Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: What size poly?

Default What size poly?

Hi all just wondering is it better to use 25 mm poly to cover around 50 m with 7 impact sprinklers or 19mm ok?aiming at watering lawn as well as garden..

Default Re: What size poly?

Have you done a pressure test ? it's the only way of knowing how many sprinklers can operate on one length of poly pipe

When you say poly I am hoping you are talking blue or green line pipe. PVC would be the preference if you are not dealing with a large area.

But a pressure test is a necessity especially with impacts. You also need to know what distance you want each head to throw.

I was assuming the common black plastic pipe would suffice...

No. That's low density. You will blow holes in that really quickly

Is this a clients lawn or your own?

IJ, you really need to provide more info.
    As others said, a pressure/flow test is a necessity to work out how many sprays you can put on a line. Leave about a 20% margin for loss.
    You must use high density pipe before the valves, then you can use low density after.
    The larger diameter pipe you use, the less friction, the greater the flow.
    Cheers Fred.

It's just for my own backyard,was just going to use el cheapo plastic sprinklers from bunnings,prob only 4 or 5 mainly to water the lawn more than the garden as it's mostly natives.also to water small veggie patch at the back with 4mm risers.haven't done a pressure test yet...

Stay away from the Bunnings/el cheapo stuff !!!!!!! Will end up giving you so much grief in the long run. Whoever did the irrigation here used all cheap stuff and I have had to replace a lot of it as it kept failing. The worst is the poly pipe, as it keeps getting splits in it and I have to dig it up and repair with joiners. Bloody frustrating to say the least. All the pop-ups have worn out and don't retract, so they've all been replaced and the micro sprayers go brittle over time as well. Like the old saying "poor man pays twice". My supplier has a flow/pressure test kit that they loan me.

Quote Originally Posted by troppo View Post
    Stay away from the Bunnings/el cheapo stuff !!!!!!! Will end up giving you so much grief in the long run. Whoever did the irrigation here used all cheap stuff and I have had to replace a lot of it as it kept failing. The worst is the poly pipe, as it keeps getting splits in it and I have to dig it up and repair with joiners. Bloody frustrating to say the least. All the pop-ups have worn out and don't retract, so they've all been replaced and the micro sprayers go brittle over time as well. Like the old saying "poor man pays twice". My supplier has a flow/pressure test kit that they loan me.
    x2. No watering system is better than a crap watering system.

Really need to do a pressure and flow test, sometimes you can have the pressure but when you let the water flow then all drops off. I got caught once many years ago and it cost me a heap to fix the problem. I only pressure tested at the tap and did not do a flow test.
    Use the biggest pipe you can to start with and if needed then step it down towards the end to keep the pressure up. Should not need to do that with only 50mtrs