too park, tub too high, small engine working hard in a heavy car which doesn't bode well for long term reliability.

Really nice ute but............too many horror stories regarding them being unreliable, they look great, drive great but...........

Navara D40 ST

About to be replaced. New one looks good but i'm not keen on buying the first model of any brand. I'd rather they iron out the bugs on someone else. Not sure if they'll sell this one along side the new one like they did previously.

Pro's- roomy cabin, decent ride and handling, powerful v6 diesel

Con's- spongy brakes on the one i tested, reliability issues from the ones built in Spain, head office has publicly apologised for it, issues with the 2.5l, safety rating below par compared to others mentioned.

Never look at to too hard due to the poor safety rating and the reliability issues. Shame because i'm a big Nissan fan usually.

Isuzu D-Max LS-U

Pro's- proven engine and auto drive train, decent towing capacity, 5 year warranty, 5 star safety, reliability (has a great reputation), decent ride and handling, easy to park compared to others here, decent value when they have there specials on.

Con's- interior not that flash, same tub issues as the others due to height, very slight turbo lag off the mark, limited dealers in some areas.

I really liked this ute too, don't think you'd go wrong with this one. In the end it was between this and the Hilux for me.

I ended up with the Hilux SR5 4x4 auto i will keep you updated on it's progress.

I'm still not convinced the CRD's are the best choice for long term use as the injectors seem to be an issue with most makes.

If you are after a vehicle that can tow that's fuel efficient there isn't too many other choices in the new stuff.

I had a commodore ute factory dual fuel (see review below) and i thought about a straight gas falcon but in the end i needed the ability to carry more so the dual cab was the go. The fuel economy of the petrol ones when towing was an issue for me which is why i went diesel.

Be interesting to see how reliable the CRD turns out to be.

Feel free to add your own opinions of the ones reviewed.

For those that are interested the review for my VE is below.

VE Commodore Omega Ute, factory duel fuel

Pro's- fuel wise cheap to run, very cheap and the gas systems of today have none of the problems of yesteryear, powerful with heaps of torque, handling and ride superb, comfortable, ute tub low and quite large, gas tank incorporated within ute liner so not much loss of space, good looking, 5 star safety.

Con's- mine was unreliable, lost 2nd gear in the auto trans around 70,000k's, alternator at 80,000k's, steering wheel fell apart at the top of the rim at 70,000k's, seat side fell off, rear suspension sagged, parts and servicing not cheap, not a work ute, more a sports car with a ute body attached.

Disappointed the VE started falling to bits as it is a nice car to drive. You can pick them up cheap secondhand and they'd be worth the punt if you don't tow heavy or have much of a load in the back but i'd still be weary, falcon straight gas might be a better secondhand bet if the Aussie utes are your thing.

Good reviews mate.

We have been using a 2010 Triton GLX-R turbo diesel for about a year now as we need a 4WD ute for the steep driveways we have around our area. If you're 6' or over though leg & arm room is terrible in the front & back seats. We also found that the large overhang of the tray from the rear wheels causes bottoming out on dips/steep hills when towing (not really an issue on flat ground though). Other than that it's been a good ute, never had an issue - good fuel economy when towing. If anyone is buying a second hand one of that model check that it has been returned to dealer as they had a recall late last year on the cooling system.

Before the Triton we were using a VE SS Commodore. No problems with towing, plenty of power. No issues with reliability either, just very limited to where we could go in our area. Lots of fun to drive though

Great reading. How long did it take you to test drive them all?

I love my diesel dual cab and am sure you will love yours too. They are built for work, play and towing.

I have 2 x BT 50s. The old 2006 model and also a 2013 one. love them both.
    Also need the 4wd on my own driveway when it's raining

What about a Great Wall or a Mahindra? Nah, just joking.

Quote Originally Posted by troppo View Post
    What about a Great Wall or a Mahindra? Nah, just joking.
    Or Tata?

Quote Originally Posted by 4 Gardens View Post
    Great reading. How long did it take you to test drive them all?

I love my diesel dual cab and am sure you will love yours too. They are built for work, play and towing.

I have 2 x BT 50s. The old 2006 model and also a 2013 one. love them both.
    Also need the 4wd on my own driveway when it's raining
    Test driving was over a 6 mth period approximately.

I'm lucky that i have a few connections within the car industry so i got to have an extended run with some of the ones i tested.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast