Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: registration for ride ons??

Hybrid View

Default registration for ride ons??

Hi guys,
    Another contractor from another area in Sydney emailed me and told me any ride on mower over 250kg need rego....aparently the RMS put his mower over the scales...it just doesnt maie sense
    If your mowing on private property surely not...

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/regi...ets/mower.html

Default Re: registration for ride ons??

No rego on mine, as long as it doesn't hit crown land I can't see it being an issue
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

That's what i reckon too...
    He must of been driving it on the rd or something

Do you mow nature strips with your ride on?

Ours are all conditionally registered but all it really is is a way for the rms to give you CTP green slip insurance. It's part of the registration fee and can only be obtained through the RMS. it's a bit of piece of mind that if something were to happen while you are on a nature strip or alike that you are covered. I believe that you public liability may also not be viable in this situation if you don't have both but I'm not 100% on that.

You'd be seriously unlucky to get fined for an unrego'd mower ie, unloading onto a road. If you were doing city or council work where you had to drive along road sides between jobs etc then yes, you would for sure need rego. That would be a part of the contract.
    If you are mowing grass on the footpath then you'd be ok. Using it for transport between jobs would be illegal. Never stopped me though! hehe
    http://www.news-mail.com.au/news/pol...sport/2718432/

Do you guys in NSW know that you now have to get a pink slip for your trailer if its over 5 years old.

Only on duel brakes or something I think.

It has to have breaks to qualify for a pink slip. ...
    My trailer i bought brand new last year and i had to get a pink slip for it this year

even trailers without brakes over 5 years old, have to have a pink slip. Greenie what size deck is on the grandstand, it seems to mulch very well, and having the deck out front allows you to get into more areas than you would on that size ztr. Love the vids mate, good to be able to put a face to your posts

Really, I have a boat trailer and a box trailer, no brakes, both more than 10 yrs old, never had to get a pinky?

Quote Originally Posted by BSD View Post
    Really, I have a boat trailer and a box trailer, no brakes, both more than 10 yrs old, never had to get a pinky?
    I'm not sure but I think if its over 750kg , I just know I had to get one today, first time ever, just another hassel in the life of a lawnie

In QLD you need conditional rego on any ride on / small tractor if you unload on the road or mow the verge out the front of your client's property. Not a joke or the case of it doesn't matter - a work associate of mine was done by two cops in a plain car cruising the country back roads - they had apparently has a field day that morning booking many a ride on mower user mowing the nature strip out the front of their property. My associate was done for unloading on the road verge and then driving into the client property - charged with using an unregistered motor vehicle. No joke. cheers GAMS

Recall reading in The Age that someone got done for driving unregistered/uninsured vehicle (think it's about $780 infringement + demerit points here in Vic) for driving a forklift immediately outside their business whilst unloading goods off a truck that was parked outside their business premises on the street. May even have been 'common property' / carpark area of a block of industrial units as that can be defined in traffic law a 'a public place'.
    Cop(s) must have been having a seen it as a way of 'catching lawbreakers, appearing to justify their existence and raise revenue' . Maybe they were having a bad day.

Quote Originally Posted by GAMS View Post
    In QLD you need conditional rego on any ride on / small tractor if you unload on the road or mow the verge out the front of your client's property. Not a joke or the case of it doesn't matter - a work associate of mine was done by two cops in a plain car cruising the country back roads - they had apparently has a field day that morning booking many a ride on mower user mowing the nature strip out the front of their property. My associate was done for unloading on the road verge and then driving into the client property - charged with using an unregistered motor vehicle. No joke. cheers GAMS
    This should clear it up, from the police website.
    Officer in Charge Sergeant Rob Jorna confirms that under the ‘Transport Road use Management Act 1995’ a ride-on mower is classed as a motor vehicle and as such must be registered if driven on a road or road-related area.
    However, a ride-on mower is exempt when it is being used as a mower to cut grass. This is to go so far as to mowing the council footpath and or easement connected to the boundary of your property.

http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/bundaberg...wer-transport/

Quote Originally Posted by NLALM View Post
    even trailers without brakes over 5 years old, have to have a pink slip. Greenie what size deck is on the grandstand, it seems to mulch very well, and having the deck out front allows you to get into more areas than you would on that size ztr. Love the vids mate, good to be able to put a face to your posts
    Thanks mate, I'm enjoying doing the videos, working by myself all day gets to me sometimes and making the videos makes me happy to share my day
    The grandstand has a 36" deck. you can get bigger ones but 36" is good for me and the work I do