Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Which Chemical to use??

Default Which Chemical to use??

Hello all,

I have been asked what chemical would be best used to spray some pine tree saplings that have come up in a regulars back paddock. There is hundreds of the pines coming up all about .5-1mt tall.

Which ever chemical I use must be safe for animals as he has cattle and sheep which use the paddock although we are able to put them in another for a short time while spraying.

The chemical will need to be able to be purchased without a chemcert as mine is not current anymore as of a couple of years ago. And also not kill any grass in the paddock.

Any help would be great,

Cheers Damien
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

Default Re: Which Chemical to use??

Quote Originally Posted by djkgrounds View Post
    Hello all,

I have been asked what chemical would be best used to spray some pine tree saplings that have come up in a regulars back paddock. There is hundreds of the pines coming up all about .5-1mt tall.

Which ever chemical I use must be safe for animals as he has cattle and sheep which use the paddock although we are able to put them in another for a short time while spraying.

The chemical will need to be able to be purchased without a chemcert as mine is not current anymore as of a couple of years ago. And also not kill any grass in the paddock.

Any help would be great,

Cheers Damien
    Check out Grazon, It works for blackberries and Ivy, so should work for pines, and frm last time I saw the doco it has no with holding period, but check it out for yourself,

+1 for Grazon or its close relative Garlon

But, if my recollection is correct, both have Trichlopyr as an active ingredient so requires a Chemcert for legal application (but not for purchase afaik).

I think that Starane advanced would also be effective and it does not require Chemcert.
    Starane will not harm grasses and is pretty low on the toxicity scale.
    Good point is that you can also get some uptake through the stem if the bark is thin.
    If you go down the Starane path, get pricing for different container size as I have at times been given very high prices (per litre) for small container sizes.
    Brushoff might work, but is quite slow to act.

Joe

Cool thanks, I will give Elders a call and see if they have either of the ones above (Grazon, Garlon, Starane Advance, Brushoff) It's a good starting point.

Used to work on the farms so used to use a lot of 1080 on trees, but had to watch for any wildlife activity as it knocks them down quick, Dogs and Dingos especially.
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

Also suggest you a google search for "radiata pine control"
    You will find much info as they are an environmental weed - first class in most parts of Aust.

Don't forget the very targeted paint or (careful) spray onto the bark method.
    Chemicals such as Garlon, Starane, Grazon (possibly) can be mixed with diesel and applied to about 20-30 cm of the lower bark and it will be absorbed. Read the chdmical's instruction sheet careful under the heading 'basal bark treatment'.
    Although it might sound 'nasty', it is actually a very precise method of application that can avoid co lateral damage.

Quote Originally Posted by djkgrounds View Post
    Hello all,

Any help would be great,

Cheers Damien
    Hi Damien,

If you're still looking into this; a sharp chainsaw is the best approach mate. No worries with chemicals and stock or feed.

Pine trees don't generally epic up & re-grow ;-)