Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toro MX 3450

Default Re: Toro MX 3450

Hi steveo
    Yes it is the Toro motor. First impression of fuel consumption that it doesn't use too much. I find the comfortable.
    It would not be for everyone as the small tyre size skids on slopes. I am lucky and don't have many slopes to deal with but some would find it scary.
    Cheers
    hjl

Quote Originally Posted by hjl View Post
    Happy New Year to all at Indy.
    Over the break I have been doing some mowing at my place with the MX 3450.
    The Toro MX 3450 will mow 2 foot high kikyua and 30 inch high Love grass. I am very impressed. I didn't think it would mow that but it did. My cub cadet would/will not mow that high of grass.
    The only other machine I have used that would mow that height and thickness of grass is a greenfield self propelled slasher.
    I have been thinking of buying some type of slasher but I might not need to now.
    Cheers
    hjl
    A guy i know who has worked as a field mobile mechanic for a govt. dept. is called out to any machinery problems from bulldozer to line trimmer repairs,he gave me a few stories re ride on mowers.
    A on side of road slashing day where the blade hit a car differential that someone threw out had the blade come up through the deck.It wasn't a onsite quick fix.
    When taking on jobs at a couple of feet high don't be surprised one day that it costs you a weeks work in repairs,that's the risk you take not knowing what's in the grass no matter what machine your sitting on.
    In previosly owning a toro with a 3m wide cut and in taking on some overgrown work for the first time it didn't take long in going home with a crippled machine needing repairs.
    Pick your jobs and spend sometime walking over it before turning the key

Toro MX3450 has broke a deck belt. Local dealer doesn't have one in stock. Dealer in Toowoomba doesn't have one either. Week away for a belt. Not very happy with that. They both had belts for the 42 inch model so that is the price you pay for getting the small model. My old cub cadet is still at the mechanic's getting fixed. Not having much luck with ride ons.
    Was really liking the little Toro but you shouldn't break a belt in 29 hours should you. No warrantty on belt either.
    Cheers
    hjl

take the old belt to CBC Australia Pty or somewhere simular eg: a Industrial supplier and just get a belt the same size. you should even get a better quality belt for less

While you are there buy a second belt as back up.Realisticlly put a list together thinking of what parts you should have set aside for the next problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    take the old belt to CBC Australia Pty or somewhere simular eg: a Industrial supplier and just get a belt the same size. you should even get a better quality belt for less
    yep, you'll get 3 or 4 for the price of a "toro" belt

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by hjl View Post
    Toro MX3450 has broke a deck belt. Local dealer doesn't have one in stock. Dealer in Toowoomba doesn't have one either. Week away for a belt. Not very happy with that. They both had belts for the 42 inch model so that is the price you pay for getting the small model. My old cub cadet is still at the mechanic's getting fixed. Not having much luck with ride ons.
    Was really liking the little Toro but you shouldn't break a belt in 29 hours should you. No warrantty on belt either.
    Cheers
    hjl
    That is crap. How the hell does a belt break in 29 hours, I would write them an email notifying that it happened, in case there is something amiss that may have caused it but you wouldn't think so. Be wary of how much you pay for a belt, prices vary a lot. A week away for a belt?

Yes a week away for a belt. Has to come from Melbourne. Australia Day holiday in the middle the list of excuses goes on.
    Thanks for the idea about getting a non toro brand belt.
    Cheers
    hjl

It only takes a stick or rock to be thrown or flicked up and thats a belt. Also, mowing very short can put excessive angle between pulleys and belt which can also cause issues. Too much or not enough tension can also cause issues.
    Belts break, carry spares and tools to make it an easy fix.

Twice Ive done drive belts out in paddocks and on top of green ant nests! Deck belt issues fail in comparison! lol

Grass can build up under pulley covers causing heat to wear the belt out on some machines.

Any MX3450 users out there. How are they going. How is the build quality, reliability and fuel consumption? Any gripes about them? Do they cut low enough? Any issues? Would you recommend them?

my gravely is on 1.25" cut 99% of the time, I'd be wary of mowers that only go to 1.5", dependant on the type of clients/lawns you have...

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Hi stevo
    PM re the MX 3450.
    Can say that I will be looking for a different ride on next time.
    Cheers
    hjl

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    my gravely is on 1.25" cut 99% of the time, I'd be wary of mowers that only go to 1.5", dependant on the type of clients/lawns you have...
    just realised it is actually on 1.5", so take no notice of me waffling on....................

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    just realised it is actually on 1.5", so take no notice of me waffling on....................
    I was wondering how you got the ¼" setting.
    I'm only on 1.5" for really flat residential lawns. Bigger, lumpier lawns @ 2" and acreage with native grasses mostly @ 2.5".

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast