Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbies adventures in driving a Walker GHS.

Default Re: Newbies adventures in driving a Walker GHS.

How does the entry level walker MB compare to a hydro lawn tractor as far as slopes go? Which is better. Yesterday the cox hydro was losing traction like buggery on a slope but it was slippery ground. Kinda thinking the best setup would be running two mowers, a greenfield (non-hydro) and also a small ZTR. This would cover all scenarios.

If in doubt, throttle out mate big balls and small brains will put a ZTR anywhere ...trust me, id know :P lol
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    How does the entry level walker MB compare to a hydro lawn tractor as far as slopes go? Which is better. Yesterday the cox hydro was losing traction like buggery on a slope but it was slippery ground. Kinda thinking the best setup would be running two mowers, a greenfield (non-hydro) and also a small ZTR. This would cover all scenarios.
    I'd like to rephrase my question if I may. What is better on slippery slopes. Centre mount ztr (e.g. Toro, Gravely) or out front deck Walker MB. And how would they compare to a hydro lawn tractor? Where else is the extra 4k justified in buying a walker and is it very practical to tilt that deck up every time to store it on a trailer.

You're a pro when it comes to Big balls and small brains???
    Quote Originally Posted by Mow And Go View Post
    If in doubt, throttle out mate big balls and small brains will put a ZTR anywhere ...trust me, id know :P lol
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

I still respond to you mate, take it as you will
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

I can't speak from personal experience Steveo, but when I was looking around for a Walker one of the dealers said the had just sold an MB to someone as it was the only machine that would handle the hills at their property. If you're really interested in one, get in contact with a dealer and they will arrange a demo - you can use it on a job, at your home or wherever so you can see exactly how they perform.

As far as whether the extra $4k is justified - I think you'll be the only person who can answer that. The general feeling I've picked up is that a Walker is great if you want a clean, manicured looking lawn. But a mid-mount ZTR would be your go-to machine if you're just knocking down grass in paddocks etc. Not sure how the MB sits on that scale of things, whether it still gives a super-clean cut like the GHS machines...

Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post
    I can't speak from personal experience Steveo, but when I was looking around for a Walker one of the dealers said the had just sold an MB to someone as it was the only machine that would handle the hills at their property. If you're really interested in one, get in contact with a dealer and they will arrange a demo - you can use it on a job, at your home or wherever so you can see exactly how they perform.

As far as whether the extra $4k is justified - I think you'll be the only person who can answer that. The general feeling I've picked up is that a Walker is great if you want a clean, manicured looking lawn. But a mid-mount ZTR would be your go-to machine if you're just knocking down grass in paddocks etc. Not sure how the MB sits on that scale of things, whether it still gives a super-clean cut like the GHS machines...
    Thanks conrad. Its a tough decision. I don't have any manicured lawns. I have ferals that are covered by the cox 32inch. I have the urge to run a ztr too. i have narrowed it down to Gravely ZT XL 42, Toro MX 36 or MX 42 and the wildcard is walker MB but I would need to flip the deck up every time to make it fit in the trailer and pay the extar 4 or 5 grand.

The other thing to think about is how many obstacles, trees, posts etc. you have on your jobs. And also fence railings that you may be able to sneak the front mount deck underneath, could save a lot of time with the line trimmer depending what your jobs are like. For wide open, back and forth mowing in ferals I think there's really no advantage to having an MB - except possibly on hills, but you'd need to test it out.

The speed is another thing to consider, mid-mounts will be faster - that is if you can use their speed and still get a cut you're happy with! There is a speed up kit available for Walkers, but I found this image that kinda sums it up:

This week - I win!!

Did the entire slope section on the walker, up and down, up and down. A bit slow going but at least I got it done, didn't have to mess around doing the last steep section with the push mower like last time after I got spooked by having the Walker stuck in that bottom corner. Starting to get the hang of it now, even if it the slope does get too steep and it starts to spin around it's easy to get out of it as long as you've got the space, not right up against the garden bed or something.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12