Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: New purchase - Husqvarna 322t AWD Rider

Default New purchase - Husqvarna 322t AWD Rider

I picked up my new machine on Friday. I bought a demo model (2 hours) for a great price after having shopped around for a couple of weeks and having researched for a couple of months.

Things that I was looking for in a mower:
    - a good finishing mower. Wanted something that mulched really well but could also discharge if needed
    - good manoeuvrability - this ruled out tractors for me so I was left with zero turns or front decks. The husqy riders have a great turning circle and effectively only misses a circle with a radius of 30cm so it will work well around trees.
    - a Walker was way out of my price range
    - AWD was not originally a requirement. I've got one client who has a steep hill at the back of his property All the way down to the creek which I currently use snippers to slash but a mower would take less that half the time. One of the areas Id like to target has larger properties with sloped yards so I see it as an opportunity to help bring in new clients that I may not have been able to service otherwise.

So this mower has 22hp Briggs Stratton engine, 112cm cutting deck (mulching or rear discharge) a max speed of 12ks an hour and has a full time all wheel drive system.

Really looking forward to getting some hours on it and seeing how it finishes on my current clients' lawns

The photo below is not my machine. I'll take some photos in the next day or two and upload them.
    I'll also endeavour to keep you posted on it's progress and any pros /cons I discover along them along the way.

image.jpg

Default Re: New purchase - Husqvarna 322t AWD Rider

oooh nice!!! jealous

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Thats the articulated version isn't it? I had a very quick look at one, but didn't see it running.

Looked good from what I seen.

What was the price if you dont mind me asking? and how well would it compare to a ZT in maneuverability.

This is what I have been considering to get, around the $6000 mark:

TimeCutter-SW4200-74784co14_2384s_tcz_74784_sw4200_34r_2.jpg

24.5 hp Toro V-Twin 708cc, 42 in (107 cm) High-capacity mowing deck
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

Quote Originally Posted by djkgrounds View Post
    Thats the articulated version isn't it? I had a very quick look at one, but didn't see it running.

Looked good from what I seen.

What was the price if you dont mind me asking? and how well would it compare to a ZT in maneuverability.

This is what I have been considering to get, around the $6000 mark:

TimeCutter-SW4200-74784co14_2384s_tcz_74784_sw4200_34r_2.jpg

24.5 hp Toro V-Twin 708cc, 42 in (107 cm) High-capacity mowing deck
    As far as manouverability is concerned it won't obvious pivot on itself like a zero turn will, but it leaves just a really small radius uncut as it turns around. Yep, it is the articulated one. I've heard of a couple of guys who took a while to get used to the way it turns, particularly as the rear swings out quit wide as it turns around, so you need to be careful your not too close to a building or solid object when doing a 180 without side swiping your new pride and joy

The Husqy retails at 9200, I got 10-15% off buying the model they had on the floor. The toro looks like its a strong unit for the price. $6000 May be able to get you the husky 225(?) which is the model below mine, same engine but no AWD and different trans and hydro components. Worth having a look at for comparison at least.

The Riders are also great for properties with a lot of trees because they are one handed to operate so its very easy to hold branches to one side as you cruise by them.
    They also don't tend to cut the ground up when turning like a ztr can, however still take care on damp ground when turning. I tend to skip a run and run an overlap pattern to avoid this while still maintaining a nice ground speed.
    The rear chute - you will hardly ever use it. Doesn't leave a nice cut like a side throw and I found that the grass gets a bit mowhawky when I have tried it, but if your using the machine on maintained yards then that is never an issue as the mulch deck leaves a fantastic finish.
    One of the great advantages of the out front deck is its accessibility. Blade changes and cleaning are very simple. Watch your fingers when flipping it back down into its operational position ;-)

Whilst the 322 is a nice looking machine, they aren't bullet proof and Husqvarna tend to more development resources into the bling on the machine than the robust parts, so check it over regularly for any issues that might arise (cracks in the deck chassis on welds etc) and happy mowing.

Sterlo
    I spend most of my money on beer and horses, I just waste the rest....

http://www.sterlinggardenservices.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mowbro View Post
    I picked up my new machine on Friday. I bought a demo model (2 hours) for a great price after having shopped around for a couple of weeks and having researched for a couple of months.

Things that I was looking for in a mower:
    - a good finishing mower. Wanted something that mulched really well but could also discharge if needed
    - good manoeuvrability - this ruled out tractors for me so I was left with zero turns or front decks. The husqy riders have a great turning circle and effectively only misses a circle with a radius of 30cm so it will work well around trees.
    - a Walker was way out of my price range
    - AWD was not originally a requirement. I've got one client who has a steep hill at the back of his property All the way down to the creek which I currently use snippers to slash but a mower would take less that half the time. One of the areas Id like to target has larger properties with sloped yards so I see it as an opportunity to help bring in new clients that I may not have been able to service otherwise.

So this mower has 22hp Briggs Stratton engine, 112cm cutting deck (mulching or rear discharge) a max speed of 12ks an hour and has a full time all wheel drive system.

Really looking forward to getting some hours on it and seeing how it finishes on my current clients' lawns

The photo below is not my machine. I'll take some photos in the next day or two and upload them.
    I'll also endeavour to keep you posted on it's progress and any pros /cons I discover along them along the way.

image.jpg
    Gotta love NEW toys. Keep the photos coming in!

Quote Originally Posted by mowbro View Post
    I picked up my new machine on Friday. I bought a demo model (2 hours) for a great price .....

Looks good and even better you got a good deal
    With the 100% Tax deprec this year as well.

Have you considered getting the optional flail mower attachment ad well?
    It is the ideal mower for doing rougher stuff that is harder on the rotary deck.
    You indicated you had client(s) with sloping (and rougher?) terrain and the awd will be good for that.
    Add the flail deck and you have some serious machinery to tackle most sorts of (larger) block - including those that look after better manicured grass might call 'ferals'.
    From a video I saw, I liked the way the outfront (flail) deck operated as it tracked the terrain as you go over a hill/mound whereas the mid mount system on my sherpa wants to scalp the ground when you come over the top of a bank.

Enjoy your machine

Joe

Not sure this model accepts the flail deck....
    I spend most of my money on beer and horses, I just waste the rest....

http://www.sterlinggardenservices.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sterlo View Post
    Not sure this model accepts the flail deck....
    Hey Sterlo, yep there's one available for this model. Not available for the 2wd version though apparently.

I'll consider it down the track, Joe. Sterlo has one for his top of the range model and I know he's had great use out of it.

photo 2-20150603-175719631.jpg
    photo 3-20150603-175721355.jpg
    photo 4-20150603-175722924.jpg

First day out today with the Husky 322t. Two separate properties where I got a really good chance to put it through its paces in a few different scenarios. First was a property with a 1500m2 backyard; most of which is Kikuyu. First half was flat and only 3 inches high (slightly damp) . Gave me a chance to see how well it could finish a reasonably well maintained lawn. The second half of the property was much thicker, probably about 6-8 inches (quite damp) . It's cut was fantastic on the lower stuff and surprisingly good on the thicker stuff even for a mulcher. There is also a number of fruit trees throughout the yard and this gave me the opportunity to test it's manoeuvrability and turning circle. Again, very impressed.

20hp engine had no issues getting through thicker stuff. I slowed down a couple of kph in the thickest parts but it still cut through it well.

Second property is a property that would have a similar sized rear yard but it slopes down all the way to the back fence. I will measure the angle next time I'm there but it would be between 20 to 25 degrees. Much of this was done up and down as apposed to side to side and it did not loose traction at any stage. Tires gouged the ground a bit in some sections but I expected it may given the slope and the dampness of the ground from the rain we've had over the past few days. As far as slopes go, I wouldn't want to test the AWD to a further extent as I felt that I might cause too much strain on the trans. This is the hardest property I have as far as terrain goes, so I'm happy that it's been able to handle this one fine too.

On these jobs, mowing time has been cut by around 50-60%.

I need to get more practice loading it in and out of the trailer on the ramps I have. Out of the trailer is fine, but reversing it back up the ramps can be tricky because the rollers on the front of the deck and the rear wheels have, at times, been the only contact points on the ground. The front wheels of the mower sort of lift of the ground and then because the deck wheels are free moving, the mower can slip to the side a little. I'll just have to try some different ways of adjusting the deck before putting it up on the trailer.

It's only been a few hours worth of of work, but so far I'm really happy with my purchase and what it's done.

How are all you guys with the Husky Riders going?

More importantly have you heard anything about the 525D? I will want the flail deck and then possibly the 5ft combo deck.

I may have a few months before buying (or not) as am waiting for results of a contract that will require some weekly mowing.
    The Hustler could do it but this will also relieve the Hustler from any slashing that I get tempted with.
    It will need the contract to come through to buy the mower, so chip in with any info you all may have.

Hi John, Sterlo will be the best to talk to about the 525D as it will be far closer specced to his than mine (may even be the same?)

I've been loving my 355t. Other than a couple of belts that have had to be replaced (one was user error), I've been very happy with mine so far. I've only done 35 hours on it so far. The quality of its mulching is fantastic, its almost zero turn manoeuvrability is perfect for getting around trees and tight obstacles and it has handled the slopes I've thrown at it with ease.

Mine only has the 21 hp twin cylinder B&S engine, but this has enough power for the jobs that I've been using it on. There is a flail deck available for my smaller version but I haven't really targeted overgrown / feral work with my mower so I'm not likely to get it any time soon.

Still happy with my decision to get one. Will be interested to see what issues arise (if any) over the next 100 hours of use.

For anyone who may be interested. I put together a video that has a bit of footage of the Husky rider in action. A little bit also on slopes and what it's able to manage.

Feel free to check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rt3cHdD_Bg