Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: kubota zg 227 ztr

Default kubota zg 227 ztr

Kubota zg227. Does anyone own one of these or know much about them. Has a 54 inch deck, 27 hp petrol engine - assume a Kubota petrol engine (I know Kubota diesels are bullet proof, don't know a lot about the petrol motors) I think they run a pto instead of belts (is that better or just more expensive) Have always had respect for Kubota gear (have serviced them in a previous life) and this would suit what I need pretty well.

Default Re: kubota zg 227 ztr

Never assume on engines. Had a CAT excavator in the mini range, assumed it was a CAT engine. Certainly wasn't.

PTO tends to be better running gear, more heavy duty but does encourage you to go into some tougher mowing conditions. Look after the machine and it will look after you.

I have a Kubota ZG222 - 20hp petrol / zero steer / 48 inch deck. All I can say is absolutely brilliant - other than blade replacements / sharpens and oil & filters - no probs in 2 yrs of ownership. Can not fault the cut either - I am happy with the result each time and so is the client. Cheers. Bruce

Yeah thanks Gams I have had a bit to do with service work on Kubota gear over the years but not a lot to do with petrol mowers The attraction is the bigger deck (have a Hustler with a 42 deck) and the only thing I was doubtful on was how a 27hp motor would handle a 54 inch deck Going for a look if I can arrange it in the next couple of days, a good test run and if any good then the bargaining begins...

The 227 was a roughie unfortunately - looking at a new one atm, also don't mind the Z125S, for a supposed domestic mower they look bulletproof and good price too...

Quote Originally Posted by head1956 View Post
    The 227 was a roughie unfortunately - looking at a new one atm, also don't mind the Z125S, for a supposed domestic mower they look bulletproof and good price too...
    Kubotas are our main mowers we have 331s and 222 zg both bullet proof the 227 has plenty of power for a 54 inch just keep them serviced cause they will destroy your bank balance if you have to repair major components that fail cause of lack of maintenance, we have been in this business for a long time and this might seem a little odd but with larger machinery go with diesel spend the money you WILL save in the long run

Quote Originally Posted by warren higgins View Post
    this might seem a little odd but with larger machinery go with diesel spend the money you WILL save in the long run
    Why or how is that? Fuel costs? Whats a Kubota 326 worth now? Are the 331's still available, if so, what are they worth?

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Why or how is that? Fuel costs? Whats a Kubota 326 worth now? Are the 331's still available, if so, what are they worth?
    Why? build quality ,diesel cheaper to run to .also generally get a lot more hrs out of motor 331s are still selling were buying another one through winter about 25000 if I can remember the current price, iseki are worth looking at to although a little on the large size in tight areas

Quote Originally Posted by warren higgins View Post
    Why? build quality ,diesel cheaper to run to .also generally get a lot more hrs out of motor 331s are still selling were buying another one through winter about 25000 if I can remember the current price, iseki are worth looking at to although a little on the large size in tight areas
    I agree that you will use less fuel with diesel, but that fuel usage gap is closing! Big Block efi/dfi are starting to show up!

The mower we buy will be used home / customers about 40 / 60 split and will run up only 200 odd hours a year. We mow about 8 acres at home with a Hustler 42" and it does it well , the whole reason for a new mower is a bigger deck and cutting down mowing time at home. The couple of days a week away from here is only on what I chooses to do because there is a good demand so no need to do the roughies so mower will be looked after. Spent a lot of time servicing Kubota diesels and know just how good they are but whether they are a necessity for this application I don't know yet. Going away for 3 weeks R&R and looking at the situation again when we get back. Good time to purchase in winter because they are looking for sales - only looking at spending a around half your budget..

Quote Originally Posted by head1956 View Post
    Kubota zg227. Does anyone own one of these or know much about them. Has a 54 inch deck, 27 hp petrol engine - assume a Kubota petrol engine (I know Kubota diesels are bullet proof, don't know a lot about the petrol motors) I think they run a pto instead of belts (is that better or just more expensive) Have always had respect for Kubota gear (have serviced them in a previous life) and this would suit what I need pretty well.
    Hi owned one of these shaft drive and deck seemed to be best of zero turns to me! Great finance deals
    however I do a lot of long stuff and petrol engines bog down to much if you can afford diesel go for it would not recommend for long stuff

Hi owned one of these shaft drive and deck seemed to be best of zero turns to me! Great finance deals
    however I do a lot of long stuff and petrol engines bog down to much if you can afford diesel go for it would not recommend for long stuff