Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storage

Default Storage

Hi guys and gals, Just wanted to get some opinions,
    Im really starting to accumulate some gear and im running out of room at home and im looking to buy more gear next season, And too be honest im sick of all the clutter at home with all the lawn equipment and tools and oils and spare parts etc,
    im thinking to rent a storage space enough room for my trailer and a little work station so i can service my equipment and store my tools. to me it seams really practical i have gotten a few quotes and for a few hundred bucks a month it may be worth the investment not to mention makes the mrs happy all the gear is away from the house.
    the way im going to work it is wake up in the morning go the the rental space pick the trailer up load it and go do my work for the day, then drop the gear back of to the rental space then drive home in the van..on the weekends go and do my servicing etc...
    what are your opinions??
    Steve

Default Re: Storage

Good idea, tax deductable, but their more than $200 month for a 6x3 I think.

Your location profile says, Location: Sydney, Inner West.
    So you may not be on a fair sized block to put up a shed at home. I operate with a 6X9X2.7mtr fully powered heated & air con shed at the rear of the backyard which is tops.

You need something to assist with the gear and servicing without question, but just make sure the Mrs Greenie would be happy with you not being home when your at the hired shed. Plus may need to factor in that these hired sheds often get broken into.
    Cheers Garry

You might be able to rent a double garbage off someone. Some pensioners that don't drive would be happy with the money. You might have a customer or 2 that fits the bill if you think about it?
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

I have thought about the same thing, don't have any more room at home and can't out up a extra garage as block too steep.

The reasons why I don't want to
    Extra cost
    Extra time away from home
    Possible theft etc

Only issue is ,,,, the thieves watch you enter and exit and they can see what you got.
    I once stored all my house goods with Kennards storage... It was all stolen. And they said they never knew....even tho they did Security rounds....
    I wouldnt trust a storage place dude.
    Hire a shipping container
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

i do hire with Kennards and paying $160 per month for 3 x 3 mtr

To park my trailer and have room to move with our local will cost about $460/month as I have a 10x5 not including the long draw bar. Just fits in to a normal garage with no room to spare at the roller door
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

What about contacting a complex like a factory who has a security system etc. see if they have a space you could rent off them
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Could some of that rental money be spent on re-organising your storage space at home maybe? New shelving etc. Something I been meaning to do for years but never do. I accumulate stuff quicker than i can build shelves. I'd buy the shelves then have no-where to store them :-)

Most storage units won't allow for you to use the space as a workshop and could never be set up for that use. There is no power, water, or air so you are going to be severely limited in what servicing you do. It's going to be doubling up all your tools or traveling back and forth every time you need a tool at home.

If you are going to do something like this then it should be done properly from the start.

If you can't afford the rent of a larger space why not ask other lawn guys around you that you know well, share the space and the rent. You have the ability to set up a proper work shop. If not a lawn guy maybe a tree guy or some one like that. Someone with similar needs

I reckon Dean has the best idea. Find a pensioner who has room to spare in a shed and hire it off him. I am sure it would be cheaper than $460 a month. Get the right bloke he could even do some maintenance for you on your gear. Pay him cash and I reckon he would love it.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

^^ yep this, near neighbours for preference

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Yeah $460 is more than what I am willing to pay thats for sure. And as said above there is no power to run the compressor etc.
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

I think this wold be a winner Greenie, the only drawback I could see is if the old guy/girl suddenly died and you couldn't get your gear back, on the plus for everyone else, it would be a great garage sale to go to

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I reckon Dean has the best idea. Find a pensioner who has room to spare in a shed and hire it off him. I am sure it would be cheaper than $460 a month. Get the right bloke he could even do some maintenance for you on your gear. Pay him cash and I reckon he would love it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast