Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Its going to seize !

Default Its going to seize !

Ever pull on the pull start of a 2 stroke & it goes nowhere ?
    This isn't the first time for me, it has happened on a few occasions over the years.
    The temp fix is to remove the pull start, remove the spark plug, a squirt of lube down the plug hole, then turn it over with a socket.
    Im pretty sure though, its all down hill from here.
    Normally, they'll go a while longer, then seize.
    Its not the 2 stroke mix as I use the same for all my 2 stroke machines & have for a looooong time.
    Thoughts ?
    Cheers Fred.

Default Re: Its going to seize !

Is it a Stihl?????

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post
    Ever pull on the pull start of a 2 stroke & it goes nowhere ?
    This isn't the first time for me, it has happened on a few occasions over the years.
    The temp fix is to remove the pull start, remove the spark plug, a squirt of lube down the plug hole, then turn it over with a socket.
    Im pretty sure though, its all down hill from here.
    Normally, they'll go a while longer, then seize.
    Its not the 2 stroke mix as I use the same for all my 2 stroke machines & have for a looooong time.
    Thoughts ?
    Cheers Fred.
    Had something similar happen on my bg86 recently. Threw it across the yard then drove to the shop to buy another, only to find out it was a loose screw stopping the flywheel rotating. Deadset thought it had seized.

Quote Originally Posted by GardeningSolutions View Post
    Had something similar happen on my bg86 recently. Threw it across the yard then drove to the shop to buy another, only to find out it was a loose screw stopping the flywheel rotating. Deadset thought it had seized.
    Same thing happens to me, except I couldnt throw it that far

with victa 2 strokes, it can be that the blade disc isn't torqued up hard enough (had an old 550 that I removed the disc on and wouldn't turn over at all, local shop[ put a rattle gun on and that fixed it)

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

How much work has the said machine done? I know the pistons wear on the sides paralell to the gudgeon pin on all motors over a long period of time, so maybe the poor old piston has rattling up and down the barrell getting slowly worse, then one day it simply gets a little too sideways and grabs on the barrell. You can get a build up of alloy on the barrell from the wearing piston too, which helps it to seize (something to grab onto) if that makes sense. Just my guess/thoughts.

I had the same thing with a Victa whippy, bloke who was helping me forgot to put 2 stroke into it, even though there was a label on the cap 2 st and bottles where marked 2 st and 4 st. Seized solid, took home and removed the plug filled the cylinder full of WD40 and let sit for a few days, got a spanner on the bolt and turned it over and it's still running now, bit harder to start but my stepson has it and uses it for his home.

Got some news today re the bloke I sold my business to back in 2014. He was using the Hustler Fastrak on a commercial job when the motor seized. No oil on the dipstick WTF I checked it every time I used it for the first time of the day. Bloody expensive repair I think 34hp twin cyl Kawasaki wont be cheap.

strange though for a mower to lose all oil. I don't check mine every day, not even every week. I figure that if I changed it, refilled it and it was at the right level then where could it go? It either has to be on the floor of the trailer or blowing out the exhaust. Having said that I'm going to check it first thing tommorrow.

This , as Troppo says.
    Quote Originally Posted by troppo View Post
    How much work has the said machine done? I know the pistons wear on the sides paralell to the gudgeon pin on all motors over a long period of time, so maybe the poor old piston has rattling up and down the barrell getting slowly worse, then one day it simply gets a little too sideways and grabs on the barrell. You can get a build up of alloy on the barrell from the wearing piston too, which helps it to seize (something to grab onto) if that makes sense. Just my guess/thoughts.
    Last edited by BSD; 04-06-2015 at 10:07 PM. Reason: oops

Quote Originally Posted by troppo View Post
    Hi Troppo, so your saying that Ive got a bit of piston slapping going on & Ive burnt out my ring ?
    Seriously though ???

Whoa, getting a bit personal there, sounds like you're in a bad way - need to come up here for a winter break. But on the serious side - you won't know until you pull it down. Personally, I'd just keep her going until it really seizes (maybe run a bit richer 2 stroke mix), unless you can do your own rebuilds and the rest of the machine is worth it.

Thanx troppo, its not worth my time pulling it down & I couldn't get parts for it anyway.
    Its payed for itself many times now so I'll just keep her going till it seizes good & proper, then it goes to the grave yard for parts.
    Thanks also for fixing my other post.
    Cheers Fred.

Ooops, got my Queenslanders mixed up, thanks DJK for fixing post.

On a philosophical note.....

All engines WILL sieze one day .... just that its sooner for some and later for others

Quote Originally Posted by GardeningSolutions View Post
    This happened to my 6 year old BG86 too. I was resigned to buying a new one. Half stripped it down & took it to the dealer for confirmation that the big end was shot, and he agreed.
    Luckily he didn't have a new one in stock.
    Decided to have a closer look this morning, and after pulling the flywheel off I found where the loose screw was scraping on the flywheel.

I can't make any money ATM with the drought, but made me feel better saving $400 for the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    This happened to my 6 year old BG86 too. I was resigned to buying a new one. Half stripped it down & took it to the dealer for confirmation that the big end was shot, and he agreed.
    Luckily he didn't have a new one in stock.
    Decided to have a closer look this morning, and after pulling the flywheel off I found where the loose screw was scraping on the flywheel.

I can't make any money ATM with the drought, but made me feel better saving $400 for the morning.
    Hi ya Ed, been another dry start to the season hey! Hope thing pick up for you soon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast