Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Victa mulchmaster 560 gearbox swap

Default Re: Victa mulchmaster 560 gearbox swap

Hi Garry. My clutch lever is much the same as the old one except it is plastic. It sits roughly in the same place.
    The old cable with the spring at the end fit straight on & the outer casing sat in the retainer same as the old one did. Had to take the bash plate off again to allow some movement in the gearbox to give me room to get the spring onto the lever, but other than that no problems.

I don't think I'd get a photo of the cable attachment now as it's under the pulley & tucked away in the corner. Here's a pic I took before fitting. Top arrow points to the outer cable retainer & bottom arrow is the hole that the cable spring fits into.

IMG_20190702_134226 (2)_LIrs.jpg

Thanks for that, the photos shows all that's needed. I've pm you so I can get them on my email then to ipad to show dealer tomorrow.

Mine is a completely different set up from the black case body side shape, underneath and 200% different cable hook area. Even the dealer and shop mechanics had no idea when I took the mower in with new gearbox installed.

It annoys me, how many different variations are out there and mine is not compatible re cable hook up or depth of lower casing to some degree.
    Plus the crap time wasting mucking around with one does, like hooking up the trailer, loading the mower and travelling to the shop and back.

Edit, Thanks ED B, well Victa/B&S it now appears have two part numbers and two different gearbox designs out there for a 560 mulchmaster. Having the the complete axle/G Box unit with the last 1 digit different for each even with 560 on the part sticker .
    One mirrors the old design for fitment but is a new design, the other is what I have.
    Cheers Garry

did a belt today....mine doesn't have that spring, was bought early this year

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

If you have the gearbox with the flat bottom and square design as ED B has posted having either the older shinny alloy lever topped or new black plastic type topped lever unit.
    Then it should have a spring installed which goes across at a 45 deg angle. Its assists with belt torque and sideway torque movement and further extendeds belt life. The mechanic also agreed/said today on that point as the unit will have space to move/rotate as it doesn't touch the base plate.

B/Strat are delivering 2 types of gearboxs even when the correct part numbers are ordered.
    Mine was ordered as
    CH86937AW
    560 REAR AXLE S-P FULL ASSY

Thats all on the sticker of the part.

But I get this new type part as explained yesterday which is not backward compatible. Even the dealer today was at a loss and l had to leave the old cable & gearbox to show the difference in the two so they could ring B/Strat. For a Pauline Hanson "Please Explain"
    Dealer mechanic agreed the new bulkly gearbox jammed against the bash plate was no good even with thick spacers fitted to lower the base plate.

It would now appear the china made 560 has a new design with a much different new cable connection and the design must have a new bash plate that's further recessed in the manu pressing of the base plate to allow the bulkier G/Box to fit.

Pot luck which gearbox one gets when you order as one can see re mine and edbeeks ordered parts.

In the mean time I've no 560 as its with the dealer and I have no idea whats going on.
    Will have to do another dealer visit tomorrow.

Wish Honda had a 95%+ similar S/P 22in mulch/side throw unit and we could do away with dealing with B/Strat.

Getting p***ed off with it all.
    Cheers Garry

Gazza l'm on about my 6th mulchy, l haven't seen that spring on any of them

The new GT gearbox seems much better than the old metal ones (hopefully time won't prove me wrong).

All you should have needed was the actual gearbox CH86814A, they no longer use the old Weibang boxes

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

For me this time of year in SA i can run the Honda 216 as a mulcher and get away with it,which saves the MM getting used.Not looking forward to when it comes my turn to deal with MM g/box after reading all this.

Very Helpful Member

I don't know why people complain about Briggs and Stratton they replaced the chassis on my Victa (commercial ) 850 without a problem and only took 10 months which was a bit slower than the week to replace the Governor linkages then the week it took to replace the carby then the week to replace the Governor then the 4 or it may have been 6 weeks to replace the engine and while I would love to say I'm really happy with it now that would be a lie because while it's a lot lighter it's still nowhere near as good as the chonda 216 and the drive is virtually useless on anything with a bit of growth or sponginess definitely a mower I would recommend to my competitors but no one else
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

4-5 weeks to get the Cable in mentioned above and the dealer tells me they are slow. Also some dealers hold back orders to get a bigger single parts order off in. More profit for dealer at customer expense saving on freight. But that's not the issue here.
    Yes using any one of my other 5 honda powered mowers, but they can't replace a 560 for mulching especially with the everyday inland heavy frost, even at 10.30am lawns today were wet as even though days are sunny.
    Yep would be good to actually have another 560, but I have to question a purchase knowing that I may pull the pin in a few yrs time.
    Cheers Garry

Update,

The squarish flat bottom gearbox is in runout.
    The parts number i had
    CH86937AW
    560 REAR AXLE S-P FULL ASSY
    This Number is now obsolete, but B/S are carrying 4 gearbox designs.

The new gear box I got with the large circular bulge underneath that doesn't fit with the current bash plate and now non compatible cable that I also ordered.
    Well its supposed to be sold as a kit now which includes, new bash plate with pressed bulge curve in it to accommodate new gearbox and new designed cable. So on top of what i paid for G/Box and cable a new bash plate comes into the equation.

Dealer had a very long conversation with B/S to sort this out and I said I'll take the flat bash design G/box with black top as I've spent enough.

If I had of known all this, I would have ordered the G/B unit on its own and maybe got what edbeek got. Was only being a bit slack and wanted the new drive cogs and a new height handle. But who would have known this was going to happen.

Surely this should be communicated to the dealer network with new parts list and diagram support for moving forward fits and retro fits. Plus my dealer is a big dealer

So still waiting to see what B/S can send me, be it the flat design gearbox or new base plate & cable.
    Dealer knows my preference and is working on it for me.

Said I can get by mulching with 216 with mulch plug, the 4 helicopter blades (2high, 2 low) don't mulch well in the frosty grass. 1st World problem I guess
    Cheers Garry

Garry at least you know you got the support of B&S,just ask Ian he can't praise them enough for the backing he's received.

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    Garry at least you know you got the support of B&S,just ask Ian he can't praise them enough for the backing he's received.
    So if Ian applied for a B&S National Operations Mgr position he would be snapped up on his terms/package real smart.

There you go Ian. a new path for you to pursue

Seriously, B & S are tracking the new design cable and Bash Plate for me so I'm told.
    The bash plate would only need 10mm max clearance in the belly of the g/box part only and the old plate is recessed a little when bolted in.

I'm kinda thinking the clutch drive engagement wheel inside the casting may be better in the new design seeing it would now be a larger diameter torque converter type set up.

Don't really know though as I've not dismantled one like some here have.
    Cheers Garry

So I guessing the best thing to do is to stick with the 'okay 216's' until something better comes along?

Reading the info here a replacement is only 200 bucks which is reasonable cost for a genuine replacement.A genuine Honda 3 speed box is nearing $500 is what i got told a week ago,or a copy is under $200.All prices are fine for pro's running a business

Chris, the 560 is a beast, mine will be re born sometime across next week. hopefully it will take off like me 1250cc bandit. Not having a 560 in the fleet is like not having a forklift at a truck depo.. So for anyone who doesn't have one start saving next spring.

B/J Just got out my MYOB files from Feb 2017 and a Gen Honda SP G/Box from my local dealer was $334 Part 20001-VK3- B12

Googled Mowerplace currently $365
    Cheers Garry

My price for the Victa gearbox was $260. It arrived to regional Qld in less than a week.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast