Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Cordless Electric Hedge Trimmers

Default Re: Cordless Electric Hedge Trimmers

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    Ed thanks very much mate for going to the trouble of taking the videos its very much appreciated, its also good to get the opinion of an aussie , as all the other vids are from other countries. When you take them back can you get a reliable yes or no on the speed feed head, I would give the whippy a go if you could fit a speed feed.
    Looking forward to your comments today
    NLALM, before I took the trimmer back, I loaded it up with both 2.4 & 2.7mm line. It fits ok and seems to spin up just as easily as with the 2mm line.(I didn't use it on grass) I don't know if it might overload the motor long term though.
    Looked closer at the inside of the head, & I'd say the speed feed wouldn't work. Can't see how you can lock the shaft, and the thread on the shaft is RH.
    Asked the dealer about it, but they didn't know. The Husq bump head on my petrol trimmer works OK, but it's just a pita to pull it apart to reload.

They have a pole saw coming in the next few weeks, but hadn't heard of an extended hedger coming anytime soon.

Ok, so I talked with the AEG rep who said he would gladly setup a Demo morn/arvo ?
    Said he was unsure wether he could hire the gear out for a day so it could be used in a real world situation, due to legal issues.
    Told him about Ed getting a demo from Husky so, why not us. He said he'd look into it.

Anyhow, with the concept of battery operated gear being used on a pro level, Im enthusiastic to see how it'll go ?
    Im sure its not for everyone, probably more suited to properties of < 1000m2.
    Horses for courses of coarse but, if thats your mainstay, it might be of interest.

I already have a dual batt setup in the vehicle that the tool batteries would be charged from through an inverter.
    Id proly run 3 batteries in a loop on the charger for continuous power.
    Another way would be through solar as cleanairlawncare.com do in the USA.

The system consists of whippy, blower, hedger, chainsaw (with mower about 1-2weeks away so Im told) & poss pole hedger & pole chainsaw coming ?

The AEG HQ"S in Melb is in Mt Waverely so quite central to all those in the east/southeast burbs.

Just trying to gauge interest to get the ball rolling, Scoobs interested, anyone else?

Cheers Fred.

I'd be interested too Fred. Keep me posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post
    Ok, so I talked with the AEG rep who said he would gladly setup a Demo morn/arvo ?
    Said he was unsure wether he could hire the gear out for a day so it could be used in a real world situation, due to legal issues.
    Told him about Ed getting a demo from Husky so, why not us. He said he'd look into it.

Anyhow, with the concept of battery operated gear being used on a pro level, Im enthusiastic to see how it'll go ?
    Im sure its not for everyone, probably more suited to properties of < 1000m2.
    Horses for courses of coarse but, if thats your mainstay, it might be of interest.

I already have a dual batt setup in the vehicle that the tool batteries would be charged from through an inverter.
    Id proly run 3 batteries in a loop on the charger for continuous power.
    Another way would be through solar as cleanairlawncare.com do in the USA.

The system consists of whippy, blower, hedger, chainsaw (with mower about 1-2weeks away so Im told) & poss pole hedger & pole chainsaw coming ?

The AEG HQ"S in Melb is in Mt Waverely so quite central to all those in the east/southeast burbs.

Just trying to gauge interest to get the ball rolling, Scoobs interested, anyone else?

Cheers Fred.
    Let us know how it goes.

Just noticed a few things. The AEG 58v 4AH battery ($269) is dearer than Sthils equivalent AP200 36v 4AH ($215). I use the older Sthil battery AP180 and it is a great battery. It is not necessarily a bad thing that AEG are dearer, if anything it gives credibility to thier claim to it being for professional use. By my very poor understanding of electronics, and correct me if I'm wrong) you'll get less run tiime from the 58v AEg system. Having said that I have rarely if ever had to charge my Sthil battery on a job. Only get the one battery to see how it goes rather than buying extra batteries. I like the look of the AEG trimmer, seems to have the motor up the top and not in the head, also interesting it is a split shaft ( I wonder why as they don't have anything to put on it., if that is for a pole saw or pole hedger you have really pricked my interest as neither SThil or Husky do a split shaft). Even if the whippy was crap buying it as a dedicated pole saw or hedger could be viable down the track.

Hey fred, one thing to watch out for when looking at the trimmers is making sure the head spins the right way so you can edge with it. Found out the hard way that the Sthil cordless trimmer spins the wrong way.

One thing that looks odd with AEG. $299 RRP for the battery charger as opposed to the Sthil standard charger RRP $54.00. That's a massive difference.

Also the SThil HSA86 weighs in at 3.3kg without battery. AEG lists their hedger at 4.98kg but it doesn't say with or without battery. If that is their weight without battery it is a big difference remembering that the big advantage with cordless is it being lighter to work with.

Speaking of Husky I'm trying to see if we can either get a demo or if there is somewhere we can hire them for the day. I've emailed them just waiting for a reply.

Quote Originally Posted by mowbro View Post
    I'd be interested too Fred. Keep me posted.
    No worries Paul, will do.

I think I'll let it go for a little while now so a few more have the chance to see this.
    Also (hopefully) the mower will be available by then so we can see that at the same time.

It looks like its the same as the Echo gear available in the USA but not here (I think?).

Steveo, Im pretty sure its the Volt rating that indicates the power, & the amp/hr rating that indicates run time.
    The amp/hr ratings on the batteries seems to be increasing at a decent pace allowing for longer run times.
    I think AEG has a 6amp/hr batt in the pipeline
    Anyone one here have a good understanding of Auto electrics ?
    Watts, Amps, Volts, etc, etc .............. heads starting to spin
    Cheers Fred.

i am in Fred its going to be the way of the future....

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post
    No worries Paul, will do.

I think I'll let it go for a little while now so a few more have the chance to see this.
    Also (hopefully) the mower will be available by then so we can see that at the same time.

It looks like its the same as the Echo gear available in the USA but not here (I think?).

Steveo, Im pretty sure its the Volt rating that indicates the power, & the amp/hr rating that indicates run time.
    The amp/hr ratings on the batteries seems to be increasing at a decent pace allowing for longer run times.
    I think AEG has a 6amp/hr batt in the pipeline
    Anyone one here have a good understanding of Auto electrics ?
    Watts, Amps, Volts, etc, etc .............. heads starting to spin
    Cheers Fred.
    Yeah I think the 58v would facilitate more power than the 36v meaning you could maybe assume it would have less run time on the same battery.
    It'll come down to the design. If the 56v gear is designed to not use all the power even when you don't need it (say you only use half throttle for a light hedge trim) , it might end up getting longer run times if that makes any sense. I don't think run time will be an issue regardless. Next time I'm in bunnings, hopefully they'll have some to look at. Good pick up about it being similar to the US echo's.

The Husqvarna rep got back to me quickly which was nice, he is trying to tee up a demo day in the not to distant future. Looking in a week or so's time, trying for that anyway. Now this is not to be confused with what Fred is trying to organise as this will be a different day with different products. Fred and i have been speaking off the forum to try and get it all sorted. Fred's in for the Husky demo day, anyone else? If i could get at least 5 people that would be good, but more would be better. No hassle to buy just come and try them out. Would a Saturday suit? Let me know what days suit/times etc. Either through the forum or ring me. I'm also asking whether we can hire them for the day, maybe with a view to refunding that cost if a purchase is made. I'm working through it with the rep, he seems keen which is a good start.

I saw on the Husqvarna website that with there smaller battery they expect a battery to last about as long as a tank of fuel, this might not be an issue if the batteries are reasonable in cost. They also have a backpack battery option with a run time much longer than the smaller option. Youtube has some stuff on it, as does there site.

good work scoob , wish I could be there . But do let us know how it goes. And tell the rep about the guys on the forum that are interested in the gear. Maybe something could be arranged if the rep is keen on some sales...

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    good work scoob , wish I could be there . But do let us know how it goes. And tell the rep about the guys on the forum that are interested in the gear. Maybe something could be arranged if the rep is keen on some sales...
    Good idea mate, bulk buying power.

Hi everyone this is what i received from the Husqvarna dealer in regard to the demo day of the battery powered gear, have a read through to see if any of the dates and times suit and we'll go from there. I asked for a Saturday but was knocked back, i assume they aren't particularly keen to do a Saturday but i could push for it if none of these dates suit. I also tried to push for somewhere like Dandenong show grounds to try out the gear properly but i believe the old chestnut of insurance issues stopped that idea in its tracks. The demo will be at the dealer in Dandenong Sth.

Email from dealer,

Thank you for your time this afternoon on the phone to discuss a Husqvarna Battery powered equipment demonstration day for your Gardening Contractor association members.

The suggested days available for myself and Glenn Farrow, the Husqvarna Dealer Territory Manager are as follows

Monday 22nd of August
    Wednesday 24th of August
    Or
    Thursday 25th of August.

Please confirm which of these days/dates is suitable and also a time on one of these dates. We are able to accommodate from 9 am to 3pm.

See what suits if we can agree on a date and time i'll book it in cheers Craig.

Hi Scoob, Monday 22nd of August would be my preferred date.
    Talked again to the AEG rep (David who is the rep for the South east, ranging from Port Melb to Bairnsdale) who said he was happy to Demo to anyone interested at their worksite so it could be used in that environment. Just need to contact him so proly easier than setting up a demo day trying to suit all at one time.
    Husqvarna looks good but from the research Ive done, Im really leaning towards AEG.
    On paper the Aeg stuff seems to have nearly twice the power, more than considerably cheaper, longer run times, & an unbelievable 6yr on product, 3yr on battery that the rep (verbally) confirmed was for commercial use.
    The mower is now available, it & all the other AEG battery products can be viewed in Bunnings.
    Again, Im not suggesting these products (partic the mower) would be suitable for larger properties but, Im sure they'll have their place in the market if they prove to be durable.
    Cheers Fred.
    ps, Bunnings guy pointed out to me that the Ryobi pole hedger & pole chainsaw would fit the AEG power head, they looked to be reasonable qualitity

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast