Hi Guy
    Had a lady come up it me today claiming that i smash
    Her car window she told me she was going the other way
    and i was wippersnipping the other way she said i smashed
    It it i dont think that i did she did not stop right away then when she
    Did i said can she prove it she said no and i said im not pay for it if she
    cant prove it so she jacked up and drove off and took my number plate
    dont no he name or nothing should i have to pay or not what is the law
    Any help would be great if i have to pay i will but dont want to pay if i dont have to
    Thanks

Default Re: Broken car window

Hi Ryan I had a similar instance where a guy approached me and told me I had broken his house window in a neighbouring property he even showed me a rock that apparently broke his window we both searched the yard I was mowing and could not find any rocks on or near the lawn & there is a six foot fence between properties so it would have had to have curved over the fence..told him I was not paying..he took my business name and number told me I was going to pay ..never saw him again

She most likely has insurance so wouldn't loose sleep & if you're sure it was not you don't pay
    If your not sure and it was possible (stones in the area you we're snipping)
    Offer half the cost of repairs or excess of her insurance and say your not completely sure but happy to pay half and go from there

But without proof she can't demand anything from you if you don't want to pay
    ....Nothing like a good whipper....

I had a case where neighbour accused me of running over spark plug & smashing their window, but didn't tell me for a week. when I was there they had asked for quote as grass 2 foot high, when I went round to see window grass had been cut & there were 3 spark plugs in a parking area rite by grass, told them that it was not me as obviously the missing one had went thru window when they did the grass,, when pressed them for date that it happened they gave wrong day ! some people just try it on, they have to prove it was u that did this

I have broken a few windows over the years including my own, you have a tendency to know that you have launched something when you do. I would look around once I had this feeling and it was ok 98% of the time. Most people who's car windows are broken when driving will pull up straight away and come back and abuse you, I know it's happened to me twice in 20 odd years. House windows are different kettle of fish some people aren't home so they will not notice until that evening. I have gone halves twice on windows as the people had stones in their yards. Twice I have refused to pay as I knew the windows were already broken.
    I got into a habit years ago to take a quick walk around places especially new jobs and checked for broken windows, doors and any other damage, took pics on my phone. Has saved me a lot of money.

What happened to being able to edit posts???? I always checked windows and doors before I left to.

Son in law had a small stone flick up and hit the glass sliding door,glazier quoted $1,000 to replace.Can easily happen to any contractor

Sad part is you can buy a complete sliding glass door (2400 wide) with a security screen for 1200 odd dollars (bought a couple 12 months ago) and the thieving glaziers try to justify 1 sheet of glass for a grand - highway robbery..

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    What happened to being able to edit posts???? I always checked windows and doors before I left to.
    Normally when you hit the "edit" tab