Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on buying used Walker GHS??

Question Thoughts on buying used Walker GHS??

Hi folks,

I know there are a few here that are big fans of the Walker, I'm pretty much sold on them as well. I figure that if I'm going to spend that kind of money on a zero turn I want it to be able to do everything - catch, mulch, side discharge. And it's a good fit for the work I do, no rough stuff - but some larger areas around 3/4 acre and I see myself using it on any residential jobs where I have access. Also areas where there are a number of houses all lined up in a row, or close by.

But don't want to shell out the big dollars for a brand new MT/MD just now. Perhaps in a year or two once I have my revised workflow sorted and know the Walker is a good fit. So I'm looking at used models. I went to a local dealer and spoke with one of the sales guys who used to work on the Walker's. He said he's seen the Kohler (petrol) engines with 4,000 - 5,000 hours on them! But he's also seen one with only 1,000 hours that was on it's last legs. So obviously the importance of proper maintenance cannot be overstated!

Just wondering if anyone has tips on what to check on a used machine? I don't know much about zero turns, let alone Walker. My basic checks would be making sure that if it's meant to move, it does. And if it's not meant to, it doesn't. Mainly the drive shaft, pulleys etc. I suppose? Checking the front casters for play, I also thought of taking a grease gun with me when I look at them, so I can give the grease nipples a bit of a squirt & check how much it takes before excess is pushed out? Could give an idea of how well greased it's been kept, might be a clue to the general upkeep & maintenance that's been done? And looking for any oil leaks etc. I would think that leaks may not necessarily be chronic, seals are easy to replace...?

Obviously lower hours are generally better - but I'm looking at around 1,700 - 3,300 hours on different machines. 1,700 - 2,200 hrs on the 25/26hp Kohler models I've found, and the 3,000+ is on a diesel. Just wondering what machine you would work out better? I know the diesels should have a much longer engine life overall (and more economical on fuel), but if the petrol engines can go for 4-5k hrs, how many hours can a diesel do?

Also thinking of a worst case scenario, does anyone know how much it would cost to repower a petrol & diesel (new engines)? I did ask another dealer about used models, and the basic idea they had was that they're used for a reason... because they're used up pretty much. If they've been thrashed & had maintenance skipped, I agree. But I think it's also possible to find good machines even at 1,000 to 2,000+ hours? What do you think?

If any Walker owners want to share their experiences as far as buying used machines or how many hours you've put on them, that could be helpful as well.

Thanks a bunch!

And if anyone has, or knows of a Walker GHS for sale - feel free to give it a plug or send me a PM!

Default Re: Thoughts on buying used Walker GHS??

Hi Conrad,

I personally have owned a new walker mower when I had my mowing business and now work as a mechanic at a mower store that sells new walkers. The main main risk you are taking with a second hand unit isn't just the condition of the engine but also the high cost of any other major parts that may fail. For example the hydros are approximatly 3 grand each, deck 3-4 grand and blower assemblies aren't cheap either. Unless a contractor has gone out of business they don't normally trade them in until they think the machine will let them down in the near future.

In my opinion a used second hand walker can still be an investment, but I would only recommend them to people who are mechanically minded. I have personally seen customers spend thousands over time through the workshop on half worn out walkers.

As far as grass collection mowers go they are the most efficient option but also require the most maintenance. We currently have a second hand mt with high dump for sale as the contractor who owns it lost the contract he was using it for, so no longer has a need for it. I can get back to you with hours and price if this is of any interest? (It has been regularly serviced by our workshop). Cheers Evan

Thanks Evan for that info!
    What kind of life do you think the hydro units have? I have read up as much as I can, quite a bit of discussion on lawnsite.com forums. I think I recall someone mentioning that they had hydro units replaced around 5-600hrs and now over 2,000+hrs no issues. And one other who had kept their very first Walker, still gets weekly use and around 7,000hrs on it or something! On the 2nd engine though. And probably replaced hydros as well I'd guess? I think the older pre-2007 machines had some issues with blowers and hydros, is that right? May be worth hanging out and spending a bit more on a later model 2007+?

I am definitely mechanically inclined, the regular maintenance and number of grease points etc. doesn't put me off at all. Actually I see it as an advantage. For instance your regular mid-mount ZTR has no grease nipples on the front caster wheels at all (just to examine one point, but the entire machine is similar). Owners of these machines may think "great, less maintenance!" But the bearings still need grease... and to grease them you need to take the whole thing apart instead of spending 10 seconds with a grease gun. Or maybe they're designed so you just let them wear out and put in new bearings when it starts making funny noises?

It's still definitely an investment - looking at around $4,800 - $13,000+ for these used machines. That diesel I mentioned with over 3,000hrs is listed at $4,800. But it makes me think twice now that you mention the hydros, it's got to be at that price for a reason...

I will send you a PM about that MT at your shop!

why get a walker ? they don't catch the grass on the MCG,

Okay - I'll bite: How do they cut the MCG?

Actually so far I have not used a catcher mower at all - it's been 100% mulch/side discharge push mower, or side discharge ride on. But there are some really (I mean really) nice thick, super-green, lush lawns that just cannot be mulched. I mean they are so thick, the grass leaves are so dense that there's no way the clippings will fall down out of sight - it always sits on top of the lawn. It would need to be mowed twice a week in summer with a mulching mower and the customer just isn't going to go for that, because they know full well that if a catcher mower is used there will be no problem. It always means extra work either raking up the really bad clumps or blowing the entire lawn. I lost one job because it just wasn't working out. And that's exactly the type of job that I don't want to have to turn down.

And yes - buy a catcher mower I hear you say. Well that would make sense, except I need some kind of ride on anyway. So why not have one that can do it all? And there's the time factor - yes a Walker is expensive, but let's say it increases yearly expenses by 20%, certain jobs will be able to be done 75% quicker or more. Every way I think about it, it all just makes sense to me.

It's also not just the mowing, but the other things like being able to add a dethatcher & sprayer attachment, using it as a vacuum to pick up leaves etc. Once you get past the shock of the cost, let's be honest I don't think there is anyone who wouldn't want to use a Walker? And I believe that not all decisions should come down to a simple cost analysis. For me this is definitely one of those situations.

Wink Re: Thoughts on buying used Walker GHS??

Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post
    Okay - I'll bite: How do they cut the MCG?

Actually so far I have not used a catcher mower at all - it's been 100% mulch/side discharge push mower, or side discharge ride on. But there are some really (I mean really) nice thick, super-green, lush lawns that just cannot be mulched. I mean they are so thick, the grass leaves are so dense that there's no way the clippings will fall down out of sight - it always sits on top of the lawn. It would need to be mowed twice a week in summer with a mulching mower and the customer just isn't going to go for that, because they know full well that if a catcher mower is used there will be no problem. It always means extra work either raking up the really bad clumps or blowing the entire lawn. I lost one job because it just wasn't working out. And that's exactly the type of job that I don't want to have to turn down.

And yes - buy a catcher mower I hear you say. Well that would make sense, except I need some kind of ride on anyway. So why not have one that can do it all? And there's the time factor - yes a Walker is expensive, but let's say it increases yearly expenses by 20%, certain jobs will be able to be done 75% quicker or more. Every way I think about it, it all just makes sense to me.

It's also not just the mowing, but the other things like being able to add a dethatcher & sprayer attachment, using it as a vacuum to pick up leaves etc. Once you get past the shock of the cost, let's be honest I don't think there is anyone who wouldn't want to use a Walker? And I believe that not all decisions should come down to a simple cost analysis. For me this is definitely one of those situations.
    Pretty convincing!!! I'll be extremely disappointed if you don't get one.

Hi Conrad, I have the 23hp MT, 42" multi deck, I use all three functions of the deck, (catch, mulch & side discharge), I have had it since new and do all the general maintenance myself, there are a lot of nipples to grease, but are relatively quick and easy to access.

My only problem with the Walker is the blades for the multi deck, I go through a set of blades on average every 100 hours, there are 8 blades for the multi deck plus bolts/nuts which equates to just under $300 from the local Walker dealer (operating costs work out to $3 per hour just for blades/bolts/nuts, that's with me fitting them). I have tried using the straight blades they are a lot cheaper but, sit a lot higher up in the deck as they are designed to cut grass in the USA, which is left a lot longer than here, I even modified the blade set up with a spacer to lower the blades by 10mm, on pristine grass they worked well and really striped the grass up nice, but I found on a lot of jobs, I needed to go over the grass a couple of times.

I have been trying to source some Gator blades to try, however, I haven't been able to get any 42" with the two different rotations.

That's right, I just have to now - I've even talked myself into it!

Some questions on looking at used machines - should there be any play in the deck drive shaft? One machine I looked at, the shaft can be wiggled a bit side to side near the deck end. It's not loose, just has some play. Seems like it mows fine, no weird noises or other problems at all. Just not sure if any play is within spec or not? Started reading through a manual I found online, but not sure if that will say anything about service specs (it's more of an operating/owners manual than a service manual).

Thanks for that info Scott. Yeah I had a quick look at the multi deck in a showroom on the w'end. Double decker blades - that's some serious business!

Can't you sharpen the blades? Why buy a new set so often? Or do you mean that you sharpen so much during that 100 hours that the blades are getting too thin/narrow or out of balance?

I could have sworn that the lower blades I saw were gator blades, and the upper were regular blades. I will probably be stopping by that dealer again tomorrow, will check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post
    Thanks for that info Scott. Yeah I had a quick look at the multi deck in a showroom on the w'end. Double decker blades - that's some serious business!

Can't you sharpen the blades? Why buy a new set so often? Or do you mean that you sharpen so much during that 100 hours that the blades are getting too thin/narrow or out of balance?

I could have sworn that the lower blades I saw were gator blades, and the upper were regular blades. I will probably be stopping by that dealer again tomorrow, will check it out!
    The top blades (mulching) are still in good nick after 100 hours, probably go another 100 hours, but the fluted (bottom blades) are worn out, flutes cracked, and you can't buy individual blades.

I even tried to dodge the middle man and buy direct from the importer, but they just refer me to the local Walker dealer.

Let me know if the bottom blades are Gator, be keen to try some, I have tried various websites but none seem to have the 'left & right hand' blades, I was hoping to get the one piece Gator blade to reduce the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by LGGF View Post
    The top blades (mulching) are still in good nick after 100 hours, probably go another 100 hours, but the fluted (bottom blades) are worn out, flutes cracked, and you can't buy individual blades.

I even tried to dodge the middle man and buy direct from the importer, but they just refer me to the local Walker dealer.

Let me know if the bottom blades are Gator, be keen to try some, I have tried various websites but none seem to have the 'left & right hand' blades, I was hoping to get the one piece Gator blade to reduce the cost.
    find your parts
    http://www.oregonproducts.com/lookups/powersearch.aspx

Order here, freight can be expense so get a quote works out ok if you stock up. chains aswell etc
    https://www.oregonpartsstore.com/home.php

Sorry Scott, the bottom blades are the same as the top, no gator blades. I must have got confused - looked at so many different mowers & blade setups over the w'end.

Cheers for the tip Macka, might come in handy...

oregonparts store - mega exxy with their postage quotes

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

We have the 42 inch multi deck on our Walker. You will go through 10 sets of lower blades before you will need to replace the top blades. Machine has done 1600hrs and no problem with hydros. Almost everything that moves has been replaced or repaired exept hydros and wheel motors.

Cheers PhilG. Good to know. I have a machine now, 26hp EFI MT GHS with 42" GHS deck. Thinking I will make up my own mulch plug like this:

And will try a set of gator blades. If I can find them, still not 100% sure what is available for Walker and haven't looked around yet. That will at least get me mulching for the time being, will probably still look at a multi deck in the future. Never hurts to have more options!

When you say hydros & wheel motors - I thought the hydros drove the wheels directly? (Sorry, haven't finished reading through the manual...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast