Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Totally electric commercial contractor

Default Re: Totally electric commercial contractor

Apart from trying to reinvent the wheel and downplaying what everyone out here is trying to do tarring us all with the big bad polluting brush ...no hate. Good luck to him, but I think its not yet viable in my self righteous opinion. Be happy to eat my hat in 2 seasons time if he has the same equipment, not model but the SAME unit and is prosperous.
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by BSD View Post
    Attachment 8428.........heres what you can use if your out of power.
    Thanx BSD
    Cheers Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by tgc View Post
    I wonder how long before he becomes as cynical and jaded as a lot of the blokes on here.

As far as I can tell he's an Indy operator giving it a go with a professional image and point of difference.
    he'll be charging a premium price which is what everyone wants, why so much hate?
    Trev
    I dont think there is any hate here. Its new and untested. My point in posting it in the first place was to highlight some innovative thinking. I actually hope it works well for him
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Me either, i've got his phone number, and he should be receiving enquiries soon, been looking for a carbon neutral mowing alternative for 6 foot marshmellow weed. I can finally do away with my Jims business cards

Mmmmm 6 foot marshmellow ....homer moment lol
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by tgc View Post
    I wonder how long before he becomes as cynical and jaded as a lot of the blokes on here.

As far as I can tell he's an Indy operator giving it a go with a professional image and point of difference.
    he'll be charging a premium price which is what everyone wants, why so much hate?
    Trev
    where is the hate? I wish him all the best and hope he does well. There is a bit of sceptisim from me about the environment industry in general as an opportunity to make money. If there is always fear of offending anyone no-one would ever post anything about anything. It'd be a pretty boring place.

The hate word is a powerful word to use and didn't need to be posted.
    I've been lucky to work every day this week including this upcoming weekend. Next week I'm quiter work wise, but that's Ok.

Some of my clients I haven't been to for a while over winter which were in this weeks mix of work. I had some large wide hedges at some height and some heavy capeweed mowing and general mowing on resonable lawns in wet/damp conditions. Several clients have highly decorative large stoned areas that require a very powerful blower to clear the fine/heavier twig debris off it onto the lawn for pick up. These are the luxury type homes with varied garden design concepts within their gardens. Some of the properties this week had the dried wet large maple leaves stuck about in wet clumps.

This weekends commercial clients including one absolutely huge one just outright could not be done with battery.
    Can't see that 70% what I have done this week could be done with battery equipment and I don't do feral work. Took on a few randoms over the last two weeks that required carbon based powered equipment to have any hope of achieving a result, partically in the edging department as that was there real reason for calling me.
    The Victa DC blower is half the power of a hand held Petrol and the mower if you look under one having no base plate and a helicopter blade, well is limited to first class lawns that are regularly maintained. The Mower reminds of the capability of a Flymo, not being cruel - just the way it is as a piece of light residential equipment.

The guy has the most stunning website without any question and vehicle presentation is excellent although not an economical car. Battery gear needs to charged and often and if solar is not charging them, well in my opinion green certs or not they adding to the grids power generation.
    His market of income will be limited and one hopes he will make it year in year out. If he comes from a background that has set himself in life prior. Then a soild income is not an issue and this becomes a great hobby business and one can't argue with that. I'm in a similar situation, but not using industry/techno/enviro gear that is more light residential targeted gear for a different market.
    In towns like Nimbin, Yackandandah, Bellngen, Bangalow, Bryon Bay, etc with the Rainbow/Alternate approach this business may thrive better. But in a normal Mortgage stressed populated areas he will have a greater challenge to have a thriving sustainable income generating business without working massive hours to survive to support business costs and a family.

I wish him well and he has certainly put a massive effort into planning, customer promises, marketing, advertising, attitude, research and as said web design. Plus he is having a real go in a market area that is untapped, exclusive and experimental from a business perspective.

I do my bit too with a 4.86Kw LG Neon/Kaco battery ready Solar system at home and been 100% led for the past 2.5 years.

But if the hat fits me tgc, I'm size 59.
    Cheers Garry

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    I
    Yeah it's a saying Gaz, don't get your size 59 in a twist. Maybe I should of asked why the negative comments like post #6 and post #20 etc, and then the piss taking etc.

I'm not tarring everyone with the same brush, a lot of people in this thread, including for the most part, are clearly supportive of another small business man trying something innovative - I just don't understand those that don't.

Anyway no big deal, it's Friday arvo, the sun is shining, the bills are paid and I'm about to have a beer.

Trev

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    I
    Yeah it's a saying Gaz, don't get your size 59 in a twist. Maybe I should of asked why the negative comments like post #6 and post #20 etc, and then the piss taking etc.

I'm not tarring everyone with the same brush, a lot of people in this thread, including you for the most part, are clearly supportive of another small business man trying something innovative - I just don't understand those that don't.

Anyway no big deal, it's Friday arvo, the sun is shining, the bills are paid and I'm about to have a beer.

Trev

Trev

seems to have attracted a lot of interest - all this E'leccy mowing idea.

Good luck to him if he can earn a quid from it.
    Dunno-
    If people are that keen, just hire out some sheep for the lawns and goats for the hedges = way more "eco friendly".
    Might have to install catalytic converters on 'em though - y'know - methane emissions and all that. 1/2" bsp should fit OK.
    - then again we'd get the warm & fuzzy's onto us (animal rights brigade) . ... always a catch !

Did someone say "beer"? - Now that's a good idea !!
    "Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
    If someone says "Can't" , take the "T" off the end and brew it.
    Sip on a mugfull, relax, and take a look at what you've got left to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfa Brayne View Post
    seems to have attracted a lot of interest - all this E'leccy mowing idea.

Good luck to him if he can earn a quid from it.
    Dunno-
    If people are that keen, just hire out some sheep for the lawns and goats for the hedges = way more "eco friendly".
    Might have to install catalytic converters on 'em though - y'know - methane emissions and all that. 1/2" bsp should fit OK.
    - then again we'd get the warm & fuzzy's onto us (animal rights brigade) . ... always a catch !

Did someone say "beer"? - Now that's a good idea !!
    Cheers Arfa. On the pulse as always
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by m287j View Post
    Stihl USA are big on the battery charged stuff now. No surprise considering their petrol equipment is crap to start.
    Cheeking buggar!

Good on this guy for giving it a crack. Be tough with the current gear operating as a commercial business, eventually the batteries will last a decent length of time and they will be a viable alternative but atm it would be a struggle. Maybe it's rooread and his home by lunch time that's how he can get away with using non petrol powered machines .

I know that Husqvarna are about to release a whole range of electric gear inc out front riders

Sterlo
    I spend most of my money on beer and horses, I just waste the rest....

http://www.sterlinggardenservices.com/

l think it'll be a few years before there is commercial quality gear - all the current stuff looks cheap, nasty & very plastic

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast