Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do we need a Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS)???

Default Re: Do we need a Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS)???

Tbh I don't care who sees it bud, I have everything I need in place regardless and I'm not too concerned in my market in my area of new startups, more so just meaning for other indys who don't need any more pressure in an overly competitive area by giving away vital information in setting up a legit business, or at least being able to portray themselves as one when they otherwise may not be. Ymmv.
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    well if the paid I.L.M.C.O.A Members PRIVATE Forum area had more than 1 Forum it might be usable and get used more often.

All these Forums should be moved to paying members only.
    Business Chat
    Tenders
    Lawn Care
    HEDGE TRIMMING
    Landscaping Gardening
    Lawnmowing Marketing
    Industry Speak
    Irrigation
    TIPS AND TRICKS OF THE TRADE
    Occupational health & safety
    Equipment Service & and Repairs
    General Equipment Discussions
    ^^^^^Agreed^^^^^^
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    Actually my understanding is that it is for high risk work activities. Ride on mowing falls under that category! What is high risk?? Million dollar question! Myabe common sense can answer that for you If you have SOPS & JSA's then you should be ok but that is my opinion.
    Workcover may just see it a little different to me
    Common sense doesn't matter to big business it's all about having the correct paperwork to save there arse and problerly us as contractors as well, in case of an accident or incident ,we now have to supply swms on every job we do now as we only do industrial/government type work it's something we live with now, so everyone who wants do this sort of work has to comply or they don't get a start and the companies which are not asking for swms can get themselves in hot water pretty quick but once you have a proper swms for your work it will cover you on most sites, we use a site called (safety culture) not too expensive and every business we have supplied it to seems to be sufficient for there needs. oh well just another piece of bloody paper I guess cheers

I was told by the local workcover mob that you have a swms for each piece of equipment in your ute that could potential be a hazard. e.g mower, chainsaw etc.

You don't have to have one by law but it will look better if there is an accident and you get investigated. I think the aim is to get you to stop and think what could go wrong and how to lessen the risk so that you are not considered negligent.

I'd recommend if in doubt, ring the workcover people in your state and ask them what you should do. I found them very helpful and happy to help. You may as well use them as that as what they are there for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12