Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Laying turf - "budget jobs". How dodgy is too dodgy? Is all the prep really needed??

Question Laying turf - "budget jobs". How dodgy is too dodgy? Is all the prep really needed??

Ok I've been meaning to ask this, but now I have to get on with it because I have a customer wanting to turf around the house after some building work has been done. And they're on a limited budget. I don't want people to start thinking that I'm some kind of dodgy operator!

On turf jobs I've done and quoted jobs that I didn't do, I always based it on the full works:
    • Remove old turf, weeds, roots etc. (if any)
    • Add 150mm (minimum) top soil
    • If not adding top soil, cultivate existing soil to a minimum depth of 150mm & mix in organic fertiliser (compost, manure, etc.) as required
    • Level soil surface with soil spreader & ensure no soil clumps
    • Lightly compact soil with roller, ensure level surface
    • Water soil prior to laying turf, lay turf & water in
    • Top dress any gaps etc.
    • Use roller on turf to ensure level & good turf to soil contact
    • Finally water thoroughly

This process has always given good results. I can't stand turf jobs that aren't level or have rise or dips in the wrong places, so all the manual soil spreading & rolling makes sure it's sweet as.

But I wonder if I'm pricing myself out of work by going through that whole process?

On another job that I helped out on (but was not responsible for) the process looked very different. It went something like this:
    • Spred soil using whatever tool is handy, rake etc.
    • Using existing soil on site, no top soil, no fertilisers
    • Roll out the turf, stomp it down a bit if there's any bad lumps!
    • Water it in, then go over it with the roller if there's time
    • Alternatively walk over each piece of turf as it's laid & don't worry about the roller at the end

That job was also done using B grade green couch (looked like it could have been C grade if there is such a thing). I was kind of horrified when I saw how the job was done, but I guess that shows what I know! I've heard that it's doing very well and looking great. So there ya go! They did get lots and lots of rain right after it was laid, so that would have helped a lot. Never underestimate the ability of lots of water to turn hard soil soft.

So what is the moral of the story? Is all that prep work needed? Or is it better to just rely on good watering to loosen up the soil and allow the roots to penetrate? I notice some work the council has done around the area recently where they're laid a lot of turf strips alongside new gutters. I don't imagine that they would be spending too much time laying that turf, but all of it is actually growing well.

Coming back to the turfing job around a building site: I'm thinking that it might do just as well if I leave the soil as-is, level it up a bit if it's easy enough, but nothing that's going to require back-breaking amounts of work. Then just put the turf down, roll it and water it in & make sure it gets the proper amount of water from then on?

Or does that "slap it down, she'll be right" type of approach only work with green couch? The turf they want for this job is Sir Walter, but I will probably recommend Sapphire because there's shady sections.

Cheers for any info. Feel free to share your "dodgiest" turf install story!

Default Re: Laying turf - "budget jobs". How dodgy is too dodgy? Is all the prep really neede

What ever you feel comfortable doing is what you should be doing. I also add some fertiliser before laying the turf as well. This one has always worked well with the turf and seed jobs I do:

http://www.bunnings.com.au/munns-10k...liser_p2960248
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

Default Re: Laying turf - "budget jobs". How dodgy is too dodgy? Is all the prep really neede

I do mine on the full works list.

I figure its worth doing properly and with cool season grasses its defnitely required

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

The soil on site really decides on your direction. I always quote 2 prices , the works and the bare minimum being around $10m2 difference. Depending how you sell the job as to which way the client will go. I've had some I pegged for the cheap job go for the works once informed of all the pros & cons. Saying all that if using Kikuyu that grow in any situation.

Maybe give the customer two options, quality or el cheapo. Quoting is what worries me about lawn renos. Is this something that should be done on an hourly rate rather than quoted? At least with lawns you can't be out by too much, with lawn renos and irrigation you would have to allow a larger margin of error. Need to also factor in that if someone accepts a quote how do you squeeze in the other lawn mowing jobs without causing stress for yourself.

Cheers all for the comments, I'll keep all of this in mind if another turf job comes up.

But for now the problem was solved - got too busy, couldn't do the job anyway!

Pro Turf Plugger and kikuyu grass, give it water and job done