Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: EBIX Trades Monitor

Default EBIX Trades Monitor

I recently took on a small block of units looked after by a Strata Corp company. Today I received a form and a letter in the mail from EBIX Trades Monitor which appears to be a company who provides a service to other companies checking on tradies who provide services for them. They say they are acting for the Strata Corp company. On the surface it appears fairly legit and not much to worry about. Although I did get a bit concerned about the depth of information they "require". They are asking for copies of things like

• Public/Product Liability
    • Professional Indemnity
    • Vehicle Insurance
    • Workers Compensation Insurance
    • Any trade related licenses

Then they say copies of the following are "required"

• Security Industry Lic
    • Pest Control/ Inspections
    • Work Cover Certification
    • DIR Electrical (QLD)
    • PIC Plumbing and ESV Electrical (VIC)
    • OHS Systems Audit
    • CFC National Trading Lic
    • National High Risk Lic

Ok I says to myself I will give them what I have but start wondering why they need this and what they do with the privacy of the information. Further down the page it says that provision of the information constitutes acceptance of their Privacy Policy available on their website. That starts alarm bells ticking. Why not provide a copy so I can look at it.

So I go to their website and download the privacy policy and I am not at all happy with it. I have attached a copy so you can see for yourselves. They are basically saying if I provide the info they ask for I am agreeing to be bound by with everything in their Privacy Policy and their terms and conditions which they can change at anytime without notifying me. Yes you read that right.

They go on to say that providing information is at my own risk and they wont guarantee confidentiality of anything I supply. WTF.. Then this sentence got my attention.

"This information will be disclosed to organisations who may seek to use your services, and to Ebix Trades Monitor’s employees, representatives, officers, agents, and affiliates:" Really and just what is an affiliate?. Then the go on with this pearler

c) For any other legitimate business purpose
    You release and Indemnify Ebix Trades Monitor from and against any improper use of the information so submitted to such organisations.

Just what is a legitimate purpose on their behalf with my confidential information. On selling it perhaps. It goes on and on and on.

There is no way I am submitting to these terms. First up tomorrow I am ringing the Strata Corp and telling them I am happy to provide copies of my insurances and certificates direct to them but no way in hell am I agreeing to do it via EBIX. If they dont like that I will walk away from it. This is BS and absolutely outrageous as far as I am concerned. I will be calling ASIC tomorrow as well. They are basically forcing tradies into agreeing with their terms if they want to service the company they provide a service for. And their terms are ridiculous and invasive.

Anyone had any experience with this mob before.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Default Re: EBIX Trades Monitor

sounds totally suss alright

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Explains why I've suddenly seen a number of insurances contact us about changing our policy. Never had that happen before I sent through my details

I had that one, it was for a $30 lawn. I told them my minimum for EBIX related accounts would be $200. If they want to waste your time it has to cost money.

One of the body corps I do work for use them, I just submit my public liability certificate once a year, and that's It. No real issues with them, take 5 minutes, and its a good paying job.

I too have a body corp job who uses them also. All they need is a copy of my public liability insurance. But their business name is Trades monitor only. Not EBIX
    Quote Originally Posted by bb1 View Post
    One of the body corps I do work for use them, I just submit my public liability certificate once a year, and that's It. No real issues with them, take 5 minutes, and its a good paying job.
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Just checked their website and it does include EBIX in their name.
    Must had changed it over the last year.
    Sounds like they subcontract tradies for their lists for a fee also...
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

I originally thought it was pretty simple too. Provide the certificates and be done but when I read the Privacy Policy I just could not believe the audacity of them. It is essentially blackmail. They are saying to me that if I want to work for this company I have to provide my details through them and if I do then I agree to their terms and conditions on what they do with my information. They are hooked in with the Insurance industry and as Brodie says explains why he is getting all these contacts about changing policies. I dont mind proving I have the relevant insurances but I draw the line on having my personal information disseminated who knows where without my knowledge.
    Cheers

Bluey

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

I have a real estate agent that uses (EBIX) them so I had to give them my info to get the job.

I'd be interested to know if the strata and real estates using this group are aware of these terms and conditions. However I wouldn't mind being on the list of trades the give out

Update on this. I spoke to the strata manger and he said most of them use this company and it is an automatic thing generated by their software. He allayed my concerns somewhat by saying all we need is a copy of your public liability and vehicle insurance and company rego. I reluctantly agreed to forward it on and had a good chat about the terms and conditions. He was a bit surprised by it and was going to speak to his bosses about it. Said it was hard enough getting good tradies as it was let alone pissing them off. On the plus side he said once your registered they often look on the system for tradies in the area if they need them so it may bring more work.
    Cheers

Bluey

I just have to give my PL to them once a year
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by AJD Mowing View Post
    I just have to give my PL to them once a year

Same here.....