http://www.bunnings.com.au/search/pr...directFrom=Any

Any thought?

Default Re: AEG 58v cordless range

These guys were impressed.All depends how long the battery lasts
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWi1RjVu4uM

Yeh. I havent seen them yet

Anyone bought the AEG 58v line trimmer as yet?

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    Anyone bought the AEG 58v line trimmer as yet?
    No, tried the Husky and ego gear and some of the stihl range though.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Steve View Post
    No, tried the Husky and ego gear and some of the stihl range though.
    Well between the two of us we have it covered. What did you think of the Husky and EGO gear?

I run the sthil gear (HSA86, HLA86 and the arborist chain saw) and now I have taken a punt on the AEG trimmer. So far so good, seems like a ripper. I ve put a speed feed on it, changed the flimsy and uncomfortable D handle, put a smaller guard on it and its the ducks guts. Slightly top heavy towards the battery end as far as balance goes but loads of power (more than I thought), in fact it has 2 speed settings and the high setting is crazily fast. The low speed is adequate for my yard anyway. Apparently the AEG take the Ryobi and homelite attachments too. I really want to try it with an articulated hedger attachment as I reckon it should balance out nicely.

The obvious weak points to me appear to be the coupling fitting where the extension locks in feels flimsy and weak. Also the metal tube that the spline goes down feels like a very light alloy. It has a 5mm (roughly) square spline. My hitachi splines fit so if I do some fidgeting maybe I can get em to fit. Touch wood.

Just my opinion but i reckon the Husky gear while good quality seemed a tad under powered for my needs, you'd have to demo them yourself to be sure. The ego blower is a winner, the other parts of the ego range is ok without being great, just my opinion though try them yourself to be sure. Tried the stihl hla 65 and it's a winner, i normally run the 36cc multi and while not up to that power it's close without all the fumes and noise. You can hire the stihl battery gear here in Melbourne so i'm about to get the BGA 100 blower and the FSA 90R loop handle version for a trial will report back with my thoughts shortly.

I have been told the hla85 will be out soon . Its the telescoping hedge trimmer. Scoob I look forward to your review of those machines

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Steve View Post
    Just my opinion but i reckon the Husky gear while good quality seemed a tad under powered for my needs, you'd have to demo them yourself to be sure. The ego blower is a winner, the other parts of the ego range is ok without being great, just my opinion though try them yourself to be sure. Tried the stihl hla 65 and it's a winner, i normally run the 36cc multi and while not up to that power it's close without all the fumes and noise. You can hire the stihl battery gear here in Melbourne so i'm about to get the BGA 100 blower and the FSA 90R loop handle version for a trial will report back with my thoughts shortly.
    I don't really like my HLA65, the balance is out and don't like the motor up at the head. What did you think of the EGO 21inch SP Mower. i haven't seen one myself but looks pretty good according to this review https://youtu.be/wlGx_yxi_Gc clip. Shame the lowest cut height is 28mm. Bit over 30kgs incuding battery. $35 for a new bar blade. The ego hedgers also look good.

i tried FSA90R.. didnt like it. Very heavy at the front and not balance at all due to big motor.

Quote Originally Posted by jal2007 View Post
    i tried FSA90R.. didnt like it. Very heavy at the front and not balance at all due to big motor.
    Yep, that ones a shocker, no way is that suitable for commercial use.

I put the AEG trimmer to work today and after one semi-overgrown yard I was disapointed. Its going back to the retailer and I'm giving up on cordless trimmers. It gave me an aching forearm from the weight balance being too heavy at the battery and there is too much lag when the engine is engaged. It's like driving a diesel and you get the lag in the middle of an intersection with traffic coming at you at 80klms an hour, you put the foot down and there is nothing there. Maybe this is because the motor is mounted up the top rather than at the head, but I aint buying one with a head mounted motor either. I dunno, I don't care , its back to the trusty 2 stroke for me.

Yep, that ones a shocker, no way is that suitable for commercial use.

I put the AEG trimmer to work today and after one semi-overgrown yard I was disapointed. Its going back to the retailer and I'm giving up on cordless trimmers. It gave me an aching forearm from the weight balance being too heavy at the battery and there is too much lag when the engine is engaged. It's like driving a diesel and you get the lag in the middle of an intersection with traffic coming at you at 80klms an hour, you put the foot down and there is nothing there. Maybe this is because the motor is mounted up the top rather than at the head, but I aint buying one with a head mounted motor either. I dunno, I don't care , its back to the trusty 2 stroke for me.
    Nothing like the smell of two stroke in the morning

I don't really like my HLA65, the balance is out and don't like the motor up at the head. What did you think of the EGO 21inch SP Mower. i haven't seen one myself but looks pretty good according to this review https://youtu.be/wlGx_yxi_Gc clip. Shame the lowest cut height is 28mm. Bit over 30kgs incuding battery. $35 for a new bar blade. The ego hedgers also look good.
    The ego hedgers are good but, since buying my Stihl hla65, it doesn't get a look in.
    Neither do our other range of 2 stroke hedgers.
    To ME, its the best hedging advancement that Ive bought in over 10yrs.
    Only thing I can't attest to at this stage is reliability/longevity, as we've only had it 3-4months.
    Love every other aspect of it. Steveo, what battery are you using? This may affect the balance.
    We use the ap300 & to me, its perfectly balanced. The D handle gets binned straight away.

Cheers Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post
    The ego hedgers are good but, since buying my Stihl hla65, it doesn't get a look in.
    Only thing I can't attest to at this stage is reliability/longevity, as we've only had it 3-4months.
    Love every other aspect of it. Steveo, what battery are you using? This may affect the balance.
    We use the ap300 & to me, its perfectly balanced. The D handle gets binned straight away.

Cheers Fred.
    You might be on to something there fred. I only have the AP180 which I dont think they make any more. Do you put a different handle on it or just run it without?

Just with these Sthil cordless hedgers, I suspect the blades aren't as hard as my Makita petrol extension hedger was. Either that or there isn't enough torque and power to slice cleanly thru the harder/thicker wood. My new one that I've only had a week needs a few teeth touched up already. It's just so light and pleasant to use that it is tempting to push it too hard which is why you still need petrol as backup and for the tougher wood. Great machines though, especially the HSA86. I also reckon the STHil batteries and chargers are a better sleeker design than the AEG. MY AP180 is still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's mowing View Post

Cheers Fred.
    i am sold on your experience Fredrick...from you thats a big plus to say you put the 2 stroke hedgers away ....thanks mate very good advice

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast