Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Victa mulchmaster 560 gearbox swap

Default Re: Victa mulchmaster 560 gearbox swap

New Gear Box kit includes apart from the new design G/Box picked up today.

New design base plate with enlarged barrel shaped pressing not only for the curved G/Box, but also for the front part of G/B lower casing. Pressing about as deep as a bic biro.
    New Cable with new lower connection of course,
    New outer top full size plastic cover that covers the g/b and belt pulleys. Its identical to the old one and same part number, so don't know what that's needed for. Edit, Could be for the old flat low profile top g/box pulley design in the 2006 era as the plastic cover would have been flatter back then. With replacements needing the higher design cover.
    New metal bracket that is quite detailed in design/shaping, no idea about that but it appears its attached the alloy base of main deck and to gear box. But don't know yet how its fitted, could be to prevent rotation movement of
    the g/box. Too cold/dark to be up the shed doing it.

Well detailed document with crystal clear photos of every gear box made (4 models) with the year range of release/supply up to the current and some models that may be in circulation with limited supply/stock, out in field. Or known models to be exhausted of stock. Including models numbers dating back prior to 2006.

ED B, yours is listed as limited stock.

The black plasticy top of actual g/box thing is actually called Polymer upper and Alloy base.

I paid no extra.
    Cheers Garry

Garry, can you scan the docu and put it up here.....

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

The only page in my kit box. I will retain all part numbers except nuts/bolts, as every clip lock bag with washers nuts/bolts also had item numbers.
    560 Gear Box Designs.jpg

The cable appears to lock in now, not free sliding fitment as before. Rest of upper cable is the same.
    IMG_0453.jpg

Whilst checking the cover for any differences which are none, the old cover has a bit of belt rubbing wear.
    IMG_0454.jpg

This new bracket should work itself out when i remove old base plate and put in the new bits. The new g/box is already in but jammed against old base plate.
    New axle shaft black plastic thick bushes are slightly larger and the little metal holding lugs cup screwed in have to be bent out a little more - no big deal, if one was worried a spacer washer would deal with it.
    IMG_0455.jpg
    Cheers Garry

Base plate top and bottom

IMG_0456.jpg

Underside
    IMG_0457.jpg
    Cheers Garry

you're a legend mate

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Thanks for that Garry.

Not that it matters now, but funny the gearbox I ordered(and was listed in the parts breakdown) was a completely different part number to any of the 4 listed in the doc.

Gona be interesting how it goes, could do mono's like me M/Bike.
    Cheers Garry

l wonder if they're engine specific?

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

I thought that too, when I got mine the belt cut a big groove in that plastic cover , mine has the honda motor

Not motor specific, have seen Victa spreadsheet showing gearbox part number good for all types of motor installs

The new gear box is brilliant in performance, but I can't say if it will last longer. But the circular drive inner stuff has a larger diameter so that has to be good.

Its very stable in operation and doesn't produce any surging rise/fall in speed at all or belt movement up/down, as smooth as a car on cruise.
    It's fast, too fast at full knots, one has to run or at least fast jog and its not realistic to work like that. But its better to have that speed and choice being a variable speed.

The Gear Box Bracket that comes with kit can not fit in any way, impossible - must be for some other mower like a Victa Turfmaster. Local dealer is finding why it comes with the kit package and will email me the outcome and any pictures of fitment/use.
    The extra plastic top full cover as said prior is identical, don't know why that was needed. I've now a spare that may never be required. Dealer thought it may be moulded higher to accommodate the gear box, but nah, just exactly the same as the previous one.
    Cable install is excellent and locks in, no free play like previous model. Has a choice of two install positions that makes one think it may used in another Victa mower ie Turfmaster.
    The position on the left closest to left rear wheel (when standing at the back) is the best for alignment.

Will post some pictures later of install.

The beast will get a workout tomorrow in wet grass.
    Cheers Garry

Have brightened pictures so one can see the cable insert better.
    Belt got a split from the old g/box, I carry spare belts at home so will use it until it fails.

There's that spring I've harped on about that goes from g/box to alloy deck, it's fitment position is the same as the previous g/box.

Attachment 9493

Cable hooks onto the rear spring and when adjusted right, the spring expands slightly on full handle lever action like a honda 216. The movement required is not much before the spring expands.
    Attachment 9494

Bought a Helicoil kit from Supercheap to fix some other stuffed up holes (6mm), but this is the 6mm S/steel long bolt, spring washer & nut for this hole pictured with 2part Sellley's metal back filled and drilled through.
    Mid strength Loctite me helicoils in too - (not the green plug)
    Attachment 9495

I worked yesterday Sunday from 8.00am till arvo. I have never ever been so cold and the finger tips went red to dark red. Kept thinking about Jack from the Titanic when he was in the water. Brrrr !!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers Garry

Re the never ending spring saga on the 560. But to me its the final chapter on it as I'm now 100% this is would it should be.

Being going through 1000's of photo's for another matter unrelated to mowing and found this one from 2015.

Look where the spring is located in comparison to the in the last posts. This 2015 picture of the gearbox was fitted by dealer whenever it went in and the spring fitted by dealer that way.
    Looks a better way than the 45 deg angle way and the new style g/box has a fitting post for it.

Spring.jpg
    Cheers Garry

How about putting the honda driveline on one? Would be a great weekend project for you
    But good you got it sorted and hopefully you'll get through spring. I probably would have thrown it out by now haha

Also wondering what varies the speed on them? And is it that nature of operation that wears the belts quickly?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    How about putting the honda driveline on one? Would be a great weekend project for you
    But good you got it sorted and hopefully you'll get through spring. I probably would have thrown it out by now haha

Also wondering what varies the speed on them? And is it that nature of operation that wears the belts quickly?
    The 2 small pulleys belts move back and forth via variable h/bar lever, increased belt fiction drives it faster, slacker grip slows it. It works fine in the field and my belts have lasted very well.

Have good detailed pictures and explanations now from Dealer/Victa for placement of the g/box bracket and Ed B the previous model bracket you have it makes mention of it too and fitment location.
    Will scan and post later.
    Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    The 2 small pulleys belts move back and forth via variable h/bar lever, increased belt fiction drives it faster, slacker grip slows it. It works fine in the field and my belts have lasted very well.

Have good detailed pictures and explanations now from Dealer/Victa for placement of the g/box bracket and Ed B the previous model bracket you have it makes mention of it too and fitment location.
    Will scan and post later.
    I am amazed that belts have 'lasted very well' when a normal A/B section is used in a sharp serpentine configuration like that.
    Has anyone tried 'cogged' ( eg AX / BX) belts as they tend to take the reverse curvature a bit better. An AA section (double sided belt) might even be better, but not sure about ready availability.

Joe.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast