Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on buying used Walker GHS??

Default Re: Thoughts on buying used Walker GHS??

Did you buy a new machine or it's a new deck? Walkers have hydros and wheel motors. They manufacture the wheel motors themselves.
    Dedicated GHS catches much better than the multi deck. I only mulch or side discharge now. Haven't caught grass for a long time.

Just read post again. Not your deck. Doh.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilG View Post
    We have the 42 inch multi deck on our Walker. You will go through 10 sets of lower blades before you will need to replace the top blades. Machine has done 1600hrs and no problem with hydros. Almost everything that moves has been replaced or repaired exept hydros and wheel motors.
    Hi Phil, where do you get your blades from, are you able to buy just the lower blades? How many hours do you get out of your lower blades?

Scott

I buy my blades from Dandenong Mowerpower. I don't have to buy the whole set every time . I can buy just lower blades and washers if I like. That costs me about $85. I get about four months out of a set. Probably about 30 hours I guess. Maybe a little less. If I wasn't mulching all the time probably get a bit more.

Hi

Purchased a used Walker from Mower Power with a multi deck, have put over 100 hours on it and still haven't replaced the blades, lower blades are about 1 inch wide at the moment and the lip at the back of the blades diapered ages ago. the mower still catches just fine so I will continue to keep sharpening them until I think the are too dangerous to continue using.

If it ain't broke don't mess with it.

Yeah same here, I've been sharpening my multi deck blades but have 2 sets on rotation. No point having the Magnamatic just sitting there for the push mower blades.

Actually I've got my multi deck listed for sale now, just not completely happy with the performance - way less stripe and suction than my old 2009 machine with 1800 hours on it.

LGGF how did your spacered single blade setup compared to a plain GHS deck as far as the stripes and finish? Because if it's close I might give that a try and call it good enough... but as far as I'm aware it's the different blade rotation that will mean it never has the same stripe as a GHS deck. Apparently the reverse rotation GHS deck is supposed to give an even more pronounced stripe and I really like the idea of that as the stripe direction is forward so there's much less noticeable wheel tracks as well.

Aahhh the search for the perfect stripe... we must be a mad lot.

Where is your deck listed for sale?

I've got it advertised on Gumtree and Facebook marketplace (theres two ads, one is swap for Perfaerator + GHS deck the other is just straight sale). I've only just clicked over 80 hours on that machine...
    Or did you mean location? I'm in Brisbane.

Hi Guys
    Next year I will be in the market for a 2nd hand walker mower.
    Will want it primarily for catching & mulching would be useful. High dump would be great
    A 42 inch deck will probably be big enough.
    It will be used for body corp jobs with up to 30 units and high end acreage maintenance.
    It won't need to be a full commercial model as we don't have that many jobs for it, even though we will get more work for it.
    Light commercial upwards should be fine.

Coming from mid mount ztr's like Hustlers which I think would be very different what do I need to look for?
    From what I can see in Vic they are only available second hand when they have been very well used.
    Will look interstate if I can get it checked out properly

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have not sat on one since 2006. We then bought the Dixon as the Walker was out of our price range

Hey SEM,

What is your budget? It can take a long bit of looking to find a machine that suits...

You will usually only see used machines with high hours because they're such great machines that people don't regularly sell & upgrade. They tend to keep them until they can buy new again or maintenance cost becomes too high. Be aware that older machines will need more work as parts wear out... that old 2009 MT model of mine already had a small block engine rebuild (around 1600hrs, I bought it at 1800hrs), and when it came to the busy season I spent about $3k in a month on repairs (fuel pump, belts, pulleys etc. and a bunch of other stuff that I'd rather forget...) But hey that's the cost of business I guess! It was after that I'd had enough and decided to buy new. I don't regret buying it as it was what I could afford at the time, got it for just under $10k and it had the high dump and a 42" GHS deck. It was a price that let me dip a toe in and see if the machine would be a good fit for the work I do. Not trying to scare you off a used machine, but it pays to be aware of all possible issues and extra costs before you go in.

As far as things to check - just look for funny noises or vibrations ($$$), pulleys if worn will show a silver colour in the groove where the belt runs. And just check that all the grease nipples look to have been regularly greased. An easy spot to check is the deck pins that you undo to flip the deck up, if they look dry that would be sending off alarm bells for me. And check the service history if you can - oil & filter every 50hrs in dusty conditions I believe. Walker specify 100hrs in the manual, but hey this is Australia. haha. Other things different to the mid-mount ZTR's are the gear driven blades, if you feel any strange vibrations or noises from the deck be very wary. Anything can be fixed, but again it can be an extra cost so use it as a negotiating tool if you're keen on the machine.

I got a 42" Multi Deck on my new MT a couple of years ago. Good deck, but just doesn't quite have the same cut quality and finish as the GHS deck due to the different blade rotation needed to provide side discharge, you lose a bit of that "natural stripe" that Walkers are known for. But it's still definitely the most versatile deck option by a long shot. The mulch performance is absolutely amazing!

Having said all that I just got a new 48" GHS deck last weekend. This was mainly due to one of my biggest jobs - I had to do 2 laps mowing for want of an extra 3" to cover the entire nature strip width between roadside and footpath. Now I only need to do one pass, what took 2.5hrs to mow now takes 1.5hrs! Plus I wanted the best finish possible... I didn't buy a Walker to have 2nd best! I would suggest measuring up your jobs, if there's a lot of situations where the smaller deck will leave just a few inches of unmowed lawn you might find it better to use a 48" deck.

If you will mainly catch, my preference would definitely be towards the GHS decks. You can buy blockoff plates for them to effectively put them into "mulch mode". So far I've just been turning off the blower, letter the chute block up and mowing like that with my 48". Does require blowing if you want a super clean finish, leaves a few clumps.

Also might be worth contacting Walker Australia to ask if they know of any used machines for sale - those guys are pretty good and seem to have their ear to the ground and might give you a good lead.

Hope that helps... just ask if you have any other questions.

Thanks Conrad that does help.
    Don't have a budget but won't buy a well used machine. I wont buy new as It wont get the work.
    If I pay reasonable dollar for a good second hand machine it will still hold its price when I sell it if it's looked after properly. Just need to find one.
    Will use it for a couple of jobs at least ATM but when I have it will chase more work for it.
    It will be mainly for catching ATM but will use it for mulching and try to convert to mulching down the track as well.

Just saying that one is up for sale down the road >https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/berw...wer/1201132264
    what size cut does it look like?

Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post
    Hey SEM,

What is your budget? It can take a long bit of looking to find a machine that suits...

You will usually only see used machines with high hours because they're such great machines that people don't regularly sell & upgrade. They tend to keep them until they can buy new again or maintenance cost becomes too high. Be aware that older machines will need more work as parts wear out... that old 2009 MT model of mine already had a small block engine rebuild (around 1600hrs, I bought it at 1800hrs), and when it came to the busy season I spent about $3k in a month on repairs (fuel pump, belts, pulleys etc. and a bunch of other stuff that I'd rather forget...) But hey that's the cost of business I guess! It was after that I'd had enough and decided to buy new. I don't regret buying it as it was what I could afford at the time, got it for just under $10k and it had the high dump and a 42" GHS deck. It was a price that let me dip a toe in and see if the machine would be a good fit for the work I do. Not trying to scare you off a used machine, but it pays to be aware of all possible issues and extra costs before you go in.

As far as things to check - just look for funny noises or vibrations ($$$), pulleys if worn will show a silver colour in the groove where the belt runs. And just check that all the grease nipples look to have been regularly greased. An easy spot to check is the deck pins that you undo to flip the deck up, if they look dry that would be sending off alarm bells for me. And check the service history if you can - oil & filter every 50hrs in dusty conditions I believe. Walker specify 100hrs in the manual, but hey this is Australia. haha. Other things different to the mid-mount ZTR's are the gear driven blades, if you feel any strange vibrations or noises from the deck be very wary. Anything can be fixed, but again it can be an extra cost so use it as a negotiating tool if you're keen on the machine.

I got a 42" Multi Deck on my new MT a couple of years ago. Good deck, but just doesn't quite have the same cut quality and finish as the GHS deck due to the different blade rotation needed to provide side discharge, you lose a bit of that "natural stripe" that Walkers are known for. But it's still definitely the most versatile deck option by a long shot. The mulch performance is absolutely amazing!

Having said all that I just got a new 48" GHS deck last weekend. This was mainly due to one of my biggest jobs - I had to do 2 laps mowing for want of an extra 3" to cover the entire nature strip width between roadside and footpath. Now I only need to do one pass, what took 2.5hrs to mow now takes 1.5hrs! Plus I wanted the best finish possible... I didn't buy a Walker to have 2nd best! I would suggest measuring up your jobs, if there's a lot of situations where the smaller deck will leave just a few inches of unmowed lawn you might find it better to use a 48" deck.

If you will mainly catch, my preference would definitely be towards the GHS decks. You can buy blockoff plates for them to effectively put them into "mulch mode". So far I've just been turning off the blower, letter the chute block up and mowing like that with my 48". Does require blowing if you want a super clean finish, leaves a few clumps.

Also might be worth contacting Walker Australia to ask if they know of any used machines for sale - those guys are pretty good and seem to have their ear to the ground and might give you a good lead.

Hope that helps... just ask if you have any other questions.

Conrad this is apparently about 5 yrs old with 267 hrs on the clock used on acreage. Have not seen it but it sounds ok. I know where it was purchased and serviced - hopefully I can see the service records. Will go have a look but 16K sounds a bit much for a 5-6 old machine. Can the hrs meter be tampered with or zeroed back??

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/berw...wer/1201132264

Looks like a 48" deck to me, could be wrong tho.

You'd be looking at around $26k (maybe more now) for a new machine, so $16k is about right especially for low hours. They are not a cheap machine...
    I don't think there is any way to tamper with the hour meter, but you should easily be able to tell if it looks like a legit 267hr machine. If you can see the service records/invoices that's a bonus. (Although I do all the oil & filters myself so I wouldn't have anything to show if I sell mine..)

They do keep their value really well. That old machine I had - I actually ended up selling it for more than I paid!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12