Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Working near power lines safely

Default Working near power lines safely

Hi all just putting it out there to see what people's thoughts are regarding working near power lines in our industry
    I often work under and sometimes next to insulated service lines most of the time no closer than 1 metre trimming hedges so far
    But now I have a job to do pruning a palm tree and its trunk is about 750cm from a insulated service line it's about 3m high
    I have looked at work cover website it says hand held tools is 0.5m from the line and 3m for mobile plant and metal materials
    Most electical company websites say between 0.5 - 4m
    Is 0.75m too close for tree pruning with a chain saw from a competent person on a ladder ?.
    Thinking more about electricity jumping and using me as a coductor
    Cheers Greg
    ....Nothing like a good whipper....

Default Re: Working near power lines safely

If it were me... Id give the job to someone else.
    I thought people had to have a special licence for being that close to power lines?
    The other thing is, does your insurance cover you if something happens?
    or your life..
    Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    Hi all just putting it out there to see what people's thoughts are regarding working near power lines in our industry
    I often work under and sometimes next to insulated service lines most of the time no closer than 1 metre trimming hedges so far
    But now I have a job to do pruning a palm tree and its trunk is about 750cm from a insulated service line it's about 3m high
    I have looked at work cover website it says hand held tools is 0.5m from the line and 3m for mobile plant and metal materials
    Is 0.75m too close for tree pruning with a chain saw from a competent person on a ladder ?.
    Cheers Greg
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

l've probably been closer with a shortish pole-saw, but was very slow and careful - was on the back of my ute, not a ladder - a matter of how safe/confident you are with the job l guess

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Be interesting in seeing the figures on how many people die trying to make a $100

Had two requests last yrs for similar after customers getting letters from Austnet, gave it back to the power companies to deal with.
    Greg seeing you posted here about, then you may have already decided to not to do it. What does Mrs Greg think?
    Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    Cheers Greg
    One day it may be fine, but another day with different weather conditions' especially humidity or possible points of failure upstream may result in "arcing" possibly quite a bit more than what you mentioned.
    That's my simple understanding of it from my test and tag training but I am sure many others with much more knowledge would also tell you to not go ahead with it.
    i would re-evaluate the risk v's reward

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT.....ZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZT....moaning......burning smell
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

All good I'm still here not doing the job
    If I saw $100 on the other side of the road would I risk running across in front of a truck to get to it ?.
    Cheers Greg
    Gazza the missus trusts me too much lol
    ....Nothing like a good whipper....