Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: new oil

Default new oil

Just a general enquiry.....guy at the mower shop said I should change mower oil every week....I said I only do 20 lawns a week with it....( rover procut 50 kohler motor)....but he was insistent 20 lawns equals new oil.....maybe hes right I don't know...seems a little excessive to me....How often is the correct often.....

Default Re: new oil

Quote Originally Posted by lemonhead View Post
    Just a general enquiry.....guy at the mower shop said I should change mower oil every week....I said I only do 20 lawns a week with it....( rover procut 50 kohler motor)....but he was insistent 20 lawns equals new oil.....maybe hes right I don't know...seems a little excessive to me....How often is the correct often.....
    the manual will have the recommendation, I think its SAE 10w-30 @25hrs. His pretty close if you spend an hour on each lawn. probably best to stick an hour meter on it so you are not wasting your time and money changing it too frequently.

every 6 months or so for me, or if it starts looking dirty....your manual will probably recommend "xxx" brand oil, so I'm a little sceptical of their claims re hours

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Start of summer and end of busy season sounds about right..

Adding an hour meter as per Steveo's suggestion is a good idea. Not expensive on evilbay and trivial to fit.

How much oil does it take - prob way less than a litre and given that its not that expensive per litre if you shop around or pick it up when supercheap or like have it on special and pref buy 'in bulk'. Ie 5 or 20l drum, replacing oil is far cheaper than replacing 'worn out metal' in the engine.

All i do is check it every month if it's dirty change it. .if it's not dirty there is no need to change it! !
    Sounds like your dealer is trying to increase his work load

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    All i do is check it every month if it's dirty change it. .if it's not dirty there is no need to change it! !
    Sounds like your dealer is trying to increase his work load
    spot on spot on spot on is that 14?

full syntetic will hold up better, change when dirty or every month through spring

I mow 8 lawns a day, and i have never changed the oil monthly!! my mowers do have oil filters though, i only change when its dirty and thats probably every 2.5 months!