Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shindaiwa T270 - sitting for months, won't start

Default Shindaiwa T270 - sitting for months, won't start

I bought a new Shindaiwa T270 line trimmer because I needed some extra power to clear a vacant lot, got the job done and then the machine sat untouched for a few months... I kept meaning to fire it up and run out the fuel, or at least use it every couple of weeks but that never happened... I know, shame on me...

Now it won't start up, no fuel flowing through the primer bulb. I thought of just changing to a new fuel line and fuel filter - that's what the troubleshooting section of the manual says, but the shop seems to think the whole fuel system might need to be flushed.

What do you reckon? I am guessing this is not an uncommon thing to happen when spare machines get forgotten about... I didn't go ahead and buy a new fuel line & filter in case it would just be a waste.

Cheers for any tips.

Default Re: Shindaiwa T270 - sitting for months, won't start

Get yourself some starter fluid (Autobarn-Supercheap etc) and spray a bit of that down the carby throat. Probably have to give it a few goes to get the fuel flowing again. If that don't work, you'll have to pull the carby apart and give it a clean out with Carb Cleaner then re-assemble. Shouldn't need a new gasket set if you are careful. Best to leave fuel in the system in my opinion to stop the gaskets and diaphrams drying out. I have an old Echo whippy for a back up and it will start second/third pull after sitting for 6 months or more.

Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post
    I bought a new Shindaiwa T270 line trimmer because I needed some extra power to clear a vacant lot, got the job done and then the machine sat untouched for a few months... I kept meaning to fire it up and run out the fuel, or at least use it every couple of weeks but that never happened... I know, shame on me...

Now it won't start up, no fuel flowing through the primer bulb. I thought of just changing to a new fuel line and fuel filter - that's what the troubleshooting section of the manual says, but the shop seems to think the whole fuel system might need to be flushed.

What do you reckon? I am guessing this is not an uncommon thing to happen when spare machines get forgotten about... I didn't go ahead and buy a new fuel line & filter in case it would just be a waste.

Cheers for any tips.
    Is there fuel getting to the carby? You should be able to just disconnect the fuel line and fuel should pour out. Very odd for a machine so new to playing up like that even if it was left for more than 12mths. Maybe there is an air leak in the line or primer bulb somewhere, or maybe the inlet in the tank has kind of popped up up over the fuel line. Maybe try with a full tank if you haven't already.

don't use ethanol blend either

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Starter fluid - as in Start-Ya-Bastard? That's the only name I know it as.

What are you guys using that you can leave fuel in and it starts after 6 months?? Or is that just straight premix? Should that be normally expected?

I never go for ethanol blend fuels, not sure if I accidentally got some one day in a rush, but it would only have been a small amount of 5L anyway.

I don't think there is fuel getting to the carby. I haven't had one of this type primer bulb 2T carbs apart (others yes), but from what the manual says it seems like the fuel goes from the tank, to the primer bulb, then to the carb. So if nothing gets to the bulb, nothing will get to the carb.

I'll check it out & make sure all the lines are attached.

I had this happen on a hedge trimmer just the other day. The fuel system wouldnt prime, so put a little mix down the carb and it started, but ran like crap. I had an identical machine, so took the carb off that one and changed the other and it started first pull.
    Both hedge trimmers had been using the same fuel and had sat just as long as each other, for some reason, one had a blockage in the carby, the other didn't.
    Using a starting fluid, usually is enough to force the blockage clear, once clear they are good to go. Otherwise you will need to clean inside the carby.

Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post

Cheers for any tips.
    If the primer bulb is seperate to the carby and there is no fuel being drawn from the tank, then the manual is correct that the fuel filter would be blocked. I would firstly remove the fuel filter from the tank and then try and see if any fuel will prime up the fuel line. Standard pump fuels only have a recommended shelf life of 1 month, using fuel past this period can cause internal damage to the engine. I would recommend using a fuel stabilizer with your 2 mix or using the shindaiwa oil that have stabilizers in it. Cheers Evan

First check if it's Fuel, compression or spark that is the problem.
    If the trimmer starts with aerostart/start ya bastard/ether spray then cuts out, the problem is with the fuel system. (or blocked exhaust - wasps sometimes build nests in the muffler outlet)If it doesn't start with spray, the problem is compression, or spark.
    For fuel problem -
    Tip out the old fuel and use it for parts wash or whatever.
    While the tank is empty, you should be able to see the fuel pickup flopping around in the tank. Sometimes the pickup can get stuck so it isn't on the bottom of the tank - which means it will only pump air. You can usually hook the pickup with a bit of wire so it comes to the fuel cap hole - see if it looks blocked - if it's crappy, clean it.
    Refill the tank with fuel no older than 2 weeks out of the pump.
    Sometimes the little flaps valves in the primer/diaphram, gum or crud up. Roll the whippy so the fuel tank is entirely above the carby, and pump the primer bulb until it is full of fuel. (If it still won't push fuel through, then you have to remove and strip the carby.)
    Start it as you normally would. If it still won't go and smells heavily of petrol, make sure the air cleaner hasn't oiled up from leaking fuel while it's been sitting idle.
    "Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
    If someone says "Can't" , take the "T" off the end and brew it.
    Sip on a mugfull, relax, and take a look at what you've got left to work with.

Conrad, all good suggestions above, a couple more.
    When you pump the primer bulb, is it rock hard with fuel or does it just refill with air ?
    If rock hard, there is a blockage, check filter, line & carby.
    If air filled, there is an air leak, check its all sealing correctly. Sometimes it can be simply your carby isn't screwed tightly enough to the inlet.
    Please let us know the outcome so we all can benefit.
    Cheers Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post
    Conrad, all good suggestions above, a couple more.
    When you pump the primer bulb, is it rock hard with fuel or does it just refill with air ?
    If rock hard, there is a blockage, check filter, line & carby.
    If air filled, there is an air leak, check its all sealing correctly. Sometimes it can be simply your carby isn't screwed tightly enough to the inlet.
    Please let us know the outcome so we all can benefit.
    Cheers Fred.
    this is pretty common on machines l check for others

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Any conclusion ?
    Cheers Fred.

Most of the better known 2mix oils contain a fuel stabilizer.I would have thought it should be alright for at least 6 months.That's if it's fuel related

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    Most of the better known 2mix oils contain a fuel stabilizer.I would have thought it should be alright for at least 6 months.That's if it's fuel related
    How do you know if oil contains fuel stabiliser, is that something on the label?

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    How do you know if oil contains fuel stabiliser, is that something on the label?
    My local mower dealer sells echo and stihl and they both have it built in as the dealer says.Never read the label but it might be on there

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post

It's on the label of the shindaiwa oil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast