Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cox vs Greenfield

Default Cox vs Greenfield

Hello, I'm thinking a 32" - 34" lawn tractor for longish damp lawns,

Cox Mower reviews are great, any feed back on the Green fields or comparisions?

The Greenfields do look very nice on paper with bigger motors up to 30hp on a 34" looks like it would cut though anything https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Da-dm8x1FU

RE: the Cox single cylinders motors are they strong enough for tough stuff and what size engines would i need in a single for tough stuff?

Default Re: Cox vs Greenfield

Was just looking at this myself. Spoke to a Cox dealer and a greenfield dealer yesterday. Greenfield dealer said they don't have em in stock and the ones they do get in tend to be the lower horsepower ones. Greenfields don't have hydro drives. At one stage i saw a brochure that had a 30hp v twin on a greenfield. That would be awesome. I've never owned one but the one I saw a while ago look well built with more steel (steel bonnett) than the cox. The cox dealer has the 32inch hydro axle single cylinders 17hp in stock. Cox make them with live drives as well as the hydros. The cox bloke reckons the hydros have a sharper turning circle and better variable speed. Said the live drive is better for hills but is more of a go fast staright line machine. He seems to think 17HP is all cox offers these days but I have found both the brochures and websites confusing as to what they offer for both greenfiald and cox. They both need to get there act together in that regard. I have the lawn boss 13.5hp and power is pretty good. I suppose it depends on what you class as tough stuff but it can cope with long wet grass and not only that can give it a finish that a honda SP can only dream of. Very simple design on the cox. I reckon 17hp would be enough power assuming it really is a 17HP and not overstated. The live drives have diff lock i believe which could be handy in very steep areas.

I will take a Greenfield anyday, My old one was 32yrs old with the original stock 11hp briggs when I got it, and cut through 5ft high grass with heavy under growth with ease.

Greenfield are built solid. I have seen the 28" with a 20hp and it had some awesome power. The Cox has a better turning circle from what I here, but you can get the Greenfields with Diff Lock which would help a lot with maneuverability and hilly properties.

It was a sad day when the motor shat itself mine, 32 yrs old on the original motor.

This is the old girl, I put a new seat on after this pic was taken.
    IMG_20130515_151021.jpg

This was one of the jobs my old girl done
    LSBLSA.jpg
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

I have a fellow lawn mowing contractor here that uses the cox with the hydro drive. He had the cone drive model before that. He says that he used to get 6 monthes out of a cone drive before it died. He has 3 years and counting out of the hydro drive.
    My mechanic said that the greenfield was cheaper to fix than the cox. I believe he was meaning on the cone drive models.
    I had a old greenfield like djkgrounds photo. It used to turn terrible. I had to get rid of it because of an injury to my right knee. Yeah had to to be right knee so can't use any heel toe machine.
    If it was for mowing long bad stuff I would get the greenfield.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    hjl

cox

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Its all helping,,, thx guys.

im not looking to cut really high grass, I just want to be able to cut damp 6-8 inch high thick grass with patches of weeds, i have picked up half a dozen 3xWeekly's and the growth in spring is a bit much for the 42" 3xBlade deck i have. I can cut it with the 42" but have to pick when to mow them, need to be driest part of the day, I also loose time doing half runs, cleaning the deck and blowing off the job at the end.

The 42" was to be replaced with a Gravely ZT34 but im unsure if a 2xBlade deck will do the job on the wet long grass. By all reports a greenfield 34" or Cox 32" will.

Any opinions on the new, COX LAWNBOSS (Hydro Drive) CR9607G with a B&S Intek Single 15.5 HP @ $3,500

For an extra $299 you can pick up a bigger engine (Assuming they are in your area), not sure what the differences are between the two other than engine size and colour. http://www.powerequipmentdiscounters...cm20ko0b5c29t2

That same website in the previous post also advertise a 38 inch deck with the 17.5HP and a 35 inch deck with a 19HP.

I assume thay are all single blade discs on the 32" 38" and the 35" ?

The 35inch/19HP is roughly $1400 more than the 32inch/17.5HP. For that you also get bigger tyres and I dunno what else.

Rang Cox this morning. They were very helpful, I know now the differences between the machines. Interesting that there HP rating are now accurate so the current 17.5 HP used to be the 19.5. The current 19HP is the old 21HP. The old 13.5 HP would now be considered 11.5HP.

The stockman 4500 is a bigger machine by quite a bit (1.86m long) with adjustable seat, anti scalp wheels and a lower centre of gravity than the 4000 and lawn boss. Any cox deck up to 35inch deck size is single spindle, anything over 35 is dual spindle. The 35's take the same blades as the 32's.

How do the small greenfield ride ons compare with the greenfield ipd for mowing bad long grass?
    When I had I old greenfield only used it on normal height grass.
    Cheers
    hjl

my old 11hp Greenfield went through 5ft high thick grass, with a 32" deck running 4 blade
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

Hi djkgrounds
    There was a 11hp 28" deck greenfield at a garage sale this morning for $500. Maybe I should have bought that. My problem right knee puts me off heel toe mowers.
    Cheers
    hjl

i went to the local Greenfield dealer today
    32" 25hp Briggs n stratton v twin i really like the machine very fast heal toe for forward and reverse its no zero turn but with the 1 pedal control i think it will be ok around obstacles,
    I found the steering very light as it has 1 large sprocket linked to a chain as a reduction making the ratio quite good for turning...
    very strong construction i think it would last a long time..! i didnt see any plastic on it at all its made out of mostly metal!!
    im really thinking to get the 25hp to help with the ferals i do!
    i was quoted $6400 with the catcher, its a 3 week wait!

Hi Greenie
    Are you thinking of getting the Greenfield ride on instead of the Deutscher self propelled slasher?
    Cheers
    hjl

Quote Originally Posted by hjl View Post
    Hi Greenie
    Are you thinking of getting the Greenfield ride on instead of the Deutscher self propelled slasher?
    Cheers
    hjl
    Yea....i think the ride on i could use more than the deutscher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast