Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: lawn mowing and the environment

Default lawn mowing and the environment

With the environment being a big issue with a lot of people it has me thinking
    wether we could claim that we are relatively ok for the environment?

Anyone hazard a guess as to how much petrol they are using on their equipment other than the ute? Would it be more or less than a car owner who does a 9-5 5 day a week commute?

Default Re: lawn mowing and the environment

as long as we have coal burning power stations, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it Steve

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

True. There are way bigger issues for sure but people are often made to feel guilty about trivial things so armed with this info you can give em the bird and spout out the following facts (well I hope they are facts).

from the ABS website.

Motor vehicles registered in Australia travelled an average of 13,800 kilometres per vehicle in the 12 months ended 31 October 2014.
    The average rate of fuel consumption for all motor vehicles in 2014 was 13.3 litres per 100 kilometres

So on that info I calculate an average vehicle uses roughly 1800 litres per annum.

I estimate I use 420 litres per annum on my mowers, blowers, hedgers, whippies etc.

That is less than one quarter of what an average motor vehicle uses.

My answer would be,
    My home 4.9kw solar system has produced 15,570Kwh of free power with half of that exported and saved 8,700kg in CO2 in under two yrs of operation, so F* Off to who ever ribbed me.

(Info sourced from the Kaco Inverter scroll display)
    Cheers Garry

My answer would be, for every do-gooder around, there is a prick like me balancing out all your good doing. For every solar using Prius lover, there is a diesel chaff emitting wood fire burning asshole. So in short, lose the guilt and live life mate. There is NO true clean technology as somewhere in its production, there's a carbon footprint.
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

Steve, in answer to your question 'are we relatively okay for the environment', no is the simple answer.
    We use petrol powered environment and produce carbons.
    We also, on average, travel more than a lot of people in our jobs. Think of white collar workers and the like that use public transport.
    Add to that a lot of use diesel utes.

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    My answer would be,
    My home 4.9kw solar system has produced 15,570Kwh of free power with half of that exported and saved 8,700kg in CO2 in under two yrs of operation, so F* Off to who ever ribbed me.

(Info sourced from the Kaco Inverter scroll display)
    what relevance is that stupid answer to the question asked. No relevance whatsoever. So what, you're not the only contractor out there with a solar system. Next you'll be telling us yours is bigger than everyone else's

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    With the environment being a big issue with a lot of people it has me thinking
    wether we could claim that we are relatively ok for the environment?

Anyone hazard a guess as to how much petrol they are using on their equipment other than the ute? Would it be more or less than a car owner who does a 9-5 5 day a week commute?
    Only people i see so concerned about the environment seem to be unemployed hippies standing in front of some business holding up a protest banner

Quote Originally Posted by m287j View Post
    what relevance is that stupid answer to the question asked. No relevance whatsoever. So what, you're not the only contractor out there with a solar system. Next you'll be telling us yours is bigger than everyone else's
    Absolutely No Relevance what so ever. Apologies to Steveo, but had a few Do Gooder's outside of mowing of late that can stir me up at times.
    Cheers Garry

"Adieu" at 1671
    Cheers Garry

More inane drivel or did I miss something?
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by RSM-Gazza View Post
    Absolutely No Relevance what so ever. Apologies to Steveo, but had a few Do Gooder's outside of mowing of late that can stir me up at times.

It's all good mate, no probs at all. No need to apoligise at all. If you do go cordless you really can claim to be environmently friendly on your website.

I only started this thread because I was toying with the idea of adding some content to my website regarding this topic.

Re environment and us our equipment will be in for some big changes soon or at least that's what i've been told. Tougher regs coming in with emission laws that will effect some machines we know and love (i have a mate in the trade). Be interesting to see what we are left with. Battery powered stuff seems to be the way it's going.