Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real Estate Residential Work

Member of forum only grasshopping's Avatar

Default Real Estate Residential Work

Hi guys, Mark was contacted by a local real estate agent to mow two brand new properties on corner blocks. One took 2-1/2 hrs and the other 5 hrs. What would the going rate be for residential real estate work these days. The only other real estate work we do is a small block of townhouses(communal areas only).

Kathryn
    Grasshopper Mowing Services

Default Re: Real Estate Residential Work

I would be based upon $70ph plus greenwaste (push mowing not ride on)...but everyone is different and there is no right or wrong answer.

Charge whatever you see fit, and just do a nice job.

Sterlo
    I spend most of my money on beer and horses, I just waste the rest....

http://www.sterlinggardenservices.com/

mind u when im done it always ends up being closer to $90ph cause of the add 30% rule ;-)
    I spend most of my money on beer and horses, I just waste the rest....

http://www.sterlinggardenservices.com/

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

I work on the same rate as a residential if I'm in the area plus 5% for waiting a month for the account to be paid. If I have to travel I add extra for travel time.

Quote Originally Posted by grasshopping View Post
    Hi guys, Mark was contacted by a local real estate agent to mow two brand new properties on corner blocks. One took 2-1/2 hrs and the other 5 hrs. What would the going rate be for residential real estate work these days. The only other real estate work we do is a small block of townhouses(communal areas only).

Kathryn
    If its your first work for them and you want more, do it cheap, they are forced to go the cheapest price buy owners, I do a lot of regulars real estates and only get my minimum rate, but the work is all year, easy and they don't bother getting quotes just a call and a email order,

Quote Originally Posted by grasshopping View Post

Kathryn
    From what you are saying you have already done the job? If that's the case can I suggest that it isn't a good idea to go into a job without a price agreement or at least a schedule of rates in place. In my opinion it's asking for trouble.

As for what to charge well it should be your normal hourly or square meter rate for residential. Just because a realestate asked you to do it doesn't mean you change your pricing. I don't agree with adding a percentage to realestate clients for late payment before you have handed them an invoice. A better solution is to hand them a contract stating that after X days a percentage will be added for late payment. If you add it first you are doing two things (1) treating them as lazy payers when they may well pay on time, it will put them offside and (2) lets them know that you expect them to pay late and have already compensated so to them they are paying the privilege to pay late so they may as well just pay late.

Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    If its your first work for them and you want more, do it cheap, they are forced to go the cheapest price buy owners, I do a lot of regulars real estates and only get my minimum rate, but the work is all year, easy and they don't bother getting quotes just a call and a email order,
    Why compete on price when quality and reliability is a better pricing metric. There will come a time when the price is beat down so far it's not worth it and you will be up in arms cussing the estate agents because there is no money in doing them,McHenry really it's your fault for competing on price.

If you want to give them a better rate the better way to do it would be. [We do a really good quality job and we would be happy to give you as the agency a better rate if you can provide us X clients a month. If you don't hit the monthly target then it's a full price cut if they do they you drop the rate and gain x more jobs]. Reward good behaviour and you will get a good price. Your quality won't change because your rate goes down so why not keep the rate reasonable and everyone wins.
    Yes you will be undercut but do you really want to work for someone who is always trying to beat the price down or do you want to work for someone who apprecaites quality ?

Quote Originally Posted by brodie View Post
    From what you are saying you have already done the job? If that's the case can I suggest that it isn't a good idea to go into a job without a price agreement or at least a schedule of rates in place. In my opinion it's asking for trouble.

As for what to charge well it should be your normal hourly or square meter rate for residential. Just because a realestate asked you to do it doesn't mean you change your pricing. I don't agree with adding a percentage to realestate clients for late payment before you have handed them an invoice. A better solution is to hand them a contract stating that after X days a percentage will be added for late payment. If you add it first you are doing two things (1) treating them as lazy payers when they may well pay on time, it will put them offside and (2) lets them know that you expect them to pay late and have already compensated so to them they are paying the privilege to pay late so they may as well just pay late.

Why compete on price when quality and reliability is a better pricing metric. There will come a time when the price is beat down so far it's not worth it and you will be up in arms cussing the estate agents because there is no money in doing them,McHenry really it's your fault for competing on price.

If you want to give them a better rate the better way to do it would be. [We do a really good quality job and we would be happy to give you as the agency a better rate if you can provide us X clients a month. If you don't hit the monthly target then it's a full price cut if they do they you drop the rate and gain x more jobs]. Reward good behaviour and you will get a good price. Your quality won't change because your rate goes down so why not keep the rate reasonable and everyone wins.
    Yes you will be undercut but do you really want to work for someone who is always trying to beat the price down or do you want to work for someone who apprecaites quality ?
    Good post Brodie. Some wise words in that lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Steve View Post
    Good post Brodie. Some wise words in that lot.
    I do try. Thanks

I wouldn't be charging them the same rate as residential. For a number of reasons. Firstly they will want to be on a monthly payment turnover and from experience they often dont make this. Secondly they will push you to get jobs done quickly when they want it done not when you can fit it in. Thirdly you will be presented with badly overgrown properties on a regular basis.

I have a schedule of rates for Real Estate that is completely different to residential customers. I charge a lot higher than I do resi jobs. Always have a contract and spell out all the terms. If you dont then your asking for trouble. You need to screw them down just like they screw down tenants. Dont let them dictate terms because you risk losing control of how you operate.

Remember Real Estate Agencies are a business not a residential customer
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Probably 85% of my jobs are Real Estate work. But don't want to talk about it in the open forum

I work for a couple of agents in the hills area and if they dont wont a quoted price I ask how bad it is because they usually are quite long and I then go on my hourly rate plus extra and they pay as they normally need it done asap so I make it worth my while and I haven't missed out on payment yet and it has led to more work.
    Dont sell yourself short if they dont wont pay ask them why didnt they want a quote etc put it back on them for not knowing the state of the properties they are looking after and next time if they ring and they need an urgent job done say there will be an extra charge as you have to move work to get there and you will be quoting on it so you then have covered yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I wouldn't be charging them the same rate as residential. For a number of reasons. Firstly they will want to be on a monthly payment turnover and from experience they often dont make this. Secondly they will push you to get jobs done quickly when they want it done not when you can fit it in. Thirdly you will be presented with badly overgrown properties on a regular basis.

I have a schedule of rates for Real Estate that is completely different to residential customers. I charge a lot higher than I do resi jobs. Always have a contract and spell out all the terms. If you dont then your asking for trouble. You need to screw them down just like they screw down tenants. Dont let them dictate terms because you risk losing control of how you operate.

Remember Real Estate Agencies are a business not a residential customer
    If you get lucky you can get some good real estate agents to work for.
    But then again you can get some shockers too.
    Make your own luck and follow some of this advice.

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

I just dont do work for real estates. Not interested in wasting my time full stop.

^^ yep, learned that lesson many years ago

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

I've found the real estate market in Canberra very hard to get in to. You have to know someone I suspect. The few experiences i have had though have been positive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast