Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: mulchmaster renewal

Default Re: mulchmaster renewal

After 2 weeks of intense head scratching, I think I've got my gearbox sorted.
    I don't know what caused the initial lock-up, but it seems when I pulled it apart, a pin fell out of the shaft & I put it back into where I thought was the only place where it could possibly go.
    Apparently it wasn't the right place for it, so I took it out this morning & put the box back together & it's working properly again... but I've got a spare pin.

I've got the mower back together and I'm tempted to give it a trial on an overgrown lawn this week without oil or sealant to make sure it's fixed. Then pull it apart again & try to find a home for the lonely pin & seal it up properly. I probably shouldn't, but I'm sick of looking at the thing on my workbench

from memory there are 2 pins, one is inside a gear and a bit of a bugger to keep in place while re-assembling........from (dim) memory lol

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    from memory there are 2 pins, one is inside a gear and a bit of a bugger to keep in place while re-assembling........from (dim) memory lol
    Yep Paul. There are 2 pins through the shaft, but there is no way I can get the gear to free wheel with the second pin in place. I pulled it apart again this arvo. I think I'll put some oil in it & seal it up & see how it goes with just the one pin that the clutch cone sits on.

I gave up on my gearbox & ordered a new one.
    Re-grooved the wheels & might get a bit more life out of them. Surprising there is no wear in the wheel gears & pinions at all.
    I'll give this cogged belt a go.

IMG_20190626_143240rs.jpg IMG_20190626_145431rs.jpg

let me know how you go with the new box - assuming its the GT Agility box, its a bit of a jiggle to get the cable to suit.....they seem to be a much better unit though even being plasticky

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Tip - For the Guys who have a 560 M/Master,

Mines about 9 yrs old and the 2nd gear box is going now. (So the orig when new and now the 2nd replacement)

Get your impact driver and remove the 4 Cap Head Screws holding the lower bash plate out whilst its Winter if you can. Clean out the threads with the airgun and thinner/Kero whatever.
    Re grease and tighten the screws back in, maybe also free up the 2 cap screws with the holding tab that retain the S/P drive axle unit and re tighten.
    I say do it in winter incase they snap being welded like in.

These cap screws totally weld themselves with the wet/gritty/corrosive enviro they live in.
    Fitting a new Gearbox of the type Redeye has mentioned.
    I've wasted bucket loads of time and Saber left hand cobalt+ Suttons right hand drill bits & extractors.

Will be now using S/Steel 6m bolts/ nuts/loctite for the Bash Plate attachment and new hi tensile cap bolts for the drive unit as the drive bolts thread are the only not destroyed luckily.

What a total pain, even knocked back a new large job as I need to get this 560 back in shape.

Also found a cap screw missing on the bash plate under the S/P gearbox unit which was allowing the gear box unit to rotate a little more than it should with the unfixed hanging plate.
    Cheers Garry

I must have been lucky with mine Garry. Mine all came out with no problems for the first time since new 5 years ago.
    I'll anti-seize them when I put it back together. New gearbox arrived in town today so hopefully get it mobile tomorrow arvo.

Darn night mare its been, hate it totally when jobs F/Up and becomes a real hassle. Thank the Goodie'o's its winter and not spring.
    Even one of the black plastic chute bolts snapped in half inside the casting whilst using the impact driver carefully (i/d variable 3sp too) - but that's a minor easy to get to one to fix.
    Got a new S/P cable with little spring at end too as the cable can stretch and wear with loose strands at the lower outlet.

Good that yours came out easy, new gearbox looks a bit weird.

Next week one of me 216's need it's gear box removed too, bugger.. But they get more use so replacement intervals are more often meaning less bolt issues. Got to get all the gear right for late August onwards.
    Cheers Garry

Whilst in Redeye's Renewal Post,

Another task with the Mulchmaster 560 is the Engine which is the fitted GSV 190 now discontinued in Au . The motor has had its days of glory.
    I've two very good condition Victa Turfmaster Honda GXV 160 powered motors siting in the shed still attached to those not used T/Master mowers.

Victa Mulchmaster and Victa TurfMaster both have pulleys fitted for drive belts between the blade plate and base of engine. I believe there are 3 models in the GXV 160 re length of protruding shaft and there were 4 models in the 190 unit.
    The Turfmaster honda engines have a bit higher raised alloy air exhaust area cast in the motor where they bolt to the deck. I'm hoping the GXV is transplantable.

After getting the Mulchmaster gearbox shorted hopefully soon. Next will see me working on a back up Honda 216 S/P gearbox as I run two 216's like swapping gas bottles when one plays up which is rare.

As equipment gets older so does the maintenance - bugger !!
    Cheers Garry

as long as the shaft isnt too short, they'll be fine - you can always pack up the height on the mounting bolts

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

as long as the shaft isnt too short, they'll be fine - you can always pack up the height on the mounting bolts
    I don't reckon they will be on short side, guess I find out some time in August.
    I do remember you posting about how you had to pack up the engine as the shaft on the engine you bought was on the long side.
    Cheers Garry

Completed the change of engines today/
    The Mulchmaster had a badly worn smoking like the absolute clappers on start up with the original GCV190 engine.

Had not used for the many yrs 2 Victa Turmasters both with GXV160 in great condition. Turfmasters are S/P and have a belt pulley S/P drive.

Wasn't sure if the shafts would be Ok etc for a swap over. Same Bosses too used on both mowers.

Well the Turfmaster set up had a very similar pulley, slightly smaller in Diameter but same where the belt fits.
    Distance from pulley edge to end off Boss that fits the blade deck was 1cm greater.

Fitted the motor raised it by 3 thick honda washers that came off the 2 Turfmasters. 3 thick washers where almost 1cm. (Did what you did Redeye when you got the longer shaft and what you said to do)
    Blade height within the underside deck looked perfect and perfect at the front between the 2 front wheels.

Raising by 3 washer leaves an air gap between Motor base and deck, but the mulchmaster has a small cutout on the deck for the shaft entry not much bigger than the splined boss. So not expecting grass to flick out and it didn't whilst testing it on my lawn,my lawn wasn't long. But easy fix it required, the Turfmaster had a two thick
    washer air gap and larger near dinner plate sized cut out and didn't throw grass out in mulch mode. So all will be good.

Bl**dy great when a job works and nothing goes wrong, whilst done rather quick and save me $500 + freight for new engine. Plus I've still another GXV160 engine spare, if I stay mowing long enough to use it.

Edit; Plastic Pulley Guard clears the belts at engine entry/exit OK, but one could raise the front of it by a washer insert if needed.

160 motor installed
    Attachment 9511

190 motor out and 2nd 160 as a spare
    Attachment 9512
    Cheers Garry

well done Garry! great result

Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

well done Garry! great result
    Yep had it in mind prior to starting the job that engine you bought with the longer than expected shaft. Distance between motor base and start of pulley was same on both mowers i had.

It's great when a job works quickly and easy, without Helicoil repairs, correct tools/parts on hand, no wasted 1hr going to Bunning n back and no Bandaids required.

Plus you test it and height 3 & 4 most common used mow the same.

Had work to do today but pulled a sickie and early arvo got motivated to do it.

Another Mulchmaster lives on after a transplant. Seriously - I couldn't do my rounds with out the Mulchmaster. It was off the road for a couple months with a failed Gearbox and Smokin motor and then the New Gen G/Box hassles incurred.

The mulch plug had been repacked with builder blog re wear holes previously. This time the holes where greater and more off, so put some polyester mesh in and filled with greater amounts of builders bog. Did this last week.
    Cheers Garry

Gave the Mulchmaster a workout yesterday but more so today in heavy going clover, cape weed, Kikuyu and damp/wet conditions in mulch mode with plug in. Blades were still cupped, so it stalled a few times. But that would have happened with the 190 engine.
    Bigger fuel tank now as it was pain before, it’s a better mower now with the easier RPM adjustment, better air filter, etc that the 160 motors delivers. Including first pull start for a motor thats been sitting for many yrs.
    Better noise tone too for the customer and operator. Had the wifi rpm recording a nice 5450.

Re the 3 washer engine height, now that I’m 2 days into using the motor - it looks flat on the deck now and that watch if grass escapes I mentioned was all crap. Just over thinking when ones putting 3 washers in for engine height.
    Cut heights match before = bonus.
    So near new motor on and new G/Box/cable and axle assembly = magic.

Took both old Victa Turfmasters minus some parts n motors and the 190 motor to the tip transfer station which was free being metal or under Dan’s new e-waste being free too.

Tip, it you snap a handle behind the throttle lever on an all Honda 216 mower which has happened twice to me. The Victa handle tubing is narrower and a cut piece can be inserted inside a 216 handle - welded and is then stronger than before. So I kept one Victa handle.
    Cheers Garry

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast