Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: irrigation problem

Hybrid View

Default irrigation problem

This solenoid box is full of mud, water and roots. I cleaned it out and can see a pinhole leak coming from under the bolt head (not from the gasket). Anyone know how to fix the leak or do I need to replace the solenoid. This is a pain because to cut a long story short I can't turn off the water supply to these solenoids because the owner has a weird temporary watering setup. What type of solenoids are these? Does anyone recognise the brands? Also, there are 4 solenoids but I can only see the need for 3. The 4th one when manually activated doesn't do anything. Could the fourth one be a master valve, how do I tell?IMG_20151027_175721.jpgIMG_20151027_173317.jpg

Default Re: irrigation problem

What a mess !
    If it has a master valve, it will be the first in line.
    The purpose of the master valve is to stop any other valves continuing to run after its designated time elapses.
    The master valve opens/closes simultaneously with all other valves that are programmed to come on.
    The master valve will also be wired at the controller to MV connection & the common connection.
    Chances are that it has a master & it is the master thats leaking.
    If the master is working correctly, no water should be able to get through to the next valve, so it shouldn't leak.
    Are you sure it doesn't have a manual shut off valve ? Crazy if it doesn't !
    It may be as simple as tightening the screw/screws on the leaking valve, but be careful, they're easy to strip.
    Its not the bleed screw thats leaking, is it ? they're the small black plastic ones.
    Make sure the solenoids themselves are tight.
    Pretty sure the valves are Irritrol & you're missing a flow control knob but u can simply take that off the other one.

Cheers Fred.

Thanks fred. Now that I think of it there is another neglected area of the garden that the 4th one probably used to service. I don't think there is a master for the reason you pointed out that the leaking one operates a dripline so there can't be an MV. I might try plumbing tape on that screw. Funny that when i was working on it the leak suddenly stopped. This system has a garden tap that tees off downstream of the irrigation line. It should be the other way round. I'll take a pic if I get an opportunity. I can shut it off but not long enough for the solenoid box to dry out because she has a timer set to water the garden and owner is OS at the moment.

It's a mess alright.

Can you turn the water off at the mains/water meter and I tend to agree with Fred on the Irritrol plus you can buy parts for Irritrol solenoids.

Here is a pic of the tap setup and the solenoid cover (it filled up again after a few days so leak is still there). It's a crazy setup, good for a laugh. The lower tap is whats watering the garden at the moment with that flat green ribbon sprinkler stuff. The higher tap is what someone has used to attach to. Can't turn the top one off without stopping supply to the bottom one. No Backflow either. We are expecting rain do I've shut the top one off and going to wait and see how the pit dries out and maybe determine where the leak is hopefully. submerged solenoids.jpgtaps.jpg

Run away, ................... just run away !
    Cheers Fred.

The crazy thing is that rather than fix the system a new tangle of hoses has been installed at considerable cost and effort. Why didn't they fix the old system. Funny how thing leads to another, with irrigation. One busted fitting gets neglected and the whole system which would have cost hundreds if not thousands goes to ruin. The last big drought destroyed many irrigation systems. You see em all the time, what a waste. True also that irrigation fittings have a finite life but they just make your garden so much more pleasent to be in that they are worth maintaining if the owner appreciates a garden.

Ok not an ideal setup but a fixable one.

Short of fixing the entire system properly I would;

1) disconnect the PVC and install a back flow to the tap head.

2) install a manifold 1 for the irrigation system 1 for the mess of hoses they have there

3) after the manifold install a ball stop valve on each side so you can isolate the system as needed.

Those modifications should be simple and take no longer than 30mins. You can then shut down the leaking irrigation system as long as you need and the other system can still run

Looking at those pictures it's really a easy fix when you install them for a living.i virtually have the same set up front and back
    31102015081.jpg

You can resurect the man on the cross easier than you can fix old irrigation, espcially that installed by others.
    Start again or pray for rain.